• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buyers Remorse

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, a short Bayliner story... When shopping for a small boat back in January my wife and I went to the Baltimore boat show. One of the first displays in the door was Bayliner. I got into a Bayliner Element. I believe it was their 18 foot model, maybe a 16. My wife said "What the hell are you doing?" Get out of that, it looks like a bathtub, we're not buying that!"

Not that there is anything wrong with Bayliner. Bayliner gets a lot of people on the water to have fun, and that's great!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have no idea what Bayliner's quality is these days, but there is a market for cheap boats because lakes are fun and a lot of people don't have money. It is what it is, of course they aren't high quality, and they aren't priced for high quality. Bayliner isn't duping someone that can afford better quality into buying their product. I wouldn't shun a dude in a bayliner anymore than i'd shun a dude driving a ford fiesta.
This is a better way to put it. There is a market for all levels of boats. And rather bash them like I came across, it would be better to say, don't downgrade in hopes of getting better performance. But if "claimed" performance is more important than quality, then it will fit the bill.

for example, I won't downgrade from my Denali, so that I can afford a bigger engine. To me, the creature comforts are worth more than a bigger engine. Others values may be different, and that is why there are options.

Thank you for correcting me, as I should not be bashing Bayliner. If I wanted to do that, I only needed two words (Force Outboards)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This whole topic reminds me of wake boat owners sharing opinions of Yamaha boats... in which case the Yamaha's are actually a notch below a Heyday (Bayliner) in their minds. 😥

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I made the mistake of not test driving our ‘19 AR210 before ordering it. First 2 minutes out on the lake I knew I should have never bought a jet boat...biggest buying mistake I’ve ever made. I bit my tongue and hid my expression from my wife...we pushed through and kept the boat until this summer and thankfully with the hot market I didn’t lose my butt selling it.

I realize this will upset folks, but just about everything about jet drives is terrible..steering, excessive rpms, noise, harmonics of two engines, cavitation, weed ingestion. I fail to understand the advantage...

That being said, the Yamaha’s are a great boat for lounging and chilling on the water..the rear transom is great and the boats are roomy.

One thing great about jet boats is this forum- lots of people posting, commenting, pictures, diys, etc. One of the best forums on the net..

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I made the mistake of not test driving our ‘19 AR210 before ordering it. First 2 minutes out on the lake I knew I should have never bought a jet boat...biggest buying mistake I’ve ever made. I bit my tongue and hid my expression from my wife...we pushed through and kept the boat until this summer and thankfully with the hot market I didn’t lose my butt selling it.

I realize this will upset folks, but just about everything about jet drives is terrible..steering, excessive rpms, noise, harmonics of two engines, cavitation, weed ingestion. I fail to understand the advantage...

That being said, the Yamaha’s are a great boat for lounging and chilling on the water..the rear transom is great and the boats are roomy.

One thing great about jet boats is this forum- lots of people posting, commenting, pictures, diys, etc. One of the best forums on the net..
Reading this post was an emotional roller coaster.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you want your 212 to handle like it's on rails, I hear the cobra jet steering, because it remains down at speed really helps. I've heard the exact same "like us on rails" description from folks who have them. I've been considering them.
Thank you and the deluxe version has plaining surfaces under the nozzles for faster hole shot and a more stable ride in chop and yes the boat will drive like a sportscar on a dry road, plus on the twin engine models it has the patented second tie rod to balance out the system and add redundancy. And the deluxe twin systems also have the inner top fins for extra slow speed assistance in both forward and reverse, The buy direct price for a complete super magnum ak-19 system is only 489.99 with free shipping in the U S A do your research compare features and benefits as well as cost. Making jet boats steer and drivers smile since 2001. Here is an early video of the early version ultimate steering system not the super steering I offer now and even then the early system you can see the boat handles great and makes the last turn with no thrust at all plus there are many videos make by @swatski showing S turn off power in a 24 foot with the factory keel and rudder and my regular magnum A K steering with the fangs added.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a better way to put it. There is a market for all levels of boats. And rather bash them like I came across, it would be better to say, don't downgrade in hopes of getting better performance. But if "claimed" performance is more important than quality, then it will fit the bill.

for example, I won't downgrade from my Denali, so that I can afford a bigger engine. To me, the creature comforts are worth more than a bigger engine. Others values may be different, and that is why there are options.

Thank you for correcting me, as I should not be bashing Bayliner. If I wanted to do that, I only needed two words (Force Outboards)
Funny you mention Force outboards. I had heard they were garbage for years. Uncle owned a Force 90 on the back of a "Voyager" tri-toon for almost 20years, and it never gave him issues. He's NOT easy on his equipment either. Guy across the street at the time had one as well on a bass boat of some flavor. He was cussing it on a regular basis. Very interesting the dichotomy there.

I too grew up around the Bayliner = junk mentality, and I think the 90's era boats were in fact that way. The fit and finish and materials quality just wasn't there. I tried to give them a "fair shake" at the boat show a few years ago, and honestly, the fit and finish had come up significantly. No idea on the quality of materials as I couldn't really climb around on them "deep enough" to really see how good they were or were not. I think there is a certain "value add" that is somewhat hard to quantify in the "better boats" at this point. If you put a non-boater into a Bayliner, then blindfold them and put them in something like a Four Winns or Rinker, I think you'll have a hard time convincing them to spend the extra money. Just like Kia has had to fight back to get a better name, and it's taken some time. I think Bayliner is in the same situation. They're much better than they used to be, but those of us "close to the industry" are going to be the last to notice and adjust our thinking.

And just to be clear :D :D......I think my Yamaha is WAY nicer than a Bayliner. However wrong I might be :D

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So.....Am I the only person that sees this whole post as just troll bait? The original person to post, Priceisright, hasnt commented back since asking the question and hes the same guy that went around randomly posting pictures of his dick. I cant be the only person that received an unsolicited DM from him trying to direct me to go to the thread he posted this on. The guy is a troll...just delete him and be done.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Somebody has to say it -
5D9C0416-EE68-4352-8E7F-00175FEA507B.jpeg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just like Kia has had to fight back to get a better name, and it's taken some time. I think Bayliner is in the same situation. They're much better than they used to be, but those of us "close to the industry" are going to be the last to notice and adjust our thinking.
I would agree with that. When I met my wife, she was driving one of the original Kia Korean Death Traps the Sportage. That thing was scary to drive in snow the anti locks and traction control were so bad. But now, our good friend just took delivery of a 2021 Kia Telluride, and I'm amazed at that vehicle in comparison.

So yes, a brand can do a full reverse. But it's hard to get over old traits.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree with that. When I met my wife, she was driving one of the original Kia Korean Depth Traps the Sportage. That thing was scary to drive in snow the anti locks and traction control were so bad. But now, our good friend just took delivery of a 2021 Kia Telluride, and I'm amazed at that vehicle in comparison.

So yes, a brand can do a full reverse. But it's hard to get over old traits.
The Telluride is a really nice looking and well performing machine. My understanding is they're on national backorder with people waiting MONTHS to get them.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Telluride is a really nice looking and well performing machine. My understanding is they're on national backorder with people waiting MONTHS to get them.
Yup, they ordered their 2020 just as the Covid breakout hit. Waited all summer for it. They ended up finally taking delivery of a 2021 few weeks ago! That's how long the wait was.

And at first it was because the plant was shut down. But for the past couple months, it was logistics. They could not find drivers that would drive into certain regions for safety sake. There are literally thousands of vehicles sitting there waiting for trucks to deliver them. I guess this is common for all the metros filled with riots and crap, but why Fargo? Our riots are small, with little fires, and small dumpsters tipped over.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get the love of an I/O and outboard. As many above have mentioned, buy what does what you want to do.

But for the love of God, do not buy a bottom of the foodchain Bayliner. If you want to know what the term depreciation means, buy a bayliner. If you want to know what lack of quality control is, buy a Bayliner. If you want to be shunned by anyone other than a first time boat buyer, buy a bayliner.

There is a reason Bayliners are made (as well as a few other boat lines) They attract first time boat buyers before they know what they are looking for. They have just the right features and price point to lure the first timer in. But when it comes to resale, nobody will touch it.

I could be way off base. And honestly, their quality has gone up exponentially in the past 15 years. But there is still a very bad taste in my mouth from years ago. (this sounds like a guy badmouthing Ram trucks for tranny issues in the 70's) Please correct me if I'm out of line here.
lololol. Agreed, we bought a Bayliner as our first boat last year. It was used and at a great price, definitely allowed us to quickly realize a few things. Bigger boat and layout was important and we really needed/wanted something else. Luckily, was able to sell it back in the Spring for double what we paid last year to get out of it. I'd be very unhappy if I went and bought one brand new and was stuck with it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were talking about getting a Telluride and swapping out the Expedition. My expedition can tow 7,500 with the towing package. It appears that the Telluride can only tow 5,000 lbs. Just not enough for a 25' footer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup, they ordered their 2020 just as the Covid breakout hit. Waited all summer for it. They ended up finally taking delivery of a 2021 few weeks ago! That's how long the wait was.

And at first it was because the plant was shut down. But for the past couple months, it was logistics. They could not find drivers that would drive into certain regions for safety sake. There are literally thousands of vehicles sitting there waiting for trucks to deliver them. I guess this is common for all the metros filled with riots and crap, but why Fargo? Our riots are small, with little fires, and small dumpsters tipped over.
That's the best description of ND riots I've ever heard. never been there, but it fits my preconceived notions incredibly well.

I'm in Louisville and downtown has been boarded up here for months. Heck, they had about 10 square blocks of downtown blocked off to vehicular traffic for about a week. Even then.....The local Kia stores are in the suburbs and generally safe to deliver vehicles to.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were talking about getting a Telluride and swapping out the Expedition. My expedition can tow 7,500 with the towing package. It appears that the Telluride can only tow 5,000 lbs. Just not enough for a 25' footer.
Yea, the Telluride would make a great tow vehicle for a 19ft'r. I think the 21's and 24's are more than it would want. The 19's are just so dang light, even the heaviest 195S is most likely still under 4,200lbs or so.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 pages and one post, I think you guys scared off the OP.