• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout plug rebuild PROBLEMS -- SOLVED??

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had success with lubricant Lubegard Zer0 shrinking the swollen O ring on that style cleanout plug to get the plug back in the tube on the water. This lubricant also does a fair job of physically cleaning the surface where it has been applied as well. Lubegard manufacturer claims it can be applied to the outside of a seized O ring to unstick it. I have not had to deal with that yet.

Even if the plug can not get back in, or has debris stuck in the pump, these boats can still limp around at about 5mph.

There was also some talk a couple of years of a reverse move procedure on this forum to clear the pump obstruction without pulling the cleanout plug or swimming under the boat.

penziol

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I rebuilt my 2 clean out plugs yesterday and I can tell you it made a world of difference. I had the same issues I have seen on here, a pain in the ass to pull out and almost impossible to get back in. After rebuilding them, I can pretty much line them up and they drop all the way into position on their own. I wouldn't have believed that if someone told me that is how they are supposed to be being that mine were so tight. My gaskets were just so expanded.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I rebuilt my 2 clean out plugs yesterday and I can tell you it made a world of difference. I had the same issues I have seen on here, a pain in the ass to pull out and almost impossible to get back in. After rebuilding them, I can pretty much line them up and they drop all the way into position on their own. I wouldn't have believed that if someone told me that is how they are supposed to be being that mine were so tight. My gaskets were just so expanded.
that's what i was hoping for, i've read the same stuff but my rebuild didn't fix the problem. if anything, they are worse now than before i replaced the rubber. i'm starting to think maybe the top part of the plugs, the hard rubber or plastic portion has expanded over the years. can someone run a tape around that part of their plugs and post the measurement to the 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch, please? or i guess mm's would be ok, too. i'm gonna pull the port side plug tomorrow and i'd like to measure it and have something to compare while i'm posting photos of the plug and tube.
thanks, as always, guys!

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was also some talk a couple of years of a reverse move procedure on this forum to clear the pump obstruction without pulling the cleanout plug or swimming under the boat.
yes, Jeff at CobraJet told me about "the move." reverse throttles, shut off your engines and then put the throttle(s) forward as the boat is still moving.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can measure mine tonight when i get home

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:winkingthumbsup"

i hope this is the answer. just buy new plugs and be done with it.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine have the slightest bit of wiggle room when bottomed out with the dogs unlocked
Soft rubber seal below 15 16/16
20200625_184849.jpg

Hard plastic just above soft rubber
16 1/16
20200625_184959.jpg20200625_185143.jpg20200625_185248.jpg

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet once you figure out what is too big you can attack it with some sand paper and this will soon be a distant memory. Don't despair!

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, I’m seeing 15-15/16 above the rubber and 16-1/16 around the rubber, is that right? i can tell you right now, my tubes do NOT look like yours. They are splotchy and, well, un-smooth. Will post pics tomorrow.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Coarse steel wool and some gloves on those tubes. Attack! (Just kidding on the attack side, but it may need some buffing and elbow grease)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, I’m seeing 15-15/16 above the rubber and 16-1/16 around the rubber, is that right? i can tell you right now, my tubes do NOT look like yours. They are splotchy and, well, un-smooth. Will post pics tomorrow.
yes, it wasn't a perfect measurement but pretty close,

I might even try an wire wheel on a drill or dremel to clean it up depending on how bad it is,

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes, it wasn't a perfect measurement but pretty close,

I might even try an wire wheel on a drill or dremel to clean it up depending on how bad it is,
The tube photos are bad because the boat is in a wet slip and I don’t have time to pull her out today. You can still see it needs some work with an abrasive. When I run my fingers around the metal I can feel scale deposits.
MEASUREMENTS:
The hard plastic part of the port plug I pulled measures 16-1/16” around, 1/8” more than @Scottintexas. That makes about 1/16” difference in diameter which I think is significant. Also, I wrapped the plug in duct tape, marked the meeting point then measured that with a ruler. If anything I think this would give a smaller result than Scottintexas, but my plug is still bigger (what?!). Significantly, the brand new rubber measures exactly the same circumference, 16-1/16 which matches yours, @Scottintexas.

So what do you guys think? I would lay money the starboard plug is even bigger (expanded). New plugs at $200 each or get the tubes pristine then try again? I don’t think a few mineral spots will make 1/16” difference.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My hard area just above the rubber seal is 16. 1/16. Same as yours

Your rubber seal seams bigger than mine

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even in the water, you can hit the tube with steel wood and or wire brush. It should fit smoothly in.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My hard area just above the rubber seal is 16. 1/16. Same as yours

Your rubber seal seams bigger than mine
Are you sure you don’t have that backwards, @Scottintexas? Your photos above appear to show the hard plastic part at 15-15/16.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are we comparing wet vs. dry cleanout plug o-rings?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Edited my post with pictures above, i think I'm correct but i woke up at 630 this morning

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Edited my post with pictures above, i think I'm correct but i woke up at 630 this morning
Yes, I see now. I’m gonna apply some serious elbow grease to the tubes as per above and see what I can do.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, as painful as this is for me to admit, I think improper assembly of the plugs and new o-rings has been the source of my troubles. Specifically, I overtourqued the screws when reassembling the plugs, causing the rubber to flare out. Since this is how the old ones looked it didn't look wrong to me at the time. After reassembling the port-side plug I took it back to the marina on Saturday and it dropped right in, easy peasie. I can only assume the starboard plug will be the same but I have some work to do there to get it back out (I really jammed it in there). I'm thinking I probably better order another bottom unit in case I have permanently damaged the rubber on that one.

Embarrassed but (partially) relieved. Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread.