• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleaning Glass

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone have a "secret formula" for glass? Windex streak streak streak. Invisible glass streak streak streak. I live in a salt water environment. Thinking of using a dilute solution of Salt Away mixed with vinegar. I live in a salt water environment. Thoughts?

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar. Use newspaper to wipe. Old school, but works very well. If you have a lot of salt spots I'd let it sit for several minutes then spray again then wipe.

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have a "secret formula" for glass? Windex streak streak streak. Invisible glass streak streak streak. I live in a salt water environment. Thinking of using a dilute solution of Salt Away mixed with vinegar. I live in a salt water environment. Thoughts?
I wouldn't say it's a secret formula but I use Meguiar's Synthetic X-press Spray Wax on the entire boat, including the glass and seats. After spraying the boat down with water, I spray the wax on the glass while it's still wet, towel off the water and wax, and then use a dry towel to buff. I always use microfiber towels for all surfaces. The glass is spotless and streak-free every time. This has worked well for me and I boat only in salt water.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If the other advice does not work (as in you have bonded water spots that do not dissolve easily), you can polish the glass with a glass polishing compound (like Griot's Fine Glass Polish) using a glass pad and a RO Buffer.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a spray bottle of Invisible Glass, works fantastic. No streaks. Can't figure out why you are streaking.

Edit.... Should of read your full post. Maybe the salt water does it. My bad.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
50/50 mix of hot water and vinegar. Use newspaper to wipe. Old school, but works very well. If you have a lot of salt spots I'd let it sit for several minutes then spray again then wipe.
THIS!
We don't boat in saltwater, but we have somewhat hard water around the great lakes from all the minerals in the ground. Hard water leaves water spots that don't come off without some elbow grease. But using vinegar and water works great. We keep a 1-to-4 ratio of vinegar to water spray bottle in the truck to wipe down the boat at end of day. Takes the spots off easily and doesn't harm anything. It's also very cheap to buy/make a bottle to spray.

Note that salt is a mineral and leaves hard deposits behind and vinegar is a natural solvent for minerals. Just note that salt and vinegar mixed produces hydrocloric acid which is harsh for many surfaces. In the small amounts of salt on a window it's a non-issue, but if very salty, I'd recommend wiping it off right away. You could use warm water to soften and rinse first, then spray straight vinegar and wipe off, and rinse again to make sure the acid is gone. Then use Windex or Invisible Glass to get a streak free surface.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Get yourself something called winsol 550. Stuff is unbelievable. This is a professional product but you should be able to find it. It dissolves everything on the glass. I used this on my 232 windshield thats 13 years old. Had so much buildup of spots that you could barely see out of them. After this stuff the glass looked brand new. Crystal clear.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get a synthetic clay pad, and use Hot Sauce as your "clay lube" - try the vinegar/water mix first to see if it gets all the stuff off, still using the clay pad.

When it's finally clean to your satisfaction, go over it again with soap and water, then put some Rejex or sealant/wax of your choice on your windows so you don't have such a tough time in the future with this.