• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out Plug Maintenance

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Getting ready to launch the boat so wanted to know what I need to do with the clean out plugs to start the season. They are currently in a plastic storage box in the house.

Do I need to spray or lubricate it? If so what type do I use?

Thanks,
James

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Were they giving you any problems before? If not just use them as normal, they should slide in and out very easily and make sure you pull them at the end of the day and store them on your clean out tray in the locked position, this is supposed to take the pressure of the springs,

If you haven't already I would suggest investing in a pair of cobra locks or something similar, it cheap insurance to prevent a plug blow out.

JHC212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Never gave me any problems to date. I always lay them on their sides when not in use. During winter I store them in the house.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One thing people don't usually think of is to be sure to clean UNDER the gasket, if sand and salt etc build up under the gasket that goes around the cleanout plug it can wedge the plug tight when trying to remove it especially if you don't remove and rinse the plugs after every use.
If you do get a stuck plug try filling the tube above it with ice, let it sit an hour or longer then tap down solidly on the T handle with a rubber mallet or block of wood to loosen it before releasing it, if it is still stuck repeat the downward force on the T handle and then release it and pull up again possibly you may need a rope tied to a 2 by 4 and use it as a lever to put more force on the plug to release it from the hole.
The internal workings of the clean out plugs have a very small spring operating the internal tray that locks the dogs in place, leaving the T handle up when not in use compresses that small spring and that may weaken it over time . It also holds the tray back and can allow for deposits to build up in the track that the tray slides in. This can prevent the tray from locking all the way forward and lead to a plug failure.
ALL clean out plugs from the year 2000 to today have the same internal workings , although you may rebuild your bottom part of the plug with a newer and supposedly slightly smaller bottom half that is supposed to reduce the issues with the plug getting stuck in the tube when you need to remove it, the top half and the internal parts have not been changed and may blow out with no warning.
See this video for a better understanding of how this can occur.
. Cleanout plug failures can vary from a slight blow out where the plug sits sideways in the tube ,allowing water to flow past it that can fill the engine compartment up to water ingestion in the engine if you don't catch it in time, "this may actually be the worst type" if it leads to water ingestion in your engines. Usually you notice the boat is not performing properly and you stop to investigate the problem before the engines shut down from water ingestion.
You may also experience a violent blowout that actually launches the plug from the tube, shuts your boat engines down and usually damages the rear hatch as it blows it open. All depending on how fast you are traveling when the plug releases , understand that the bottom of the plug is actually the bottom of your boat, right inside the intake tunnel in front of the pumps so you can imagine the amount of force being applied to that surface at speed and worse yet in rough conditions. The bottom of the boat takes a beating.
Maintenance of the cleanout plugs is always a good idea. Just remember with a boat the better you take care of it the better it takes care of you.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just had to put a little grease on the unlock button shaft. They were not popping back up after pressing. The grease fixed that!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
store them on your clean out tray in the locked position, this is supposed to take the pressure of the springs.
Crap. When not in use, I have always taken them out (unlocked) and left them in the tubes. I didn't know about leaving them locked.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@octavio3311 I don't think it's as imperative as checking your oil, I left mine in the unlocked position for two years before I found out the difference, I think it's just one of those "best practices" to help eliminate issues later on,

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For what it's worth I always take mine out, leave them unlocked, and lay them sideways across the top of the tubes. I'm going on 6 years now and have never had a problem with my plugs. They still lock and unlock very easily and they slide right in and out of the tubes.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put some silicone lube around the seal every once in a while. I use the same stuff from the seals on the pool. A tube is available at any pool store. Keeps the gasket nice. I also pull them and set them as others have said. No sticking issues.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It has some terrible reviews about pool seals stretching out tho....?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It has some terrible reviews about pool seals stretching out tho....?
That's a common occurrence in pool gaskets because of the chlorine contact. For whatever reason, chlorine makes rubber bloat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
so take care not to operate your boat in the pool!

Hydrashok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Crap. When not in use, I have always taken them out (unlocked) and left them in the tubes. I didn't know about leaving them locked.
Same, I always store with the plugs out of the tube but never locked them. Good idea and thanks.