• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cleanout plug rebuild PROBLEMS -- SOLVED??

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the short history here is the first time i had my 2015 AR240 out after purchase i forgot to check the plugs and had a terrible time getting them in (on the water). i resolved that day to do the plug rebuild and ordered the kits but have been nervous about taking the plugs out again... what if i couldn't get them back in again? took the boat out of the water this weekend to clean it and thought it would be a good time to rebuild the plugs. i knew i was in trouble when the rubber on the old plugs was still flexible and looked fine but i figured i would proceed, anyway. maybe after i cleaned out the tubes with steel wool and lubed the tubes and new plug bottoms everything would be ok. i cleaned like a fiend, lubed to the extreme and the plugs were MUCH harder to deal with than they had been the first time around. i had to literally beat on one of them in with a stick and hammer for half an hour to get it in. i also installed the Cobra EZ Locks but totally unnecessary, these plugs ain't going anywhere.

so my question is, now what? i am obviously not going to remove the plugs again until after the season but what then? have the tubes shrunk? i guess it's possible they have mineral build up that could be sanded away but i really thought i gave them "what for" this time with the steel wool. i would love to be able to remove the plugs every time out but there is no way i'm taking them out anytime soon, i risk losing a weekend (or more) on the water.

any ideas?

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are the metal tubes the plug goes into clean ?? It's not that I don't believe you're having issues it's just that it should be that hard, especially after a rebuild and I have to think something else is going on,

Do you ever come over to Lewisville/grapevine or ray Roberts ?? I don't get to sachse often,

I wouldn't want to take my boat out if I wasn't able to work the plugs correctly, if you ever suck up a rope your in trouble and if it gets in both shafts your toast,

maybe a picture of your cleanout tube and plug if you take them out again,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something's up. When you feel luckier, you need to examine the mechanism very well. The system is quite simple thankfully. Perhaps the plugs are not going in all the way into the slot? Silicone in the groove at the bottom? on the side holes that the plug engages?

How easily do the plugs slide in a out of the hole when they are not engaged? do they feel like they are flush to the bottom? How easily do they lock and unlock when you are holding them out of the boat?

Best of Luck!

You can live without them for a season, but it seems with enough force you can get them to work, might as well give it another try the next non-boating day you have a few hours free.

I had a seadoo and if you caught a rope or weeds it was swimming time, but like @Scottintexas says, they sure are nice to have.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something's up. When you feel luckier, you need to examine the mechanism very well. The system is quite simple thankfully. Perhaps the plugs are not going in all the way into the slot? Silicone in the groove at the bottom? on the side holes that the plug engages?

i agree, something is definitely up. i feel like i did inspect them thoroughly which is why i took the steel wool to the tubes. they looked rough but much better after. Yamalube EVERYWHERE.

How easily do the plugs slide in a out of the hole when they are not engaged? do they feel like they are flush to the bottom? How easily do they lock and unlock when you are holding them out of the boat?

they come in and out of the top portion of the tube just fine. no problems there. but when we get to the point where the flexible rubber hits the tighter (metal?) portion of the tube it becomes a nightmare. i have to fight for every cm of progress. lock/unlock feature works easily. again, the problem is getting them seated all the way down.

Best of Luck!

You can live without them for a season, but it seems with enough force you can get them to work, might as well give it another try the next non-boating day you have a few hours free.

I had a seadoo and if you caught a rope or weeds it was swimming time, but like @Scottintexas says, they sure are nice to have.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As in engine oil?

I have no idea if that’s compatible with whatever kind of rubber seal in on the plugs. But some oils will cause some rubbers to swell.

I don’t use any lubricant on the cleanout plugs.

7EACCA2C-7E77-495E-81A8-B9E4D4B2BC07.jpeg

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As in engine oil?

I have no idea if that’s compatible with whatever kind of rubber seal in on the plugs. But some oils will cause some rubbers to swell.

I don’t use any lubricant on the cleanout plugs.

View attachment 123622
Yamalube also has a silicone spray which is what i used.

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamalube also has a silicone spray which is what i used.
Yeah silicone spray is the correct lube will not effect the rubber wd40 will soften it and make it sticky

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
gotta be the tubes. they've somehow contracted or have mineral buildup i can't see or feel. if anyone has had this happen i'd love to hear how/if you addressed it. i feel like i've seen posts about having the tubes rebuilt on here but i can't find them. sounded expensive.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so where in the process of installation is your problem that you have to beat on them ??

When you first put them in the hole at the cleanout tray level?
half way down where it is only the black "rubber" tube?
fitting them at the lowest portion where the metal is ?

Once you get them all the way down do the dog ears lock easily or do you have to beat on the "T" handle to lock them ?

Have you ran a caliper around the plug itself to see if it's round ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just confirming, you bought your boat "used",

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are the metal tubes the plug goes into clean ?? It's not that I don't believe you're having issues it's just that it should be that hard, especially after a rebuild and I have to think something else is going on,

Do you ever come over to Lewisville/grapevine or ray Roberts ?? I don't get to sachse often,

I wouldn't want to take my boat out if I wasn't able to work the plugs correctly, if you ever suck up a rope your in trouble and if it gets in both shafts your toast,

maybe a picture of your cleanout tube and plug if you take them out again,

sorry scott, i didn't see your post earlier. haven't had her anywhere but ray hubbard so far, i have a wet slip there. if i get out your way at some point this summer i will definitely pm you. totally get your point, this issue drives me crazy but... i'm still going out. ;-)
and YES, bought used a couple of months ago.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so where in the process of installation is your problem that you have to beat on them ??

When you first put them in the hole at the cleanout tray level?
half way down where it is only the black "rubber" tube?
fitting them at the lowest portion where the metal is ?

Once you get them all the way down do the dog ears lock easily or do you have to beat on the "T" handle to lock them ?

Have you ran a caliper around the plug itself to see if it's round ?

the trouble starts when the soft rubber hits the metal portion. The port plug is difficult but I can force it by hand with some work. The starboard plug is a nightmare. Couldn’t even get one side down without beating on it. Both sides were difficult to get the dog ears locked but body weight was sufficient. I haven’t used a caliper.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something's up. The plug should bottom out when rebuilt with barely any force. More like aligning to the middle and it almost falls into place. Got to figure out where is rubbing.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe I can take the plugs out again Sunday PM, post some photos of plugs and tubes and see what you guys think. But I do so under duress; honestly, it kind of freaks me out. I’ve gotta come up with a better plan to get them back in. Because what I did yesterday sucked.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe just take the port one since it's not as bad,