• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connex will NOT boot ?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
UPDATE ! This story just gets stranger and stranger . So , the day before that I first started having "Connext will not boot " issues , I had taken the SD map card out of the unit and updated on Navionics web site. The update went what appeared to be normal with a "successful" update message after a reasonable period of time, Fast forward to post #1 of this thread. I called the dealer the day after starting this thread and they met me at the lake (100 miles from home) and towed the boat back to their dealership. I fully expected they would end up sending the unit to Yamaha for repair or replacement and I would be without the boat for weeks , maybe months ? I took the SD map card out of the unit again for safe keeping. Two days later the dealer told me they had resolved the problem. They were not sure what the issue was but suspected loose connections on the battery post ?? I traveled to the dealership and together we successfully switched the battery mains on/off a half dozed times and the Connext started properly each time in "Float "mode. SD card was not in the slot , it was still at my house. I towed the boat home Saturday morning and this morning (Sunday) put the SD map card back in and the wife and I headed to the lake . I backed the trailer/boat down the ramp with her at the helm of the boat. As I was about to pull back up the ramp , she is yelling at me " Connext will not start" !! OH SH** !! I park the Tahoe with trailer still attached and head for the ramp. Both engines running fine but only the "Yamaha , Revs your Heart" splash screen. Then the light went on. We shut it down , flipped the main battery switches off , and I crawled in the storage area on the bow side of the helm. Pulled the SD Navionics card out of its slot . Went back and turned on the start battery main switch , then the house battery main switch. Splash screen was displayed for about 30 seconds , the blower and bilge kicked in and then the screen went to "Float" mode. Don't know what the map card could possible have to do with Connext start up BUT pretty convincing proof to me ??

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
UPDATE ! This story just gets stranger and stranger . So , the day before that I first started having "Connext will not boot " issues , I had taken the SD map card out of the unit and updated on Navionics web site. The update went what appeared to be normal with a "successful" update message after a reasonable period of time, Fast forward to post #1 of this thread. I called the dealer the day after starting this thread and they met me at the lake (100 miles from home) and towed the boat back to their dealership. I fully expected they would end up sending the unit to Yamaha for repair or replacement and I would be without the boat for weeks , maybe months ? I took the SD map card out of the unit again for safe keeping. Two days later the dealer told me they had resolved the problem. They were not sure what the issue was but suspected loose connections on the battery post ?? I traveled to the dealership and together we successfully switched the battery mains on/off a half dozed times and the Connext started properly each time in "Float "mode. SD card was not in the slot , it was still at my house. I towed the boat home Saturday morning and this morning (Sunday) put the SD map card back in and the wife and I headed to the lake . I backed the trailer/boat down the ramp with her at the helm of the boat. As I was about to pull back up the ramp , she is yelling at me " Connext will not start" !! OH SH** !! I park the Tahoe with trailer still attached and head for the ramp. Both engines running fine but only the "Yamaha , Revs your Heart" splash screen. Then the light went on. We shut it down , flipped the main battery switches off , and I crawled in the storage area on the bow side of the helm. Pulled the SD Navionics card out of its slot . Went back and turned on the start battery main switch , then the house battery main switch. Splash screen was displayed for about 30 seconds , the blower and bilge kicked in and then the screen went to "Float" mode. Don't know what the map card could possible have to do with Connext start up BUT pretty convincing proof to me ??
Sounds like the card had a bad format on it / bad data sector. When Connext was asking "is there a SD card?" the card was coming back with incomplete data and Connext was halting on that. Good to know!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I didn't know the connext had a sd card.great you found the issue.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes , the 12" Connext (starting 2018 I think on the E series models) comes with a micro SD card in the unit . It also includes 1 year of NC map data updates on Navionics using their "Chart Installer" app.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Don't know what the map card could possible have to do with Connext start up BUT pretty convincing proof to me ??
Do your maps works ok without the card installed? I read that someone on here did the updates and found without the card installed the Connext still had all the updated map data. I think the card is only read to check for new data? Maybe you have corruption like @anmut said. Maybe try doing another update on the card and see if that fixes it?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do your maps works ok without the card installed? I read that someone on here did the updates and found without the card installed the Connext still had all the updated map data. I think the card is only read to check for new data? Maybe you have corruption like @anmut said. Maybe try doing another update on the card and see if that fixes it?
No, the map screen will not display without the card. If you press the onscreen icon without card inserted it just says "No Card Found" I did reach out to Navionics yesterday and they confirmed that a bad block or sector on the micro SD card could cause this issue. They were very helpful in giving me step by step instructions on erasing the card , reformatting , then loading all fresh data. It will be later this week / weekend before I can get back to the boat for final testing.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ok, please keep us posted on the results.