• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering vs Thrust Vectors. Final opinion

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Ok. Here it is. Salient facts;

1) New to boating.
2) First boat. First jet boat.
3) Yamaha 252SD 2021
4) I bought both steering systems.
5) I’m in Canada
6) The way both companies ship, you will get nailed with around $100 duty and customs. (Free trade and we are each others largest trading partner???)

Both systems have very intuitive install videos and instructions.

Both companies are excellent to deal with.

Both systems provide very welcomed steering assist at low speed. I now question the effectiveness of the stock articulating keel at all. It is directly perpendicular to the flat stern of the hull and I just question how much water effectively flows over its surface.

The Vectors arrived first so I put them on. I had 12 hours on the new boat stock. I put 3 hours on the vectors in Lake Erie at a bunch of different speeds, anchoring and docking. (Note: the Vectors DO NOT hang below the keel on the 2021 25 footers. No kickstand needed at the beach) After Erie, I pulled the boat, put on the Cobras and trailered to Lake Huron. Big water compared to the inlets and sandbars by my slip in Turkey Point, Lake Erie.

Nothing new here…the Cobras shine at speed. I just love them. It’s been said to me that some boat owners like to drift in turns. With the Cobras and the 2021 hull design, my boat clearly “carves”. When performing a hard turn to starboard, the port side gets lifted in the air and the hull is pretty much point and shoot.

Beside my Dodge Ram, I drive a sports car. So I appreciate the added responsiveness.

i have to admit I really love the new feel of my boat….and I was prepared to put the vectors back on if I didn’t. But I won’t be doing that.

my biggest challenge is reminding myself I DON’T need to oversteer. I find myself doing it when all I need to do is small corrections. I’ll break that habit soon.

I tried a few manoeuvres where I cut the throttles and cranked the steering. I was in light chop and had passengers so I didn’t really get to assess the “no power” steering. And as for getting on plane faster…. I don’t crank the throttles…I go to speed gradually so I didn’t assess.

But my final decision is to leave the Cobras installed, and move on. I’m really happy with them.

today I am installing my new gas lift pedestal for the captains chair. I’ll circle back to my thread on that with pictures and hopefully a success story this evening.

thank you Will, thank you Jeff….you guys are such an important part of jet boat culture.

and thanks to those who read my observations.

EDIT. I forgot to mention…. Jeff & Cobra state the importance of aligning the jet nozzles before the install. It’s shown on the video And documented in his install instructions. My brand new boat’s nozzles and articulating keel were noticeably out of whack. Once I knew what to look for, I could see it right away….so, regardless of the system you install, I highly recommend going through that exercise.

Last edited:
And i didn’t know about the duty and taxes till after.

MfM if you don’t mind I’d like to start off making it a fun thread:

There’s really no difference in the Cobra Jet steering and the Jet Boat Pilot steering systems. One system is plastic the other is aluminum, they do the same thing. Just a bunch of marketing blather.

A thread to end all threads on this? Thanks for your evaluation and the feel at the wheel is a very personal thing, so both and finless will always be the right answer for some. I remember years back test driving a 2003 BMW E46 and a 2002. They changed the steering pump in 03 and the car felt super tight on rails. I loved it and bought the 03; but would not have been caught dead in the 2002. I liked finless on the boat for a long time but went with Thrust Vectors to help others driving. I do like lateral thrusters a LOT. TVs are fun cause at 3000 rpm they shoot a great rooster tail fountain.

Certainly any fool can see that both are adjustable, both have the second tie rod, both have the plaining surface, and both steer the boat at all speeds and without power, both make the high speed turns faster and sharper and both have the tail hook fin. Sorry how silly of me to think I have 5 us patents and over 100 patented claims plus 20 years of experience making jet boats steer and drivers smile of course it's all the same if you are STUPID! I think the silent majority is a lot smarter than the couple of jealous fools that just posted on this thread.

FUN!

Fun indeed! Jeff responded with his typical copy and paste patented answer, and did not disappoint!

No it is really pretty immature and very sad for the reputation of this web site, if you would like I can put Julian's recent review of his cobra jet steering system you may as well show off your superb level of intellect on that one also. one more person on the ignore list.

There’s really no difference in the Cobra Jet steering and the Jet Boat Pilot steering systems. One system is plastic the other is aluminum, they do the same thing. Just a bunch of marketing blather.
I would have agreed with this until I tried the Cobras after having TVs. They are superior. In my mind this is because they are aluminum and flex less. The TVs helped, the Cobras helped more, and I like having them at speed. For approximately the same price, Cobras are the way to go. I don’t think there is anyone who knows about steering these boats than Jeff.
Edit-I was finless for 5 seasons so I have experience with that too. Fins are a necessary upgrade and you might as well go straight to Cobras.

Dudes! Do not poke the sleeping giant… have you learned nothing on this forum!!!! ?.

This test is incomplete.

You also need those hydro...err hydra fins or whatever that fly-by-night company was called. OG’s on here will remember them on here. I remember they had all sorts of gimmick CFD pictures and swore their fins were the new shit. I think they got a few cease and desist letters tho :D

Dudes! Do not poke the sleeping giant… have you learned nothing on this forum!!!! ?.

I’m a Cobra Jet guy, they’re on my boat. Jeff helped me out on Easter Sunday with some installation questions. I just thought it would be fun to spice up the thread . ?

This test is incomplete.

You also need those hydro...err hydra fins or whatever that fly-by-night company was called. OG’s on here will remember them on here. I remember they had all sorts of gimmick CFD pictures and swore their fins were the new shit. I think they got a few cease and desist letters tho :D
*hydrojetpro
AFC4B88C-3D4E-489E-9AD8-E56B2AAD752C.gifAFC4B88C-3D4E-489E-9AD8-E56B2AAD752C.gif

Yup that’s the ones

Back