• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bunk Bolts

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I changed the bunk bolts on my trailer. There was partially threaded bolts that allowed the bunk bolts to rotate a little. I replaced them with fully threaded so the bunks dont rotate, but now the boat sometimes doesn't sit straight on the trailer and it will straighten itself after driving. Sometimes I have to put the trailer back in the water to straighten it out. Well, I just looked under the trailer and some of the bolts had loosened despite the lock washers. I'm likely going to replace them with partially threaded bolts like it had. Anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:
Sounds like you bunk boards need to be replaced if the lag bolts won’t stay tight.

just double nut them so you can leave them loose enough to move

Good idea thanks. Thats what I ended up doing with blue loctite. A lot easier than changing the bolts. I'm thinking that it will be easier to load the boat now

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about - are you talking about the bolts that connect the brackets to the trailer, or the bolts that attach the bunk boards to the brackets?

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about - are you talking about the bolts that connect the brackets to the trailer, or the bolts that attach the bunk boards to the brackets?

The brackets to the trailer. The original bolts aren't threaded 100% so the bunks can rotate a little when the bolts are tightened. The original bolts were looking really bad after 8 years of salt water so I replaced them with fully threaded bolts with lock washers and then the bunks wouldn't rotate. But I found all 4 are loose after 3+ trips to the boat launch. My guess is that the bunks tend to rotate and it loosens the bolts.

The best solution was to hand tighten the bolts and then double nut them so the brackets can freely rotate.

I think the free rotating bunk brackets help the boat settle to the center when loading it. Because after I tightened those brackets, the boat would almost always sit on the strake and the boat wouldn't sit level. I would have to back the boat into the water and try again a few times. Or lose my patience and drive until the boat settles into the correct place.

The brackets to the trailer. The original bolts aren't threaded 100% so the bunks can rotate a little when the bolts are tightened. The original bolts were looking really bad after 8 years of salt water so I replaced them with fully threaded bolts with lock washers and then the bunks wouldn't rotate. But I found all 4 are loose after 3+ trips to the boat launch. My guess is that the bunks tend to rotate and it loosens the bolts.

The best solution was to hand tighten the bolts and then double nut them so the brackets can freely rotate.

I think the free rotating bunk brackets help the boat settle to the center when loading it. Because after I tightened those brackets, the boat would almost always sit on the strake and the boat wouldn't sit level. I would have to back the boat into the water and try again a few times. Or lose my patience and drive until the boat settles into the correct place.

Driving over a curb seems to help my boat settle in the right place :cool:

Driving over a curb seems to help my boat settle in the right place :cool:

Or slamming on the brakes! Who hasn't done that when they came up a little short on the roller and didn't want to go back in the water? :winkingthumbsup"

Or slamming on the brakes! Who hasn't done that when they came up a little short on the roller and didn't want to go back in the water? :winkingthumbsup"

I always slam the brakes just to get it it all the way up on the roller.

I always slam the brakes just to get it it all the way up on the roller.

I did that once and I think that I sent it a little too hard because everyone stopped to look at me. Now I just winch it up as hard as I can.

I double nut the bolts with loctite and its been fine. I think the boat sits better and they haven't loosened up. I check often, at least until the natural salt water loctite gets in there.

Back