• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Communication Error Engine

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2020 Yamaha 195s. It has 24 hours on it. At the end of last season I performed all the winterizing steps and removed my battery to leave on my Noco Genius 2.

today I got the boat out of storage and put the battery back in. Once the connext booted up I got an audible alarm and “communication error engine” popped up on the screen. All electronics including the radio work, but the engine won’t turn over and it says “err” on the TAC.
My nearest dealership is two hours away so I am hoping someone has seen this before and has some ideas.
Thanks in advance

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Can you post a picture of the battery hook up? Maybe a ground is miswired?

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Double check that you hooked BOTH ground wires back to the engine. I had this same exact issue with my AR195 and I did not hook up the other ground after winter.

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I checked to be sure and had two grounds and two positives connected to the battery. I even disconnected then reconnected everything twice.

the display is showing me 12.3v and everything works but I get that error even before I turn the battery knob on.

I can’t send a photo because I put it back in storage.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Another option is a blown fuse due to wires touching during removal/installation....

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m trying to find a diagram of the electrical

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
With the stock 1 battery setup, you should have 3 grounds and 1 red on the battery....

Annotation 2020-05-01 071505356789101119.png

There are multiple reds attached to the switched side of the on/off switch. Your bilge pump red is either wired directly to the battery or on the always hot post of the battery switch.

Check the 10A main relay fuse and 30A battery fuse as well.

Last edited:

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine has two reds that go to the positive side. One has a label that says “house”

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Mine has two reds that go to the positive side. One has a label that says “house”
That red wire should be have it's other end connected to the on/off switch....

Last edited:

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Is the battery switch on? What is the label on the red wire which doesn't have the rubber boot?

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The battery switch is on when I have 12.3 or so volts. With it off, the dash still turns on and shows 10 bolts or so.

one connected to red goes to the battery switch, the other goes into the stern of the boat.

NSpradley

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This picture in the owners manual shows three grounds connected. I wonder if the one without a label should be on that side.
Not taking a photo when I disconnected it for storage was a bad choice in hindsight

Attachments

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was about to say they used to have a small additional ground that was easy to miss if you removed your batteries. That was on non-Connext boats and previous years so who knows now. In hindsight this is why I much prefer onboard battery chargers as opposed to removing batteries and using a tender in the garage. Less chance to go wrong and so much easier to keep the batteries in tip top shape. There is also an inline fuse near one of the positive leads that can pop if you remove and reconnect batteries as that happened to me. Had power to everything g except able to start the engine.

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: I came back up to the storage building and moved the unlabeled wire to the negative side of the battery and it fired right up. User error and not surprising.

I appreciate those of you who helped me think through it
Didn’t know that year had 3!