• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out port jammed

ChrisF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys,

We are currently stuck at American Marine on Lake Delavan Wi. We were out today with our 195S and could tell we were not getting enough output. I checked the clean out port and there was water. I took the plug out and sealed but i dont think it went in straight. Now we have no thrust and i cannot for the life of me remove the plug. We tried ice on it and waited an hour and still nothing. If anyone has insight or if in the area could help?

Thank you
Chris

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are sure the plug button to release is pushed all the way?

Any way to get some leverage, say with a rope around the tee, and using the table leg/other long pole available as leverage to give more power? Maybe even rope and standing in a more comfortable oosition above the plug to pull?

Are you sure the reverse gate is moving and clearing the pump nozzle when you move FNR the lever forward? Making sure your perceived lost of propulsion is not due to the boat reverse gate not moving up, and perhaps the boat behaving as if it was on neutral?

Does water enter the plug area when you try to move and get no propulsion?

Best of Luck!!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HELP ! Hopefully others will pass some feedback also!

ChrisF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are sure the plug button to release is pushed all the way?

Any way to get some leverage, say with a rope around the tee, and using the table leg/other long pole available as leverage to give more power? Maybe even rope and standing in a more comfortable oosition above the plug to pull?

Are you sure the reverse gate is moving and clearing the pump nozzle when you move FNR the lever forward? Making sure your perceived lost of propulsion is not due to the boat reverse gate not moving up, and perhaps the boat behaving as if it was on neutral?

Does water enter the plug area when you try to move and get no propulsion?

Best of Luck!!!
I dont see a plug button. Isnt it set and twist? I will try rope and pole, just worried about breaking the plug? Yeah the reverse and forward did work but had cavitaton. There was water above the plug when i opened the first time.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crap, sorry, your plug is not push in. I missed that your boat has the new twist system.

Unsure how to unlock that, I would consider some soap to try to make the mating surface slippery so it can hopefully come back out. Very few problems reported on those.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water above the plug is typical, and not a sign of a problem. This doesn't help you right now, but in the future, remember that the only problem that would cause water above the plug would be that the plugs aren't seated properly. You're already aware of how to diagnose this - zero power, because the plug isn't seated properly and is allowing thrust back up past the plug. If you DO have thrust, the plug having water above it, inside the cleanout port tube is simply from the design of the boat. Look around here later on after you're back up and operational.

To be able to help you, we really have to see some pics of your cleanout plug. There HAS been a case of someone with this newer style of plug that put it in, and somehow managed to do so improperly, and got it jammed in there. Ice won't solve this problem. Ice is used on the older style of plugs that have the pushbutton setup that @Beachbummer was referring to. I believe they ended up having to cut out the cleanout plug, and a rebuild kit had them on their way again. These plugs are extremely easy to disassemble, so you may be able to take it apart and pop it out that way, or at least get a very good look at the problem. Topside, down the tube, there are 2 ears that twist in, and you should notice something out of whack if you get to the disassembly point of this.

There is a chance you haven't jammed it up, so your best move is to try to get us as much visual info as you can, or if you can see the issue, suss out what needs to be done. This CAN be solved, and quite possibly without any cost. I'll try to track down the thread where this happened before (sounds very similar to your situation, at least, but may not be identical to you), and I'll be able get you a link to my thread showing you how to take apart your cleanout plug. All you'll need a #2 and a #3 Phillips screwdriver/bits to disassemble, but you'll want to have something below your boat to catch any screws that may escape. The cleanout plug SHOULD block this from happening, but shit happens, so plan beforehand for the just-in-case scenario. Losing a screw COULD stop you dead in your tracks for this. A magnet to remove the screws topside will help, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I work 3rd shift, so I'll be awake for a few more hours in case you're up and reading. There's a slight possibility I won't have to work tomorrow. If so, I'm around Milwaukee, and I might be able to come help out. If not, I can at least track down some information from the threads around here. I won't be checking in until 1-ish tomorrow afternoon, but hopefully you'll have things sorted out by that time.

Be sure to note that your cleanout plugs are the type that Yamaha started making in 2017, and are used in all boats from that year forward, so anyone talking about the dogs being stuck or the button issue are referring to the previous model of cleanout plug, in case you're looking at threads to try to fix your issue - those won't relate to you, and those are the two most-common words to tip you off that you're looking at the wrong type of plug, and those threads won't apply to you.

Here's one of my posts showing disassembly of your style of cleanout plug:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like your issue is similar or identical to what @kgower went through, take a look through his thread, there's lots of good info in there for you:

There's a few good shots of what the plug looks like and you can compare it to your plugs, and hopefully with this info, you can get on the water tomorrow. Good luck!

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have unjammed a 2nd generation clean out plug (properly seated but seized) with a lubricant before on the water. Make sure you remove the water on top of the plug first before applying the lubricant between the plug and tube. The lubricant I used for this is Lubgard Zer0. Its original intended use is to unseize pool o rings from outside the joint. Used it last week to unstick a plastic trailer adapter plug jammed inside the receptacle in extreme dust / heat.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any updates bud? Kinda sounds like you may have sucked something up which caused the loss of power. Ofcourse if the plug isn’t seated correctly now it definitely won’t give you much power.. Good luck and let us know!

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Water above the plug is typical, and not a sign of a problem. This doesn't help you right now, but in the future, remember that the only problem that would cause water above the plug would be that the plugs aren't seated properly. You're already aware of how to diagnose this - zero power, because the plug isn't seated properly and is allowing thrust back up past the plug. If you DO have thrust, the plug having water above it, inside the cleanout port tube is simply from the design of the boat. Look around here later on after you're back up and operational.

To be able to help you, we really have to see some pics of your cleanout plug. There HAS been a case of someone with this newer style of plug that put it in, and somehow managed to do so improperly, and got it jammed in there. Ice won't solve this problem. Ice is used on the older style of plugs that have the pushbutton setup that @Beachbummer was referring to. I believe they ended up having to cut out the cleanout plug, and a rebuild kit had them on their way again. These plugs are extremely easy to disassemble, so you may be able to take it apart and pop it out that way, or at least get a very good look at the problem. Topside, down the tube, there are 2 ears that twist in, and you should notice something out of whack if you get to the disassembly point of this.

There is a chance you haven't jammed it up, so your best move is to try to get us as much visual info as you can, or if you can see the issue, suss out what needs to be done. This CAN be solved, and quite possibly without any cost. I'll try to track down the thread where this happened before (sounds very similar to your situation, at least, but may not be identical to you), and I'll be able get you a link to my thread showing you how to take apart your cleanout plug. All you'll need a #2 and a #3 Phillips screwdriver/bits to disassemble, but you'll want to have something below your boat to catch any screws that may escape. The cleanout plug SHOULD block this from happening, but shit happens, so plan beforehand for the just-in-case scenario. Losing a screw COULD stop you dead in your tracks for this. A magnet to remove the screws topside will help, but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I work 3rd shift, so I'll be awake for a few more hours in case you're up and reading. There's a slight possibility I won't have to work tomorrow. If so, I'm around Milwaukee, and I might be able to come help out. If not, I can at least track down some information from the threads around here. I won't be checking in until 1-ish tomorrow afternoon, but hopefully you'll have things sorted out by that time.

Be sure to note that your cleanout plugs are the type that Yamaha started making in 2017, and are used in all boats from that year forward, so anyone talking about the dogs being stuck or the button issue are referring to the previous model of cleanout plug, in case you're looking at threads to try to fix your issue - those won't relate to you, and those are the two most-common words to tip you off that you're looking at the wrong type of plug, and those threads won't apply to you.

Here's one of my posts showing disassembly of your style of cleanout plug:

Reason #117 why I love this forum…when your shit goes sideways (and it will, eventually, for every one of us)…there is ALWAYS someone here who will do everything they can to help you out. Research, suggestions, volunteering to come and help in person…just another day in the forum. Nice response, @drewkaree !

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did everything get sorted out? If so, what was the outcome or results of what caused this? Still at the marina?

Here's hoping it is/was a quick and easy fix

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Water can get on top of the cleanout plugs when making a quick stop and wave washes up the swim deck so not necessarily plug miss-seated, however, your lack of thrust and the inability to remove the plug does indicate a misaligned cleanout plug.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Help me get this unstuck.
LOOKS like it's installed properly. Should require you to push down slightly while turning at the same time.

Your pics actually seem to show it's in position to be removed.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep disassembling, after the handle is removed, that large center screw should be removed, and then pull that metal top plate off. At that point, any anomalies should be apparent.

Rubber skirt on the seal COULD be kinked and bunched up, or it's been reported that someone was able to put it into position 180° from proper - your pics don't show if this could be the case, added info as to the position of the back of the boat (water) and towards the front (towards the cockpit)

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The black lower portion of the plug should fall out under the boat once the screw is removed, unless the rubber ring is wonky. You SHOULD be able to remove the rubber ring at that point, but the possibility exists that it's stuck, and that's the thing causing you problems.

PlaneDriver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
LOOKS like it's installed properly. Should require you to push down slightly while turning at the same time.

Your pics actually seem to show it's in position to be removed.
Does the thing that I circle need to be in line with the set mark to be able to pull it? Or do I need to use brute force to pull it straight out?

Attachments