• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BRP in now making outboards

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BRP redesigned the etec from scratch after acquiring Evinrude. They released the etec G2 in 2015 I think. My daughter bought one on a tritoon in 2016. So far the block has cracked and been replaced completely and the power trim unit failed and had to be replaced. Also the power steering was screwed up and took three times to get fixed. She is out of warranTy now so I hope nothing else breaks.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
And electric snowmobiles.......... although I'm not sure some of these recreational EV's will ever be practical.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 6.37.16 AM.png

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live for tech and it pays the bills... just pondering water as the universal solvent and a resting waterline half way up the cylinder block..

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live for tech and it pays the bills... just pondering water as the universal solvent and a resting waterline half way up the cylinder block..
Same issue as most inboards right?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well kinda... the water line in the jet boats (well at least mine is essentially even with the bottom of the oil pan) I was more thinking about what mechanisms would seal your motor pod from water intrusion that would not degrade over time...after all is a boat right?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well kinda... the water line in the jet boats (well at least mine is essentially even with the bottom of the oil pan) I was more thinking about what mechanisms would seal your motor pod from water intrusion that would not degrade over time...after all is a boat right?
Yea, I get that. Those seals are the primary defense from water intrusion. I feel it's a lot like the bellows on an I/O. Not a completely insurmountable problem to solve, but still has some inherent risk. Same as the bearing seal in a Yamaha, or the carbon seals in the Scarabs.

In regards to the linked Manitou. The performance seems a little down for a 24ft with a 150hp motor. I would have expected to see another 5mph or so on the top end, and best cruise up closer to 25mph or so. Also feels like 13sec to 30 is a bit on the low side. Not sure a 150 was the right choice for that boat, regardless of the tech in the outboard.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
80k+ for a never seen before outboard that sits underwater requires some strong faith.

I'm very curious on seeing these engines installed and understood. Where's the air intake? How do you open for service and spark plug replacement???

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, I get that. Those seals are the primary defense from water intrusion. I feel it's a lot like the bellows on an I/O. Not a completely insurmountable problem to solve, but still has some inherent risk. Same as the bearing seal in a Yamaha, or the carbon seals in the Scarabs.

In regards to the linked Manitou. The performance seems a little down for a 24ft with a 150hp motor. I would have expected to see another 5mph or so on the top end, and best cruise up closer to 25mph or so. Also feels like 13sec to 30 is a bit on the low side. Not sure a 150 was the right choice for that boat, regardless of the tech in the outboard.
I tend to agree... I like to see a little power in reserve mostly when the weather gets bad quickly... I've actually leaned more toward a little less speed and a little better ride quality in rough water giving me more usable boating days... at least here where wind is the primary concern... and serviceability on that configuration...

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definately innovative. A lot of clever ideas. Modularity opens up many options for both original build and later owner customizations. The BRP design allows for an uninterrupted swim platform - which has always been a downside to outboards.

However, I would not be an earlly adopter on this one. I would let the tech prove itself for a lifecycle or so before buying it myself, were i interested (I am not). This many changes from the proven all at once brings way too many unexplored new failure modes for my comfort and wallet.

Also, the boating industry acts as if normal people can afford toys in the $100K window. Now that money is no longer nearly free, most cannot.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, unlike other outboard, it seems to have the engine with the shaft on vertical orientation and 2x 90degree bends in power direction, similar to inboard configuration over other conventional outboards. Maybe it's bolted shut and not serviceable while underway?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
80k+ for a never seen before outboard that sits underwater requires some strong faith.

I'm very curious on seeing these engines installed and understood. Where's the air intake? How do you open for service and spark plug replacement???
Except it's 80K for the boat and motor. Not a big fan on pontoons, but I like the Manitou that was tested in the linked article. Kind of like a grown up Seadoo Switch.

1671416277372.png

Also found this picture on-line:
1671416420074.png

My guess is that the new BRP engine will have a price that is somewhat comparable to a tradition outboard engine. I do share the concerns about a new engine without a track history.

Jim

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right, I just thought the boat is now linked eternally to the engine without any other alternatives to fit in that space if the idea flops. Who knows, not much can be done underway opening the cowling to try to restore service, but as a kid I recall many "happy" interactions by the adults resulting in a running motor after some tinkering. Even starting a johnson 200hp engine by hand/rope when the starter failed. Maybe the idea takes hold and the design is copied in the future?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a little dose of reality on toons.

Buddy just bought a 2022 Harris with 150 on it. Pontoon, not tritoon. It's loaded, and this model Solstice 23 is on the high end for "pontoons" with JL audio throughout, and Simrad in the dash. It was just shy of $90K list and will top out just shy of 30mph. This is pretty normal.

Other buddy, bought his used Bennington "tritoon" with Yamaha 150 for around $35K 5 years ago, with sealegs and trailer. If he spec'd this boat now it would be pushing $125K. These boats are not even in the same realm as the SeaDoo switch for luxury and comfort, let alone space.

Yes, 150hp is a very common motor for pontoons. It's considered the max hp on most pontoons. Entry level toons at the dealers in our region are usually 90-115hp, allowing them to hit a price point between $25k-$30K. Most of the units with larger hp are Tritoons, as it's needed to handle the power and weight. The Tri listed above is actually rated for 250hp. With the 150 Yamaha it tops around 32mph. With a 250hp, it may pull 35-37mph.

Honestly, nobody should be running these faster than that, they are just not safe until you get "tuned-toons" In other words, the Bennington above has elliptical toons, which are shaped for cornering. With a much larger center toon, allowing it to bank corners like a hull. You would never pull these maneuvers with a pontoon, and for sure not with any large HP. And those crazy Dual motor toons are usually a 10' beam tritoon for stability.

As far as the motor and where the water line sits, I have faith that BRP has that under control. SeaDoo watercraft are multi-piece hulls and they have some great magic for keeping water out of those air boxes. This should not be much of an issue in those outboards as they could be mostly submerged as long as the airbox stays dry. Our SXS engines live underwater as long as the airbox and exhaust are open.

I do have grand ideas of a hydraulic swim deck still for these toons. Seats at the water's edge, what a novel idea.

Last edited:

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Except it's 80K for the boat and motor. Not a big fan on pontoons, but I like the Manitou that was tested in the linked article. Kind of like a grown up Seadoo Switch.

View attachment 192119

Also found this picture on-line:
View attachment 192120

My guess is that the new BRP engine will have a price that is somewhat comparable to a tradition outboard engine. I do share the concerns about a new engine without a track history.

Jim
Is it me, or does that swim platform seem like an inefficient use of space? Compared to the natural feel of ours on our Yamahas, it seems like they kind of shoehorned that in and it's way too big to be used for a sitting area. Looks like they extended awkwardly long it to cover the longer outboard?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other buddy, bought his used Bennington "tritoon" with Yamaha 150 for around $35K 5 years ago, with sealegs and trailer. If he spec'd this boat now it would be pushing $125K. These boats are not even in the same realm as the SeaDoo switch for luxury and comfort, let alone space.
Good friend with the 'toon has a Berkshire 24ft with a 3/4 center toon and a 150hp Mercury 4-stroke on it. He runs an honest 35mph at WOT, and it's like a damn tractor. 15 people and 10 coolers on board 35mph, just him and a soft drink; 35mph. He could cruise slower, but he rarely runs through a tank of fuel in a day, so he drives it fairly "binary" either WFO or idle. It's fairly well optioned with some stainless bits, the upsized outboard, and a decent stereo. I want to say he paid $40k-ish for it brand new in '18. I just did a quick search and I can't find anything new and comparable under $60k.

Perhaps $80k is a decent number for what you're getting there in the Manitou. I know Manitou is a reputable brand, and often those big twin powered 'toons are Manitous. Local marina uses them exclusively for their rental fleet and they appear to be in good shape after a couple years in service. I can't see in the article if this is a tri-toon or a standard double. Also noticed LOA is 26'4" so it's a shade longer than a traditional 24ft.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not understanding how this outboard will be repeatedly submerged by the boats own wake if you come off plane quickly and survive? Is there some sort of snorkel?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looked to me like the front hose might also bring air from the boat? And have the outboard fully sealed otherwise?