• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout plug rebuild PROBLEMS -- SOLVED??

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do a search here for stuck plugs and you will find many implements to remove stuck plugs. Everything from the rope up to a floor jack over the hole to the 2x4 tied down to a rope around the T handle...

Good luck!

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm having the exact same problem, but even worse I would guess.....I removed mine (with a floor jack, they were stuck tight!). They were filthy dirty with scum and silt. Took them apart, cleaned them all up, scrubbed down the tubes with a brush and some sudsy water. When I tried slipping the cleaned up plugs down, the rubber gasket (O-ring if you prefer) sits proud of the plastic manhole cover, so when the rubber hits the metal in the tube, it catches and won't go any further. That's about half inch to 3/4 inch above where it needs to sit. The bottom edge of the gasket is flared outward from use, expansion, etc. So the rubber just catches the metal and won't allow it to slip down into the metal hole. Thought about tying some string around the base of the gasket to pull that lip inward (creating a taper to allow the rubber to slip INSIDE of the metal edge). Haven't tried it and would prefer not to. I have the repair kits ordered, but still not here yet. HOPING that it's just a swollen gasket and the new manhole cover and gasket will solve the problem. The manhole cover obviously shouldn't have changed, it's hard plastic. And I know it's not the manhole cover plastic that's holding my plug from going down, it's the rubber gasket. Just sit tight and wait on the new kits?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Absolutely. Classic need for a rebuild. Don't do your idea to force the old one in there. The rubber is swollen and needs to be replaced.

Sit tight; rebuild when you get the kit.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yep agreed....after studying the photos posted on this thread, I quickly realized just how bad my gaskets were. Copying in the photo from the post previously and adding my current situation, you can see just how badly my gasket is swollen outward....there ain't NO WAY this will ever get squeezed back in that hole! LOL Since I haven't seen what one of these SHOULD look like, I just didn't know what I didn't know! But......now I know LOL

Attachments

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you won't believe how easy they go in and come out after the rebuild. i take mine out after every use now and they never give me any trouble.

jjtherocketman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
you won't believe how easy they go in and come out after the rebuild. i take mine out after every use now and they never give me any trouble.
Yep, I got the kits this morning and swapped out to the new parts. They did drop most of the way in, but still didn't want to lock right away. I grabbed some steel wool and scrubbed the tubes and metal parts down some. Also applied some silicon grease to both the gasket and the aluminum on the plugs and was able to get them the rest of the way in. Snug fit, but they went in and came back out after a short run on the river. Now I have to deal with the starboard engine that seemed to be dropping a cylinder under load....yep....a hole in the water to pour your money into! LOL