• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bumper Placement

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I usually use all three cleats. I agree the bow doesn't do much and the rear is usually low but I feel better as I approach. I have medium sized fenders. The position and height of the fenders also depends on the what you are coming up against (a higher dock, lower dock or even just tying up next to another boat). I do like the Taylor Made locks mentioned above.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 ..... I don't do very much tie ups, being on the lake.
And so I never put very much thought into "HOW" and "WHERE" to mount my fenders.
Thanks for showing me the RIGHT way - It was sincerely appreciated !
Best Wishes your way, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For those who might be interested ......
I was VERY impressed with @Helipilot11's find of the FENDER TENDER II's.
Before @Williamsone46 showed me the best way to put fenders on my 242, I went looking for the Fender Tenders.
They apparently are a well-known and desired product.
Amazon and many others sell these also.

I did find them for $9.99 SHIPPED AND NO SALES TAX !
Here is the web link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVIS-FENDER-TENDER-II-FOR-BOATS-CLIP-TO-RAILS-LIFELINES-CLEATS-00393-PAIR-/361195756110?hash=item5418f1da4e&vxp=mtr

Hey !@ Enjoy a Great Tuesday ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't enjoy the type that clip or slide into a holder, I've seen too many unclip or slide out of the holder when things get bouncy.
I installed these amidships on the inside of the gunwale, just behind the forward seats and have them aft just above the cleats:

33714_L1.jpg
Using paracord through the fitting, it stays locked until you release via the button. They pull double duty since the aft ones also anchor the legs for the extended bimini. Since the length is already set, there is no tying or fumbling with long lines on the fenders. Pop 'em in, pop 'em out. My grandkids can do it! :cool:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't enjoy the type that clip or slide into a holder, I've seen too many unclip or slide out of the holder when things get bouncy.
I installed these amidships on the inside of the gunwale, just behind the forward seats and have them aft just above the cleats:

View attachment 21441
Using paracord through the fitting, it stays locked until you release via the button. They pull double duty since the aft ones also anchor the legs for the extended bimini. Since the length is already set, there is no tying or fumbling with long lines on the fenders. Pop 'em in, pop 'em out. My grandkids can do it! :cool:
We looked at those, they were one of our options that we were considering. I think they are a great option as well. I would prefer those over fender tender's as well, but just as the TM locks they are a premium product (with a premium price, that I don't mind paying). We ultimately went with the fender locks because we have them on more than 1 boat already and the keys are interchangeable :).

As a note: on the TM locks we haven't had a problem with our fenders popping out (since they are heavy and you have to turn the key beyond 90 degrees to pull the fender key out of the lock), but I could see the possibility of that for sure.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We looked at those, they were one of our options that we were considering. I think they are a great option as well. I would prefer those over fender tender's as well, but just as the TM locks they are a premium product (with a premium price, that I don't mind paying). We ultimately went with the fender locks because we have them on more than 1 boat already and the keys are interchangeable :).

As a note: on the TM locks we haven't had a problem with our fenders popping out (since they are heavy and you have to turn the key beyond 90 degrees to pull the fender key out of the lock), but I could see the possibility of that for sure.
Hey, don't get me wrong, the ones I use ain't perfect...someone, who shall remain nameless, didn't quite get the hang of it at first and she, er, they don't get assigned fender duty anymore. Just as you pointed out, if you don't operate it it correctly, things can happen! :eek:

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
For some reason I've always approached the dock without fenders deployed, and just have had my wife and I catch it. But this thread has got me thinking why haven't I had them deployed prior to being docked. So far I've never had a dock ding ... Knock on wood! I guess I'm either that good, or that lucky. Either way I think I'll start putting them out prior.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For some reason I've always approached the dock without fenders deployed, and just have had my wife and I catch it. But this thread has got me thinking why haven't I had them deployed prior to being docked. So far I've never had a dock ding ... Knock on wood! I guess I'm either that good, or that lucky. Either way I think I'll start putting them out prior.
Thank god! I thought I was the only one. I thought that was the whole reason we had extendable poles on the boat. I just deploy mooring lines and family members.
My fenders go on the slip's post, contour fenders held on via bungee cords. (or suction cupped to the boat, if need be)

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a carabiner tied to the end of my line attached to my fender. I have 1 knot in the line for the bow, 2 for the middle, 3 for the stern. I just loop the carabiner through the grab rail them attach it to itself. Works great.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We all have different conditions, what some deal with would warrant as many fenders as possible. And others, well they have calm conditions and could never use a fender. I confess I don't always...when it is calm and I can hold the boat off the dock, but doing so got me a scratch once too. @Williamsone46 isn't alone on naked docking...but it is a safe practice to have them out.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ummm, if you are that good, I am that bad. Let's just say docking is not my forte. Getting better, but there is room for improvement. I can't consider docking without the fenders out.

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't really use them in my last boat but I believed I had good control of that boat. For now I will use them as my comfort level isn't there with this larger boat. Once I get better that may change but during Sunday's outing my 2 year old was being a pill so any help the wife normally offers was gone keeping the 2 year old held and safe. Good thing I had them deployed.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I didn't really use them in my last boat but I believed I had good control of that boat. For now I will use them as my comfort level isn't there with this larger boat. Once I get better that may change but during Sunday's outing my 2 year old was being a pill so any help the wife normally offers was gone keeping the 2 year old held and safe. Good thing I had them deployed.
I thought that was what the big center storage unit was for....unruly children. Oops

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey, don't get me wrong, the ones I use ain't perfect...someone, who shall remain nameless, didn't quite get the hang of it at first and she, er, they don't get assigned fender duty anymore. Just as you pointed out, if you don't operate it it correctly, things can happen! :eek:
lol. First time my wife went to put a fender in the lock while on the water, the fender went straight into the drink (fortunately she grabbed the end of the rope, so we didn't have to go back for it).

I think most people are this way. Even with the 120K boats I see at the dock, it's usually 2 kids leaning over the boat holding the dock. I am usually very slow near the dock, but my rub rail has taken a few strikes harder than I like (particularly on my stern).

That's a good plan. Better safe than sorry! And if you end up being sorry, start with 2000 grit sand paper and work your way down until it takes out what you want. I was an idiot and used 800 grit sandpaper to take out some dock rash because I had it on hand and it took me 3 hours to buff that "oops" out.

edit: 2000 grit sand paper with a soapy water mix that you REALLY lather onto the gelcoat before you start sanding.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We all have different conditions, what some deal with would warrant as many fenders as possible. And others, well they have calm conditions and could never use a fender. I confess I don't always...when it is calm and I can hold the boat off the dock, but doing so got me a scratch once too. @Williamsone46 isn't alone on naked docking...but it is a safe practice to have them out.
You are soooo right Mel.

Typically we get most of the serious skiing and wakeboarding done in the very early morning while the river is glass. Then we all get together on "Our" beach...off load all our stuff, set up chairs, EZ-Ups, etc. then we all hop into our boats and go for breakfast at Topock 66 ( http://www.topock66.com/) used to be just a shack on the marsh side of the river until the owner got to thinking he could build a resort.....well, he's on his way, but it's been a battle. Nevertheless, the docks they installed are tight and have no rubber on the edges and those suckers will gouge your hull if you look at them cross-eyed.
On a calm morning, with few boats, it's usually no issue if you have one or two competent individuals to help guide you into a slip without destroying your hull. I typically look for an end tie and just do it by myself with one fender amidships.
But when the tiny marina is full of boats jockeying for position, coming in and going out, it can be a challenge - then add 20 knots of breeze and see what happens! :eek:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For some reason I've always approached the dock without fenders deployed, and just have had my wife and I catch it.
I have one rule when I come into a dock and with folks in the boat...no hands, arms of any kind outside the boat. My mom just about broke her shoulder trying to slow us down or keep us from hitting too hard. I would rather repair a scuff or scratch than risk having someone get hurt. Just my opinion.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
...............then we all hop into our boats and go for breakfast at Topock 66 ( http://www.topock66.com/) used to be just a shack on the marsh side of the river ..............
WOW, @Glassman ..... Down here, we 'jes cruise on down to McDonalds (Mickey D's !) for our breakfast fare, Egg McMuff's and Sausage Bisquitos.
I "feel" fer 'ya, Bud !

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have one rule when I come into a dock and with folks in the boat...no hands, arms of any kind outside the boat. My mom just about broke her shoulder trying to slow us down or keep us from hitting too hard. I would rather repair a scuff or scratch than risk having someone get hurt. Just my opinion.
Can I get an AMEN!?! For all of us working with larger companies how many times have you heard safety meetings in regards to personal injuries? The whole network will explode with a simple first-aid or a small bruise. We as people and as leadership focus primarily on employee safety. As detrimental as it can be to see a fellow colleague hurt in any way imagine our own personal friends and family!! My boat also has a very strict "Hands OFF" protocol - that IS enforced. If we can afford a boat then by-God we can also purchase a few poles, some rope and bumpers.

We may complain about hurting our babies (our boats) on here, but when was the last time you had a safety stand down at your secular location in regards to a minor equipment damage? My particular career has based me on the safety of our crew, and though that may not be quite as fun of a discussion as our boats, it is VERY important.

Everyone - please watch out for your crew. Fingers can NOT get "buffed out".

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
To add to the safety theme, even when dead calm, and you managed to dock alongside without scratch one, and your holding the boat off the dock...alone. And unbeknownst to you, some boat 200 yards off the shore, well outside of the no wake zone, throws some waves that managed to work their way to the dock...and slam! It is either the boat or your arm. Better to rig a fender or two, and let that happen than to damage to yourself.