• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra VM AK + Lateral Thrusters Ready to go

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a reminder the magnum A K steering is cross compatible with either my mega fangs or the lateral thrusters.
That means one can use AKs, Megas, and LTs at the same time, correct?

As you know I have AKs and Megas, not willing to part with albeit I would consider running with a single Mega/Fang - based on @ttzz write ups. So, if adding LTs is an option what would I need to change?

(I do not care about warranties, so lets not get into that)

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Makin them to accept either one or the other your choice. Not both at the same time.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If I recall correctly when you were testing the mega fangs you said you never alternate your throttles when backing and you did not try doing it as you wanted to copy your personal driving style , so perhaps you should try this and also try bumping the appropriate throttle from neutral to reverse or forward while the other is in the desired direction or both in forward or reverse to crawl in to the position you want since the mega fangs utilize more of the available thrust in reverse you may be very surprised just how easy it is to move the boat in any direction in very small increments and rotate the boat similarly.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That means one can use AKs, Megas, and LTs at the same time, correct?

As you know I have AKs and Megas, not willing to part with albeit I would consider running with a single Mega/Fang - based on @ttzz write ups. So, if adding LTs is an option what would I need to change?

(I do not care about warranties, so lets not get into that)

--
My write up is based on using the SINGLE ORIGINAL fangs (not sure what else to call them). They bolt directly to the AK fins. This is not to be confused with the Mega Fangs that bolt to the nozzle bolt. You can't use the LTs with the Mega Fangs because they use the same mounting location. I personally wouldn't put the Megas in the same category as the original single fangs from what I've heard from others, Megas are hands down newer design and better performance. If you like the what the Mega Fangs give you, you will want to stick with them as I really doubt you will get anywhere near the same results with the single original fangs I'm using in my setup - all reverse control is a result of the LTs in my setup. Like Jeff said, a person really needs to choose between the Megas and the LTs for added reverse control, no way to have both.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Makin them to accept either one or the other your choice. Not both at the same time.
Got it.
Are there any obvious downsides/issues with doing what @ttzz did, above (post #1)?
This being my current setup, would I need to lose the Megas? Could I replace them with a single Fang, like @ttzz did?
upload_2018-6-18_9-21-16.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My write up is based on using the SINGLE ORIGINAL fangs (not sure what else to call them). They bolt directly to the AK fins. This is not to be confused with the Mega Fangs that bolt to the nozzle bolt. You can't use the LTs with the Mega Fangs because they use the same mounting location. I personally wouldn't put the Megas in the same category as the original single fangs from what I've heard from others, Megas are hands down newer design and better performance. If you like the what the Mega Fangs give you, you will want to stick with them as I really doubt you will get anywhere near the same results with the single original fang setup that I'm using. Like Jeff said, a person really needs to choose between the Megas and the LTs for added reverse control, no way to have both.
@ttzz Yes! I should've known that...

I think I cross posted, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC - yes I do not use the throttles independently, I need to try that some - thanks for reminding me of that.

I am not willing to go without the fins down at speed, that much I know.

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@ttzz Yes! I should've known that...

I think I cross posted, @Cobra Jet Steering LLC - yes I do not use the throttles independently, I need to try that some - thanks for reminding me of that.

I am not willing to go without the fins down at speed, that much I know.

--
Next time I am out... if I remember... I am going to try what the LTs accomplish and see how my results are. I will let the stern float out from the dock a little so I have a good sample.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This one was for swatski =Besides look at the nice paint job I did for you on those mega fangs and magnum ak fins I keep telling people they can color their cobra steering using the new rustolium paint, this is what I painted your with, and how do you like steering with the fins set at one notch back as opposed to the original way you tried them? That leads me to another point of the mega fangs being independent of the fins unlike the early style ak fangs when you change positions you do not interfere with the mega fangs.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@swatski "I am not willing to go without the fins down at speed, that much I know."

Yep, me neither - that much we can agree! :D

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This one was for swatski =Besides look at the nice paint job I did for you on those mega fangs and magnum ak fins I keep telling people they can color their cobra steering using the new rustolium paint, this is what I painted your with, and how do you like steering with the fins set at one notch back as opposed to the original way you tried them? That leads me to another point of the mega fangs being independent of the fins unlike the early style ak fangs when you change positions you do not interfere with the mega fangs.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Been meaning to ask you -- curious what benefits would you outline for moving the fins up. I'm thinking of trying your earlier suggestion in this thread of moving the fins up to higher mounting holes to use the fangs in their original position and still get them out of the way of the LTs. What are the benefits and trade offs for moving the AKs to the different mounting hole angles? In other words what was your reasoning to provide those various mounting angle options when you designed these fins?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, I like the looks and how those work great!
I will most likely drop them back down - for maximum influence at speed whenever I get to it, the boat is on the lift right now.

I will try splitting the throttles - for research purposes, lol, albeit it is not my favorite thing to do.

Yeah, now that I think of this, I do not like splitting the throttles. I'm probably just not coordinated enough.

I feel that in situations when I really need to move, I really need to move - and there is no time for playing with split throttles, it is just too slow for my reaction times, and it feels like too much risk for me of doing something wrong, anyway, when in a strong wind/current etc. And if it is just slow docking/no stress/no strong wind/current situation - I would be hard pressed to say I need any more assistance I already have with the AK/Mega combo, but could always learn new tricks!

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ttzz moving the fins on your 21 foot hull may change the feel of them at speed it should allow you to reset the original A K fangs also it puts the fins in more of a trailing posture rather than an aggressive one. The reason for all the different settings is to allow you to tune the system and get the feel that suits your needs as well as someone else with a different set of needs .
I suggest it just to see if you like it better nothing lost because you can always reset them to the more aggressive setting if you like.
Say you decided you wanted a less aggressive influence level at planning speeds but you want the slow speed docking and no wake control you have several settings to try so that you can achieve the most comfortable level of influence to fit your boating requirements.
If the fins were set all the way up they would have a smaller effect an planning speeds but still a good influence at slower speeds.
To me having the ability to steer off power is the most important feature I offer, if you can't control your boat at planning speeds when you decelerate rapidly you are at the most risk of collision and injury.
A few years back I recall we had someone locally accidentally pull the kill switch traveling under the bridge by fort Desoto boat ramp .
He was on a P W C with a passenger he struck the cement bases for the bridge pylons and died .
It took a while for them to determine that it was the lanyard that shut off the engine and he could not steer away from the impact.
I believe that in this case the weight of the passenger contributed to the death by crushing his ribs but the point is when something unexpected happens it sure is nice to have a way out.
You usually don't have time to think about it until later if you're lucky.
I used a 24 foot Yamaha with my ultimate steering and my early smaller fangs traveling at W O T with 3 people in the boat, pulled the throttles back to neutral and then had the driver do a right turn and then a left turn, his jaw dropped when the boat carved to the right and then to the left because he did not believe it would make the second turn, he does now!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
^^ Noticed this two weekends ago when I was doing tow sports for first time. I was shocked that I could still get the boat to turn with the engines killed (still had forward momentum)

Rick Russler

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are JBP lateral thrusters compatible with the Cobra Viper on An AR 195? Would the combination be beneficial?Does the installation of either conflict with the other? Which should be installed first?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You can not mix the two with a keel on a 19 foot boat . That being said you have the viper and it really needs nothing more as the boat will steer in forward at ALL speeds Idle to W O T and in reverse like a regular boat so for $159 you get all your boat needs and steering at speed with your Cobra system even planning assistance and hull stability in rough water along with steering for water sports. You can even keep the boat under control when decelerating rapidly. Around the dock it's a new boat out in the water it's a new boat why waste money fooling with perfection?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On an dual outboard or inboard prop boat, splitting the throttles works well, with the $##$tY reverse on these boats in my opinion doesn't work. I use hard right hard left steering and go slow. After the fireworks on the fourth I backed my boat into a slip and didn't have much more space in front or sides that the boat is long. It was a bit of jockeying slow forward full left turn and then back full right turn, made it in and I never touched the dock.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ttzz @swatski - thank you both (and to everyone else on this thread). With all of your great first hand knowledge and input I believe that I have found the set up that I will go with.... the @ttzz set up!

Latereral Thrusters with the always deployed steering enhancement of the Cobra system. Thanks again guys!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ttzz @swatski - thank you both (and to everyone else on this thread). With all of your great first hand knowledge and input I believe that I have found the set up that I will go with.... the @ttzz set up!

Latereral Thrusters with the always deployed steering enhancement of the Cobra system. Thanks again guys!
Keep us posted!

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm following as well. I am getting the impression that an "always down" system may be better for my style of boating. I'm curious as to what speed the TV's come up. As a putt putt around the lake with friends requires constant steering to counter the constant wander of the boat.

I'm not new to Jetboats, but this is an extreme amount of wheel movement at that speed.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

So far I'm absolutely thrilled with this setup, does everything I want or need. Hopefully you will find the same.
Just a side note, it did take me 3 tries to get the alignment I liked as far as the toe-in configuration. In the end, 1/8" toe-in of the fins (before attaching the single fangs) was the winner for me. Toe-in meaning the leading edge of the fins are closer together than the trailing edges.