• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Even if we wanted to be crazy and try today there is no way to splash the boat. 4ft high sand bag levies that look sort of like snow banks around everything downhill of the train tracks in Peoria with even the tracks underwater in some places. The levies are double walled with pumps running to save property. Saw a bunch of police, fire, and public works downtown on a Sunday morning too. Those guys have been busy.
6E234786-C1AB-4C99-8818-A5C3F0396EF1.jpegFB148D85-909A-400A-AA1D-6763D1725EFC.jpegA3C8B8CA-297D-4596-94AE-BA719BF3B486.jpeg7D71672B-36FF-47E7-8A63-41168E71C510.jpeg670DE420-B6A3-47C9-88AB-3384905AFF3B.jpeg9DF480B0-7569-4D56-8F6E-F07971C2D652.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boat 2’s crew made it safely to Peoria and we did as well but unfortunately this will be where the journey ends for both boats as our original pull out location to end the trip is underwater and alternative locations that have been explored are in no better shape. We will plan to come back later this year when the Starved Rock to Peoria run is planned and we will continue on to St Louis when everyone stops in Peoria. It was an incredible trip today and @swatski and @Betik thank you so much for your awesome assistance today
Awesome. Congrats on being smart. I’m sure it was tempting to try to find a way to continue.

I wonder if you might not pick up a couple more boats for your next leg in the fall. Do you think you would be able to spare time for lunch with the Peoria group on the Starved Rock to Peoria run, or would you need to push on through??

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The crew in front of Peoria waterfront:

And with our awesome chase driver:

Nickp98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Well I can say this was a fun trip. Thanks @swatski, @robert843, @Mainah, and @Betik for planning most of this trip and allowing me to tag along. We got to see a lot of cool new things including 38ft drop locks and super flooded roads to try and get to the marina to pull the boat out... We ended up pulling the boat out at Starved Rock Yacht Club, these were the nicest most friendly people we have ever met! They wanted us to pay a “ Ramp Fee” which was buying a round of drinks for a bar full of people! It was a whopping total of $42 with tip... and we then were not able to pay for a drink again for the rest of our time there. We were stranded for a few hours until our chase truck could get there. We were happy to be stuck there for as long as we needed... 9361093611

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik, where have you been with this trailer? Lolol
Awesome!
:cool:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
She's shiny again!

Washing the hull was very easy, given a 20 mile slog through the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal - that was a very desirable result!
Reapplied Rejex - went on and buffed way easier than the first time around.
I even Rejexed the trailer, lol.

I'm changing my status to a card carrying member of the "Rejex Fan Club".
:cool:

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And one more thing: fuel cans did really well. I was concerned but there was zero issues.
No spillage what-so-ever in the compartments, albeit the cool weather must have helped.

My pumps also worked great - after being newly sealed/ported.

Love the @Ridesteady. That thing just rocks, especially now with full time engine synchronization.
Holding the RPM steady saves a lot of fuel!

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome. Congrats on being smart. I’m sure it was tempting to try to find a way to continue.

I wonder if you might not pick up a couple more boats for your next leg in the fall. Do you think you would be able to spare time for lunch with the Peoria group on the Starved Rock to Peoria run, or would you need to push on through??
It will likely be up to @swatski if we have time to stop not sure if we will try and break it into a 2 day run or a 1 day hard push. I'm sure if we split into two days we will stop and enjoy the company of the rest of the group if we have to push it in one day we will likely be pressing on.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will likely be up to @swatski if we have time to stop not sure if we will try and break it into a 2 day run or a 1 day hard push. I'm sure if we split into two days we will stop and enjoy the company of the rest of the group if we have to push it in one day we will likely be pressing on.
@robert843 As the OP here we will let you call it, lol, but I'm always up for more socializing - after all it's a big part of being here and meeting new "internet friends" (that's how I chose to call you'all when my wife asks, it still freaks her out, lol).

In reality, there will be more that goes into planning the range and timing of this next river run of course: if we want to end in Grafton, IL (next fuel stop 120-130 miles down from Peoria, IL)? do we want to continue to Alton, IL (easy next 20 mile) and beyond - downtown St. Louis (short run but two more locks)? or maybe all the way to Kimmswick, MO (next fuel stop 20 miles south, and a ramp)?
Or finish with a bang in my marina on Meramec River? - that would depend on water level there.

--

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like fun trip. Didnt get as far as yall wanted, but I'm sure the chase drivers had more fun then they would have as well :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You too Brutus!!!!LOL

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I know they usually do their trip in the fall maybe we can get them to bump it up I'm thinking Aug 10th and 11th possibly if it is dates you and @Mainah and possibly @Betik can make work? The regional airlines that does non stop flights to St Louis end their seasonal service after that. I would fly in on Friday and out on Monday again. We can for sure look at other dates if needed as there are plenty of other options for me to get there.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@swatski I know they usually do their trip in the fall maybe we can get them to bump it up I'm thinking Aug 10th and 11th possibly if it is dates you and @Mainah and possibly @Betik can make work? The regional airlines that does non stop flights to St Louis end their seasonal service after that. I would fly in on Friday and out on Monday again. We can for sure look at other dates if needed as there are plenty of other options for me to get there.
The fall trip is usually Sunday over Columbus Day weekend in Oct, I think. I doubt anyone would mind adding another date. It’s kind of used as a last hurrah before the boats are winterized up here, so they may want to keep with that weekend, as well.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am slammed at work and on the home front as well but will make a point of getting the raw video dumped from my go pro and loaded somewhere for @robert843 to grab this week. I am rather booked up until September so do what you works for you guys and I will join if possible.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those August dates would possibly work for me!
(just need to figure out someone to take care of kids and dogs, unless I let them fend for themselves, Kate will be in Thailand or Vietnam for work then so she won’t even know, lol)

We could try to push it past St. Louis, if the weather cooperates, with refuel in Kimmswick go down to Cape Girardeau (that’s only two hours drive back to STL) or pull a Huck Finn and stretch it to Cairo (Ohio River confluence).

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those August dates would possibly work for me!
(just need to figure out someone to take care of kids and dogs, unless I let them fend for themselves, Kate will be in Thailand or Vietnam for work then so she won’t even know, lol)

We could try to push it past St. Louis, if the weather cooperates, with refuel in Kimmswick go down to Cape Girardeau (that’s only two hours drive back to STL) or pull a Huck Finn and stretch it to Cairo (Ohio River confluence).

I'm fine stretching it as far as you guys like. If @Mainah can't make it till September we can push back as long as he thinks he will be joining. I think October will be to shady on colder weather for an extended run I would rather do August or September for sure.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picture taken at great loop gathering in norfolk.. some of the locks yall needed will be closed later in year it appears.FB_IMG_1557511562773.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Picture taken at great loop gathering in norfolk.. some of the locks yall needed will be closed later in year it appears.View attachment 93959
Where is this info coming from, if I may ask?

Considering that many IL farmers use barge traffic almost exclusively for commodities' transport I find it surprising the key locks would be planned to be inoperable for what amounts to half of already restricted season.

--