• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bungee dock lines, but different...

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, I've got a couple of the generic bungee dock lines with the eyelet on each end, but does anyone make one that only has one loop, and a bit longer? I'd like something 10-15 feet long, with an eyelet on just one side, so I can tie off with a lot more versatility. More times than not, the bungee lines I have are useless, because they're too short, or it's a pylon, no normal cleats, etc... I get the feeling that a regular dock line with a 2 foot bungee section right by the eyelet would be much more versatile and useful in a wider range of applications. There's got to be a reason they're not on the market already, what am I missing?

I've been there and the solution I came up with.. two more bungees. That way you can lengthen if you need.

Just loop a regular dock line through one end.

Or take this post down and start selling them, it’s a good idea.

Here are some that are longer, 6-9' https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Sand...ts&qid=1617219994&sprefix=bungie+line&sr=8-10

They also make lines that have a clip on the end which may help. You can just clip a regular line into the end.

You probably don't want them to be all bungie anyways since that would probably be too much stretch.

For really long lines, they tend to use a regular line with a "snubber" attached.

@anmut i thought about that, but often trying to tie an actual bungee Line wouldn’t make me feel comfortable, depending on what I’ve got to tie off to.

@AZMark thought about that also, but then for some places, it would be too long. Might be what I do for now, though...

@EricE yeah, saw the longer ones, and the ones with a clip...considered them also, but would be basically the same as tying a dock line to one of the bungees I’ve already got.

@Sotally Tober those are new to me, and might be serviceable for what I am envisioning. A little more complex than I need/want, but if it fits the bill, I’ll spring for some cash.

And no, I’m not envisioning the full length to be a bungee, just a +-2’ section, right by the eyelet. The rest just a regular rope, so it can be securely tied at any length.

@anmut i thought about that, but often trying to tie an actual bungee Line wouldn’t make me feel comfortable, depending on what I’ve got to tie off to.

@AZMark thought about that also, but then for some places, it would be too long. Might be what I do for now, though...

@EricE yeah, saw the longer ones, and the ones with a clip...considered them also, but would be basically the same as tying a dock line to one of the bungees I’ve already got.

@Sotally Tober those are new to me, and might be serviceable for what I am envisioning. A little more complex than I need/want, but if it fits the bill, I’ll spring for some cash.

And no, I’m not envisioning the full length to be a bungee, just a +-2’ section, right by the eyelet. The rest just a regular rope, so it can be securely tied at any length.

They appear complex at first but are very simple in nature. You tie off the non-clipped end to the boat then use the other end on the dock. From there you can adjust the length using the clip/loop. Super easy and works in many different applications of docking.

I have the 4x Airhead bungee lines and haven't run into any situation where I didn't feel like my boat wasn't docked securely. However, these docking experiences have been limited in length and are usually for a few hours at time only.

This is what I’ve used for years....

Can easily add two together, easy to use, super strong, millions of other uses on boat or at home. I sound like a commercial.

@Troch1 yeah, that looks pretty handy also, just doesn’t have the bungee part. Not that it’s a must, I just like being able to keep the boat snugged up against the dock, with some forgiveness. The places we go seem to all have different styles of docks, and ways to tie off, with no consistency between them. It got to where I had different ropes for different places we went, which got confusing for all the others on the boat.

@Troch1 yeah, that looks pretty handy also, just doesn’t have the bungee part. Not that it’s a must, I just like being able to keep the boat snugged up against the dock, with some forgiveness. The places we go seem to all have different styles of docks, and ways to tie off, with no consistency between them. It got to where I had different ropes for different places we went, which got confusing for all the others on the boat.

The whole thing is a bungee! The 10mm version is quite stout and holds my 242 in all conditions I’ve tried. I do not use for overnight docking, though.

I just bought two sets of these for our waverunner’s. I bought a set last year and they worked perfectly, until I left them tied to the bows and out in direct sunlight for about two weeks.
36805658-0E28-46B9-8273-2588C55947DF.pngCFC0952A-977D-4851-95EB-89C8C03F45B1.png

The whole thing is a bungee! The 10mm version is quite stout and holds my 242 in all conditions I’ve tried. I do not use for overnight docking, though.
Well, it would help if they'd include that in the description!! lol, that does make it more interesting... it's a contender for sure...

I just bought two sets of these for our waverunner’s. I bought a set last year and they worked perfectly, until I left them tied to the bows and out in direct sunlight for about two weeks.

I don't recall seeing these 14' long ones... Are they bungee the whole length, or just a section?

Last edited:
Gee.... I guess @dgfreeze just really doesn't like his boat...

Oh, well.

What is the reason for bungee lines? I just use regular ropes and leave it a little loose so the boat can move in and out a foot or so. Am I doing something wrong?

Most of the docks we deal with aren’t well maintained and they’re missing cleats all over so I usually need a long rope to tie up to whatever I can like @dgfreeze so I just got used to doing this.

What is the reason for bungee lines? I just use regular ropes and leave it a little loose so the boat can move in and out a foot or so. Am I doing something wrong?
@dgfreeze so I just got used to doing this.

I'm told the reason is simplicity and speed (at least with the more inexpensive lines). Some of the fancy lines (like the pricy one he found) are actually for shock absorption. They tend to have a full line weave around the bungee part. Picture a bungee in the middle of your normal double braid line... In some coastal applications, with waves and tides, you don't want too much strain on the line, so shock absorption is recommended so you don't get a firm pull and snap the line. But in those cases, you don't want a little puny bungee, either.

Personally, I'm with you. I use fixed lines and probably always will. Didn't take much to learn to tie them and now that I have gotten good at that, speed is not really an issue. And I like the security of the fixed line. And I'm not in coastal waters where I have concerns over my line snapping.

Gee.... I guess @dgfreeze just really doesn't like his boat...

Oh, well.
Carful now, them's fightin' words....;)

Naw, I just feel like the ones I found are designed more for big boats, and deeper pockets. I was able to locate 1/2" for $50 apiece, which is manageable, but makes me cringe when you can get all different kinds of bungee lines for $20 on Amazon. I like some of the options listed above, and they're quite tempting, but like @AZMark just said, some of the docks I tie to have very limited places to lash to, which can lead to fairly long leads on the rope.

@AZMark, the reason I like bungee lines is because it keeps my boat gently against the dock for easier boarding/loading/etc., but also gives it some leeway if another boat passes by, and makes her start listing a little. Also, the channel/docks that we tie off in the most often is a little tight, and there's a lot of pontoons that come through there, so I like to give them as much room as I can. Pontoons and (excessive) alcohol seem to go hand in hand...lol. So,in summary, bungee lines aren't needed, I rarely use mine, but they have their benefits also.

I'm told the reason is simplicity and speed (at least with the more inexpensive lines). Some of the fancy lines (like the pricy one he found) are actually for shock absorption. They tend to have a full line weave around the bungee part. Picture a bungee in the middle of your normal double braid line... In some coastal applications, with waves and tides, you don't want too much strain on the line, so shock absorption is recommended so you don't get a firm pull and snap the line. But in those cases, you don't want a little puny bungee, either.

Personally, I'm with you. I use fixed lines and probably always will. Didn't take much to learn to tie them and now that I have gotten good at that, speed is not really an issue. And I like the security of the fixed line. And I'm not in coastal waters where I have concerns over my line snapping.
Honestly, I forgot to mention the simplicity and speed aspect of it... the ones I have now are simple and quick, but I am able to use them so rarely, that I forgot how quick and simple they are to use... But all in all, you're both right in that they're not needed for our boats, I'd classify them more as a luxury item. I'm just dying to hit the water, and spending money on boat stuff scratches the itch...

Back