• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Concealed Handgun License

-klb-

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife acquired her CHL the first year Texas allowed them. I've had mine about 10 years now. She has a Kahr PM9 that she absolutely loves. My 2nd gen Glock 19 is a much better fit for my finger length. Thankfully I'm a big enough guy that the 19 pretty much dissappears in a Milt Sparks IWB holster.

Now if I could do like my brother and find an employer that does not have firearms restrictions on the books.

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Love my 1911's and Glocks. Depends on the mood and where I am going to decide what to carry. I have never carried on the Boat.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
39 days into waiting for my CHL, Should be coming through. I have a Mark IV Colt Mustang .380 for pocket carry and getting SA SDS 9mm. Scored 246 out of 250 with the little .380.

Brmorganjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I lived in a normal state and carried, I carried a Sig P239. Alot of people will try to push you to what they like....best advice...pick a reputable manufacture...go to a gun store and look and try....pick what fits your hand, a cal that you are comfortable shooting, yes a 45 is nice, but I can put a second round in the target faster with a 9....and when they tell you about stopping/knock down power....a 22 has that....it's shot placement....PRACTICE!

Brmorganjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those that have a CCL...ya'll will know what I'm saying here....don't do it because you think it's COOL! It starts with deciding what you will wear in the morning, Police will walk up to you in public places and almost whisper..."Do you have your permit?"...They are trained to look for concealed weapons...and recognize a threat..that why they walk'd up to you instead of drawing their weapon....you'll get use to that....practice shot placement at the range...practice draw from concealed and aim (with the gun empty) at home, it does take practice to unconceal and draw and put a shot on target quickly...I used a light switch on the wall, it's roughly the heart....

It was said above...DO NOT put off thinking about if you could take a life in a bad situation...that hesitation could cost you yours.....a man with a knife in hand at 20 feet can be on you before you can pull your weapon...stay alert of your surroundings....even today I still prefer to sit in a restaurant with my back to a wall and facing the doors....

Take it from someone who's been through it....IT'S NOT LIKE THE MOVIES.....practice will make it instinctive....but even if you are lucky enough to not have to pull the trigger....a few minutes after you will be scared shitless as the thoughts of what could have happened run through your mind.....

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I currently carry a Bersa 380 but I'm looking to replace it. I like the size and how it shoots but it's heavier than I would like and doesn't fit my hand very well.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That Bodyguard is real nice, as is the Ruger LCP. I have a Hogue rubber grip on my LCP. Makes it a whole lot nicer to shoot by taking out some of the bite in a small frame pistol. I also have the Crimson Trace laser on mine. Sight picture is so small on these pocket pistols that the lasers can really help with target acquisition. Good luck shopping.

Brmorganjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And that is the right attitude about it....

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glock 36 .45 for me most every day or the PPK .380. Wife carries the Bersa .380. I just bought her a CC purse a few days ago to give her more options.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had a CHL for many years and have been shooting since a boy through the USMC and still do. I also like to reload my own ammunition and I am tinkering with learning about being a gun smith. I have several pistols including a glock .40, SM1911 PD (my fav), a 380 (compact) and a SM38 special. I also have several shotguns and rifles. My father was a big influence in my life including the joy of shooting and re-loading. The Corps is where I feel in love with the 1911s. They just just shoot no matter what they will stop whatever you hit, period. I lived in a town here in GA for awhile (Kennesaw) that has made national news in the past because they have a law that you have to own a weapon. This town is fours times the size it was 20 years ago and the crime rate (unadjusted) is lower. Can you guess why? I agree that you must practice but the most important factor is if you pull a gun you better be ready to use it. There is no going back. It is a lot different in a real life situation than on a range. Even if something happens at night you will be suprised how difficult it is to the simplest things. Be prepared, be aware, practice and if possible always avoid a situation. Just my two cents! Enjoy!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone who has a CHL and is serious about Personal Protection. . . . I think you should strongly consider the USCCA.

https://www.facebook.com/USCCA?ref=br_tf

Sometimes being "proven innocent" can get expensive.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is it they say, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. . . . . ?

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol! I think that's a lyric from ice cube early 80's. Album Americas most wanted!

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... yes a 45 is nice, but I can put a second round in the target faster with a 9....and when they tell you about stopping/knock down power....a 22 has that....it's shot placement....PRACTICE!
This how I look at it as well. Love my .45, but more accurate and quicker with the 9mm.

Carry gun is a S&W Shield 9mm in a Remora IWB holster (love it).
All time favorite pistol is my 1972 Browning Hi-Power 9mm that has a Armoloy

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good for you....I carry a Ruger LCP 380 with crimson trace laser in a wallet holster when I'm wearing something that would make it hard to conceal. A Taurus Slim PT740 IWB holster when I have a long shirt. All with HydroShock ammo.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20170317_125627.jpg

Spent another two hours and 150 shots at the range today in search of a carry pistol,

I had the intent of either the springfield XDS or Glock 43

I ended up liking the MP 9 Shield (probably felt best), Ruger LC9 (felt and shot well for the price) and the best target grouping, easiest shooting was Sig 938,

Still undetermined,

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 52779

Spent another two hours and 150 shots at the range today in search of a carry pistol,

I had the intent of either the springfield XDS or Glock 43

I ended up liking the MP 9 Shield (probably felt best), Ruger LC9 (felt and shot well for the price) and the best target grouping, easiest shooting was Sig 938,

Still undetermined,
Not a stockholder or anything (actually, I used to be come to think of it...) but one thing to consider with Ruger is their customer service. I don't recall ever hearing of a bad customer experience with them. There is no written warranty. You just call them up, tell them what's wrong, and they fix or replace it. It could be two years from now or it could be 20 years from now.

I heard tell of a guy who purchased a 2nd-hand Ruger revolver cheap. The thing was in bad shape. He called Ruger in search of some replacement parts and they said "Send it in and we'll look at it."

The next call he got was "There's bad news and there's good news." The bad news was that the pistol was junk. They didn't want anyone to ever fire it again. The good news was that they were sending him a brand new one - no charge - and gave him a choice of two different models.

This is but one of multiple, similar stories I've heard about Ruger.