• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout? (pool noodle mod)

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking for T-Latch replacement parts and came across this threat (https://jetboaters.net/threads/latch-replacement-piece.3335/) where his clean out plug blew out resulting in a broken latch on his rear locker. I never considered this possibility..has it ever happened to you?

It looks like he used pool noodles cut to size in the clean out port to soften the blow, which most likely saved him from a damaged deck...Not sure if it will ever happen, but a pool noodle sounds like a good idea for cheap insurance!

Also - does anyone know if you can replace just the metal lever (cam bar) on the underside of the T-Latch (the part that swivels to lock - the first picture in the linked thread). I'd rather not replace the whole latch

Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Two cheap nerf footballs for just this reason. Fit perfect.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The power of the blow out is incredible. Years ago on my LS2000, I had a blow out. Blew through the ratcheded down hatch. Just blew right through it. Sky high, and the lady at the front of the boat caught the plug in her lap. Purchased the original, the first and best plug fix ever (no longer available) the "Purple Plug Fix" and never had another blowout on the LS until the time I sold it many years later.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll check my box of old stuff, I had to replace two latches because I broke the top handles, I might have saved the bottom portion (although I've tried to recognize my pack rat mentality and have been throwing stuff away lately).

The possible issue with the nerfs or noodles is that if it does blow the plug could turn sideways and blow your rubber cleanout hose off the tray connection and then you can be pumping water into the boat (which we had happen to a member or two). I believe as one of the stories went, they didn't realize what had happened, noticed the bilge was working, opened the engine compartment saw water decided to put it in drive and head for the shore (the exact wrong thing for this problem because the more power he applied the more water he was pumping into his bilge/engine compartment).

I chose to go with the ez locks because they were cheap insurance and I could see they were engaged and I know mechanically it's not going to blow (and they come with a clip ring and none of the kids are going to pull them out and play with them as a water toy!)

Last edited:

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have EZ locks. Takes a couple minutes to drill the hole for install and easy to use. Gives me peace of mind.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went with EZ locks as well.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
EZ Locks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Years ago I was asked repetedly to come up with a simple and inexpensive way to deal with the cleanout plug issues both the violent blowouts and the worse one where the plug just come loose a little and moves sideways allowing water to fill the engine compartment. There were a few fixes the purple plug fix was inconvenient expensive and a pain to do the original install . the pin fix was difficult to install the pins down in the cleanout holes and they required a rather large set of holes drilled in to the plug. The ezlock only needs one per plug and it relies on a small 9/64ths hole that will not weaken the plug housing. The nice thing about the ezlock is that it lets you see the plug is totally locked just by looking straight down on to the top of the plug also it is placed on the plug before the plug is installed, when the T handle is pushed down the lock closes and you see that it is closed, also if your plug did try to release the ez lock tells you that also. When the internal mechanism releases the lock keeps the dogs engaged however this process usually places some stress on the lock so when you go to remove it you will feel the resistance and occasionally you will need to push down on the top of the t handle to release the pressure being applied to the lock during the release.
So for 16 years the push button cleanout plugs were installed in these boats from year 2000 to model year 2016, here is a couple of videos that show how the cleanout plug can release and how to install a ezlock for anyone interested.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Soooo.....my '17 doesn't have those features at all. There are no "locks" to be installed. The plug goes in and does about an 1/8th turn to lock into place. Is plug blowout still a concern for the new design?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Soooo.....my '17 doesn't have those features at all. There are no "locks" to be installed. The plug goes in and does about an 1/8th turn to lock into place. Is plug blowout still a concern for the new design?
That is what I have been told I say that because the push button plug replaced a screw in plug on the earlier boats so hope for the best time will tell.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pretty cheap insurance imo. I just ordered a set of EZ Locks just now @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . Even though I'm feeling really lucky. :p:D

TheGreekTitan, 5 minutes ago

Yes the ez locks are still available and if you live in Canada please email me if you want to order them since the web site has priority medium flat rate shipping programmed onto it but I can send them several ways to save shipping costs. I just had a Canadian order for one lock with 45 dollars for shipping so I sent them a partial refund and shipped it in a padded envelope to save them money.

TheGreekTitan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pretty cheap insurance imo. I just ordered a set of EZ Locks just now @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . Even though I'm feeling really lucky. :p:D

TheGreekTitan, 5 minutes ago

Yes the ez locks are still available and if you live in Canada please email me if you want to order them since the web site has priority medium flat rate shipping programmed onto it but I can send them several ways to save shipping costs. I just had a Canadian order for one lock with 45 dollars for shipping so I sent them a partial refund and shipped it in a padded envelope to save them money.

Guess you didn't get my joke. No worries. I'm just North of you in GA. Already placed my order about 10 min. ago.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yea you are wasting your money since you have a magic boat

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow thanks for the feedback, I had no idea blow outs were even an issue. Glad I learned of the issue before the fact. So what is the problem, the stock clean out plug has a poor latching mechanism - and the EZ lock system manually secures the latches?

If the clean out plug can be removed in water (for cleaning) how would water get into the hull when it blows?

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
watch jeff's video to understand how they work, either they don't get locked well enough or the vibration or other unidentified issue happens and makes them disengage,

The plug is in a sealed rubber tube, if everything is working correctly you can remove the plug on the water and it's just normal lake level,

If your plug blows and it knocks the rubber tube off it's mountin0g, if you apply thrust you pump water into the bilge, if you're just floating even if the hose is knocked off no water should enter.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking for T-Latch replacement parts and came across this threat (https://jetboaters.net/threads/latch-replacement-piece.3335/) where his clean out plug blew out resulting in a broken latch on his rear locker. I never considered this possibility..has it ever happened to you?

It looks like he used pool noodles cut to size in the clean out port to soften the blow, which most likely saved him from a damaged deck...Not sure if it will ever happen, but a pool noodle sounds like a good idea for cheap insurance!

Also - does anyone know if you can replace just the metal lever (pawl) on the underside of the T-Latch (the part that swivels to lock - the first picture in the linked thread). I'd rather not replace the whole latch
I've had one blowout and was fortunate it didn't damage the deck, only the strut that hold up the deck and that was an easy and cheap fix. Haven't had one since using EZ locks and paying close attention to inserting and locking the plugs. This is just my opinion...but I believe that most blowouts occur due to user error which is more prone to happen because of a bad design of the plugs exacerbated by neglect of the owner. I can tell you that I didn't know the impact of leaving plugs in all the time....especially with water on top. They are much harder to get out...sometimes impossible which is not good on the water and dangerous IMO, and to get in and seated properly. I've taken great care since doing the rebuild kit and have had no problems.