• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout and engine flood. Help!

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something no one has mentioned. (Do everything these guys have said as well to ensure the engines wont be ruined. Esp remove the spark plugs and leave them out until the motor spins). If you had a blow out it is likely the clean out hatch switches are no longer adjusted correctly.. removed spark plugs and leave them out, open clean out hatch and have someone physically hold down the kill switch and try turning the motor with the key... if it spins then it's the kill switches under the clean out hatch, if not... maybe starter? If you can reach the starter you may be Be able to use jumper cables to hit the starter directly with juice. Just enough to see if it will spin or not. That may help you narrow down the issue.
Do I have to remove all spark plugs ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you also could have blown fuses,

did you open the engine hatch when it was flooding? how high was the water in the engine compartment? over the engine? half way up?

At this point you need a multimeter to check the electrical because it could be the hatch safety switches, fuses, starter and if your not able to do that then you need to get it to a mechanic,

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes.... if there is water on tip of the piston and u try to start it you can bend a connecting rod and run you engine. With the spark plug out if there us water on top of the piston it will shoot out the spark plug hole.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you also could have blown fuses,

did you open the engine hatch when it was flooding? how high was the water in the engine compartment? over the engine? half way up?

At this point you need a multimeter to check the electrical because it could be the hatch safety switches, fuses, starter and if your not able to do that then you need to get it to a mechanic,
I checked all the fused with the screw off cap in the engine hatch both sides, as well as the two near the battery

Yes i did, it was about 3/4 on an angle since the back was so heavy. Where would i connect my multimeter too, i can’t even find the starter.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you try cranking as is with the spark plugs off?? You may not need to find the starter if that works.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Start with the easiest man! Dont put the cart before the horse! And again.. mention where u live... someone my be close to u that could help.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Virginia Beach virginia, I’m gonna take out all the fuses and try to turn it on

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going to do that now! Should i have someone else start it while i look down the wholes of the spark plugs?

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Start with the easiest man! Dont put the cart before the horse! And again.. mention where u live... someone my be close to u that could help.
And... Stop trying to start it and possibly causing more damage. Pull the spark plugs first and foremost.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Going to do that now! Should i have someone else start it while i look down the wholes of the spark plugs?
Don't look down the holes while trying to start.. Unless you want a face full of water. Place a towel over the engine.

Make sure to disconnect the lanyard before cranking without plugs.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't look down the holes while trying to start.. Unless you want a face full of water. Place a towel over the engine.

Got it thanks

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Alright thanks! Be back shortly! Hopefully i figure out the problem

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am honestly betting on a stuck started or a locked up pump. If the engine was full of water you would see it in the oil and if the engine hatched you would probably see it at the end of the spark plugs, so either bad electrical issues caused by the water or stuck pump etc I would get some spray silicon and spray every electrical plug and connector you can find, Open the ones you can spray the silicon in and then close it. soak everything with it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeff, I'm totally hoping you are right, but the easiest way to know for sure that there is no water in the cylinders is to crank with the plugs off first. No harm in checking.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I freshwater flush this boat without turning on the engine? I just rinsed everything with freshwater didn’t actually run it through the engine.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can I freshwater flush this boat without turning on the engine? I just rinsed everything with freshwater didn’t actually run it through the engine.
No you cannot unless you have shutoff valves. Did you try turning the engines over with no spark plugs in? We need you to calm down and work with us. We will help you through this.

Last edited:

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay everyone I just started it with kill lanyard pulled out, and spark plugs out. Water shot out! What are the next steps!?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
both engines had water in the cylinders or just one ?