• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chapter 3 - CONNEXT "ERR" Message

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, for the third time now, my connext system is screwed up. Once again, the GPS is losing signal which results in an ERR message on my speed. This, in turn, causes the engines to momentarily throttle down when in the DRIVE mode. Once again, this feature, that Yamaha says is so great, is unuseable because the GPS connection is unreliable. Dealer has been contacted, but I am not going to take my boat out of the water for the rest of the season while Yamaha tries, once again, to figure this out. It worked fine for about 5-8 hours, then began the same issues as in the past 2 events. Seems like from new, to the first failure, to the second failure, then to this last failure, it takes about 5-10 hours for the system to begin to fail. Fortunately, I can do without this feature for the rest of the season! But Yamaha needs to get its deffication in an orderly sequence (get its S**t together) and resolve these CONNEXT issues!

David James

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have the exact same issue. Took it in and dealer of course said 'We can't duplicate it, must be GPS interference." I'm like, Interference in the Middle of a Lake? I now have this video to show them, plus I'm going to show them this thread. Hopefully, they will fix it. I just bought the boat 4 months ago. If you listen close, you'll hear the engine cut out when the display goes to Err.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did anyone ever find a resolution to this issue? I don't use drive control or cruise control much but would still like to address this issue if we have discovered the root cause and how to solve it.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dealer finally fixed mine. Changed module, GPS antenna, and found loose connections. So far it has worked perfectly! Fingers crossed. It took 3 times to get it fixed right!

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where did they find the loose connections? I will have to check mine before I try and send it to the dealer. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
During the 3 trips to the dealer they found lose connections at the antenna and the module. The also replaced both the antenna and the module. The last connection they found loose was somewhere in the engine compartment, but I will have to check the invoice next time I have the boat out. I believe it had something to do with the RPM sensor, but not sure! Sorry. ..I know this probably didn't help much! I will say that since my last service, the Drive control has worked perfectly everytime, so there is hope. Has alot to do with the dealer taking responsibility and not dismissing your issue just because it is intermittent and not manifest itself when they check it one time!

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
During the 3 trips to the dealer they found lose connections at the antenna and the module. The also replaced both the antenna and the module. The last connection they found loose was somewhere in the engine compartment, but I will have to check the invoice next time I have the boat out. I believe it had something to do with the RPM sensor, but not sure! Sorry. ..I know this probably didn't help much! I will say that since my last service, the Drive control has worked perfectly everytime, so there is hope. Has alot to do with the dealer taking responsibility and not dismissing your issue just because it is intermittent and not manifest itself when they check it one time!
Sounds like I have some connections to check.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have this same issue, Yamaha said it is in the gages, I sent them for recalibration under warranty. I sure hope this works. Probable be a few weeks before I get to try it.