• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout and engine flood. Help!

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 Yamaha ar 210.
My clean out plugs blew out and flooded the engine hatch within seconds. Saved the boat from sinking. But now I’m struggling to get it started up again. The boat sounds like it’s got a dead battery and says low voltage. However battery charger says 100%. I don’t know what else to try. Please help!
I have already done the following:
1. Checked to make sure back hatch was shut
2. Kill switch lanyard is in
3. Spark plugs are dry
4. Gears are in neutral
5. Air filters are very damp can’t see through them. Checked the hoses leading to engine. And they are completely dry
6. All fuses are good, those in engine compartment were wet though
7. Oil was normal color
8. Batteries charger says there at 100%

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take the air filter off and try again. Almost there.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crank it with no plugs first to make sure it spins and there is no water in the cilinders

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did engines actually quit on their own, or did you shut them off to “bail”? How long has it been since the swamping? I am surprised both clean-out plugs blew.

Also agree with pulling spark plugs before trying to crank just to make sure you do no harm. It sounds like the starter probably got wet, so make sure it is good and dry (blow some compressed air on it to see if water sprays off). The same may help with the fuse block. Electrical likes to be dry or it can fry.

Keep us posted.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry to hear that be sure there is nothing in your pump and do not run it with wet air filters you have MR1 engines remove the plugs and open the air box also then try to crank the engine if it still resists turning you must have either a locked up pump or internal engine damage also try to turn the vibration dampener at the back of the engine it is where the engine connects to the drive shaft see if you can rock it in both directions to loosen the engine however be sure nothing is in the pump locking it up

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For the rest of you that have the push button clean out plugs up to the 2016 models you should install EZ locks to prevent this from happening it is a very common problem as is the plug coming loose and flooding the engine compartment. http://youtu.be/KhsnPrWt7nU

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did engines actually quit on their own, or did you shut them off to “bail”? How long has it been since the swamping? I am surprised both clean-out plugs blew.

Also agree with pulling spark plugs before trying to crank just to make sure you do no harm. It sounds like the starter probably got wet, so make sure it is good and dry (blow some compressed air on it to see if water sprays off). The same may help with the fuse block. Electrical likes to be dry or it can fry.

Keep us posted.
Soo pull out all the spark plugs and try to start it again?
Also i dont know where the starter is located, any pictures would help!

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Soo pull out all the spark plugs and try to start it again?
Also i dont know where the starter is located, any pictures would help!

Keep us posted.
Also I don’t remember if I shut them off or not, it all happened in seconds. But it happened about 36 hours ago.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok rock the vibration dampener behind the engine back and forth in case the starter is stuck in the flywheel and check the ground cable to the engine in case it is not working correctly

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remove plugs first. The concern is any water in the cylinders will “hydrolock” the engine (prevent turning) as water does not compress. Pulling the plugs lets any water get “pumped” out the spark plug hole when it turns over and prevents things like the connecting rods from being damaged.

I am attaching a few (removed) engine pics to help. You can try to rotate the impeller(s) from underneath through the intake grate or at the coupling off the back of the engine (laying over the engine and reaching down).
Driveshaft coupling
7D300FD2-C7E2-4D32-BE3D-60215E6376C6.jpeg
Starboard side (starter is hidden under the exhaust manifold)
2FCA4464-99E6-4973-B1A5-926891734538.jpeg
Port side (shouldn’t have to worry about this side except for electrical)
97BF2470-45A0-4CAF-A3C8-0B253AD99F85.jpeg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is details on the starter and a glimpse of it in a mirror under the exhaust manifold (black)
D8A4417F-529F-400F-AC1B-F7BF7AC94D78.jpeg
4996B7ED-9491-4D4D-B387-2710B9297747.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have access to a jump-starter? Sounds like your battery may be dead if it is not cranking. Are both engines not cranking/turning?

If you want to indicate your location, sometimes there may be a member nearby willing to give a hand.

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something no one has mentioned. (Do everything these guys have said as well to ensure the engines wont be ruined. Esp remove the spark plugs and leave them out until the motor spins). If you had a blow out it is likely the clean out hatch switches are no longer adjusted correctly.. removed spark plugs and leave them out, open clean out hatch and have someone physically hold down the kill switch and try turning the motor with the key... if it spins then it's the kill switches under the clean out hatch, if not... maybe starter? If you can reach the starter you may be Be able to use jumper cables to hit the starter directly with juice. Just enough to see if it will spin or not. That may help you narrow down the issue.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have access to a jump-starter? Sounds like your battery may be dead if it is not cranking. Are both engines not cranking/turning?

If you want to indicate your location, sometimes there may be a member nearby willing to give a hand.

--
I’m located in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Yes I charged the batteries overnight, both batteries said 100%

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remove plugs first. The concern is any water in the cylinders will “hydrolock” the engine (prevent turning) as water does not compress. Pulling the plugs lets any water get “pumped” out the spark plug hole when it turns over and prevents things like the connecting rods from being damaged.

I am attaching a few (removed) engine pics to help. You can try to rotate the impeller(s) from underneath through the intake grate or at the coupling off the back of the engine (laying over the engine and reaching down).
Driveshaft coupling
View attachment 93775
Starboard side (starter is hidden under the exhaust manifold)
View attachment 93773
Port side (shouldn’t have to worry about this side except for electrical)
View attachment 93774
Thank you, I will try this,
So even though there was no water visible when I pulled out the spark plugs, there still could be water in the hole?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a long and deep hole that holds 250cc. At the cilinders + the space on the engine head. Yes, there could be water preventing you from cranking the engine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you go under the boat and look into the pump??? also use a good!! set of jumper cables, hook the ground to the engine directly and the posative to the starter terminal on the starter itself and see if it turns this way you are bypassing the relay and everything else.