• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago to St Louis run 5/4-5/5 Great Loop Run

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You've got to be kidding...

The constant rain here for the last few weeks has been depressing, driving me crazy. But... this is... (not sure what to call it) ...exciting? lol

--
Lol I saw this yesterday that's crazy. The forecast for next weekend didn't look terrible though its a little chilly but we should be good.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol I saw this yesterday that's crazy. The forecast for next weekend didn't look terrible though its a little chilly but we should be good.
Yeah, forecast means nothing at this point. There was no snow forecast for Chicago from last week... lol. Just want this rain stop so I can start packing the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did some final "on the water" checks after oil, filter and spark plugs change today. No surprises, thank god, all looks okay (knock on wood). Also, my latest intakes/pumps porting/sealing job seems to have worked really well! I may pull the pumps tomorrow to double check one last time but the pumps run excellent, zero cavitation and super nice, smooth ride. Lets hope it stays that way for the whole trip!

Also tested the new Cobra fins, the Ridesteady firmware upgrade, and the VHF radio - stationary and hand held backup, all fine. SO are the bilge pump and the secondary.

The only thing I'll miss are the stereo/electric upgrades. I just will not be able to complete all the new mods I've been planning for this Spring for this trip, like upgrading the helm electric panel and speaker upgrades in the bow, unfortunately the work is just killing me.
I guess I'm gonna have to keep @Mainah from looking at my unfinished panel behind the helm!

--

Last edited:

Nickp98

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I would love to be prepping but this is my current situation..... Got to love Chicago!9276792768

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man and I was complaining about my boat ride in 71 degree weather today. It's supposed to be 82 here tomorrow trying to decide if I should go back out. I'm busting out my ski jacket and stuff for next weekends adventure.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did some final "on the water" checks after oil, filter and spark plugs change today. No surprises, thank god, all looks okay (knock on wood). Also, my latest intakes/pumps porting/sealing job seems to have worked really well! I may pull the pumps tomorrow to double check one last time but the pumps run excellent, zero cavitation and super nice, smooth ride. Lets hope it stays that way for the whole trip!

Also tested the new Cobra fins, the Ridesteady firmware upgrade, and the VHF radio - stationary and hand held backup, all fine. SO are the bilge pump and the secondary.

The only thing I'll miss are the stereo/electric upgrades. I just will not be able to complete all the new mods I've been planning for this Spring for this trip, like upgrading the helm electric panel and speaker upgrades in the bow, unfortunately the work is just killing me.
I guess I'm gonna have to keep @Mainah from looking at my unfinished panel behind the helm!

--
Sounds like it may be so cold that I may want to ride in the helm and perhaps finish the job. I think I will be pack ski pants instead of shorts.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like it may be so cold that I may want to ride in the helm and perhaps finish the job. I think I will be pack ski pants instead of shorts.
I'd be wearing a 6mm full farmer john wet suit as long underwear for that journey.;)

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd be wearing a 6mm full farmer john wet suit as long underwear for that journey.;)
Hmm perhaps my tree stand suit or lined carhart overalls will do ;)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ski outfit is a good idea for sure.
A spring season variety.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Who has been voted to jump in water to clean out the ports... or is that straw pulling happening on the river?

Plan to fail or fail to plan.. might give that guy an extra shot :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good point, let me dig out the scuba gear with the dry suit

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is why I mentioned the full farmer john wet suit. I have used it on several homemade white water raft races. The type with a big water balloon slingshot, a big funnel and surgical tubing, to hit the people dropping water balloons on you from overhead bridges. I dont think you will need to worry about dodging water balloons, but the suit comes in handy when the raft breaks up in the rapids. And I would not expect your "raft" to break up.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got out today - probably the last short test ride before the trip.

My river is flood stage with several smaller bridges too low to pass under, so there is no way we can go all the way, will need to end the trip in Grafton or Alton which is fine.

And just to warn you, there is a LOT of debris floating, from flooded woods. Not necessarily dangerous but it can be unpleasant.
I was out for about 30min and hit something twice... (just saying). Most likely a submerged log/branch? nothing major.

--

Nickp98

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
F@&*^% unreal...

EDIT: If the lake locks freeze, we are SCREWED!!! lolol.

--

My river is flood stage with several smaller bridges too low to pass under, so there is no way we can go all the way, will need to end the trip in Grafton or Alton which is fine.
View attachment 92861

And just to warn you, there is a LOT of debris floating, from flooded woods. Not necessarily dangerous but it can be unpleasant.
I was out for about 30min and hit something twice... (just saying). Most likely a submerged log/branch? nothing major.

--
So you think the original marina you mentioned is a good place to pull out?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you think the original marina you mentioned is a good place to pull out?
Alton is in flood stage, the ramp is kind of operational but... it would be a wet retrival. Totally doable, this was shot last week, next weekend maybe another 1-2ft more water.

Grafton may be a better bet, there is one ramp which is fairly long and should be fully operational, but I have not personally inspected it.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski @Betik @Mainah i would say at this point we don’t even push it as much as I would like to end in Alton or further south I can come back later with a ski or my boat to go further south I say let’s end at the the Illinois River Dock restaurant where we can still pull the boat out.

Omg8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
mississippi is still VERY flooded. im gonna be out on this trip.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

View attachment 92861

--
That submerged stuff is what makes me nervous. High water is something we can deal with. Hitting a submerged mature oak that broke away from the shore at 30 mph is a whole different story. I am in but the submerged stuff may make me more nervous than coming back up underneath a raft in 11,000 cfs narrow gorge class 5 rapids after getting thrown in the air by a hole named Maytag that has claimed lives. What I can’t see under the water does scare me a bit but with less excitement than jumping out of a plane blindfolded.