• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out Plugs

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely a noob question, once I am done for the day and the boat is tied up on the water, can I pull each plug to clear the water or will the port simply fill back up with water? I ask because I pulled my boat from the marina this weekend to do some work and cleaning and found water still in the ports and slime building. That can not be good for it. The marina pulls my drain plug but they wont mess with the clean outs.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is best to pull the clean outs after every outing. Worst case scenario if you don't is that that they will be come stuck and you won't be able to get them out when you need to clear something. As you saw, slime will build up, minerals will deposit, the plugs will swell. I pull mine and turn them upside down so if there is any water inside it will leak out. I had to do the rebuild kit years ago and have had no problems since pulling them out each time.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is best to pull the clean outs after every outing. Worst case scenario if you don't is that that they will be come stuck and you won't be able to get them out when you need to clear something. As you saw, slime will build up, minerals will deposit, the plugs will swell. I pull mine and turn them upside down so if there is any water inside it will leak out. I had to do the rebuild kit years ago and have had no problems since pulling them out each time.
So can I do this on the water? I have never pulled my plugs while in the water so not sure if the ports will simply fill back up with water and it is a moot point.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So can I do this on the water? I have never pulled my plugs while in the water so not sure if the ports will simply fill back up with water and it is a moot point.
They will fill with water, and if you keep you boat in the water all the time I would just take a rag and wipe out the slime and scum, or a scotch brite pad if needed each time you insert. The problem is that when the plugs are left in there is water that sits on top and the build up happens above the plug and that plus the swelling will cause the plugs to get stuck. At some point you will suck something up and need to get in there to get it out, so I would become familiar with taking them out and putting them back in on the water.

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They will fill with water, and if you keep you boat in the water all the time I would just take a rag and wipe out the slime and scum, or a scotch brite pad if needed each time you insert. The problem is that when the plugs are left in there is water that sits on top and the build up happens above the plug and that plus the swelling will cause the plugs to get stuck. At some point you will suck something up and need to get in there to get it out, so I would become familiar with taking them out and putting them back in on the water.
Makes sense. Is it safe to leave them out while still in the water? The boat gets pulled within 24 hours of being done using it. If they are out then the water will drain out when the boat is pulled but I do not want to sink my boat either.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Personally I would not pull the cleanout plugs and leave them out if your boat is on the water. I don't trust the tube or the band clamps holding it secure to be left unattended for who knows how long. YMMV

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally I would not pull the cleanout plugs and leave them out if your boat is on the water. I don't trust the tube or the band clamps holding it secure to be left unattended for who knows how long. YMMV
I was thinking of leaving them in the ports just not secured. But I think if I just pull them, clean them and siphon off the water I should be good.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you asking if you can pull them on the water to clean them and then put them back in and go off riding? If so then yes.

If you're asking if you can pull them or even leave them not secured in the tube while your boat sits on the water overnight (or longer) then I would say I wouldn't risk it. That's just me though...

When the plug is removed from the tube and the boat is on the water then the water in the tube will rise to that of the waterline, or should in theory. I know one time I had forgot to put my cleanout plug in prior to launching the boat in the water and when I looked in the tube there was water above the locking/sealing flange area for the cleanout plug. Water could also fluctuate in there as waves come and go. Personally I would not leave it up to a band clamp failing or tube begin to leak (rare chance but it's possible) with my boat on the water and cleanout plugs removed.

Last edited:

Hellacool

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you asking if you can pull them on the water to clean them and then put them back in and go off riding? If so then yes.

If you're asking if you can pull them or even leave them not secured in the tube while your boat sits on the water overnight (or longer) then I would say I wouldn't risk it. That's just me though...

When the plug is removed from the tube and the boat is on the water then the water in the tube will rise to that of the waterline, or should in theory. I know one time I had forgot to put my cleanout plug in prior to launching the boat in the water and when I looked in the tube there was water above the locking/sealing flange area for the cleanout plug. Water could also fluctuate in there as waves come and go. I would not leave it up to a band clamp failing or tube begin to leak (rare chance but it's possible) with my boat on the water and cleanout plugs removed.
Good enough for me. Thanks for all the input.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When the plug is removed from the tube and the boat is on the water then the water in the tube will rise to that of the waterline, or should in theory. I know one time I had forgot to put my cleanout plug in prior to launching the boat in the water and when I looked in the tube there was water above the locking/sealing flange area for the cleanout plug. Water could also fluctuate in there as waves come and go. Personally I would not leave it up to a band clamp failing or tube begin to leak (rare chance but it's possible) with my boat on the water and cleanout plugs removed.
It may depend on the specific boat model, but I know on my 2008 212X, the waterline is WAY below the band-clamp/cleanout hatch opening. I would say that if water were to get that high, then you have MAJOR problems not related to the cleanout plug/tube.

I wouldn't worry at all about leaving the plugs "out" (ie: disengaged, but left in the tubes) for 24h or so before they pull the boat out of the water. I'm assuming you are using some sort of rack-and-launch program like myself. Just my $0.02

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Keep in mind when I saw water in my tube it was after I got the boat off the trailer and fired up the engine to drive away. By then it was shooting water up the tube and I had zero thrust. My tube was about half filled with water when I opened the hatch and the rest had shot up to the tray. You may be right and mine is the same way now that I think it through. Still though I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them out or at least not without the bilge being left on 'just in case'. YMMV

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On my 232, I'd pull the plugs after each weekend and they lay them, across the top of the tubes. The boat would sit in the lake for two weeks at a time, and upon my return, there wasn't ever an issue. In my instance, the water wasn't up to the tubes...barely to the top of where the plugs sit.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 232, I'd pull the plugs after each weekend and they lay them, across the top of the tubes. The boat would sit in the lake for two weeks at a time, and upon my return, there wasn't ever an issue. In my instance, the water wasn't up to the tubes...barely to the top of where the plugs sit.
I've never seen the water level past the metal part of the tube either, but I get what hacknslash is saying.

Impeller>Propeller

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
hey yall, should I lubricate the plugs with anything? Mine have become very hard to get in and out and because of that they tend to stay in when not in use. Yesterday I was cleaning the boat and I pulled them out, when we went to go out later that day they were really hard to get back in. Had a boat full of adults ready for a kid free night and I had to spend at least 10 minutes struggling to get the plugs locked in.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hey yall, should I lubricate the plugs with anything? Mine have become very hard to get in and out and because of that they tend to stay in when not in use. Yesterday I was cleaning the boat and I pulled them out, when we went to go out later that day they were really hard to get back in. Had a boat full of adults ready for a kid free night and I had to spend at least 10 minutes struggling to get the plugs locked in.
You should always remove plugs and leave out when not in use and they wont swell or get stuck

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just want to mention that we already trust many band clamps to keep our boats afloat. Exhaust components and hoses and held in place with just that, and if any fail you are at the same risk of peril.
The other aspect is, do they get the boat out without powering it up ? If they need to use it to take it out, then you cannot remove the plugs.

Good Luck with however you choose to address it.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
May have missed it but anyone have the part number for rebuild kits for 2019 FSH (21 ft twins)? Noticed today that my 2019 plugs are about done. even though I pull them every outing and the boat stays dry docked.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Last edited:

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I rebuilt mine after 10 years. It's been three seasons now and I leave them in all season ( 3 months ) because I wet slip. When I pull the boat for the off season, I then remove them and scrub them clean and just drop them back in without locking them, don't want any critters climbing into my boat via the intakes for the winter.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length