• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Connext bluetooth issue

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Connext just started acting up recently. When I select bluetooth, it goes to the bluetooth screen for 1 second then returns to the media screen before I can select a paired bluetooth device.

Anyone else experience this? Essentially, I cant get the bluetooth option to work anymore.

2016 242 Limited S

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Connext just started acting up recently. When I select bluetooth, it goes to the bluetooth screen for 1 second then returns to the media screen before I can select a paired bluetooth device.

Anyone else experience this? Essentially, I cant get the bluetooth option to work anymore.

2016 242 Limited S
Posts like that make me nervous, Yamaha support of Connext issues has been, say, soft.
I have not had that particular issue, but I do have issues with Connext BT when turning the lights on. Most OEM lights are LEDs, except for the bow nav, and maybe those do not play nice with the BT? Usually resolve-able by rebooting everything, but it can be super annoying.

The good news is, there are much better BT options available at totally bargain prices, and splicing them into the system is generally pretty easy.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Step 1: Forget/delete the PA4A bluetooth pair on the host device (phone, tablet, etc).

Step 2: Delete all paired devices on Connext then power cycle Connext (turn off keys then back on.

Step 3: Repair host device to Connext.

I have found this needed a couple of times in 2 years not only with Connext but also my plantronics bluetooth office headset. The culprit is likely bluetooth chipset memory corruption in certain bluetooth chipsets.

Note that in this case that Connext does not have bluetooth but is rather the display for the Polk head unit that does have bluetooth. If the above steps don’t work another culprit could be low battery voltage causing the hardwired canbus communication between Connext and the Polk head unit to fail. The bluetooth in the polk head unit is poor so I use the usb connection on the dash with my phone in a holder. Charges phone and delivers more bandwidth to the head unit which gives overall better sound quality and gain.

Perhaps this should be added to the FAQ.

virtualg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

2016 242 Limited S
Hi,

Reviving this old thread.

I just started having this same exact issue you described.

Did you get it resolved? If so, how?

I have a 2015 Limited with the Polk System.

Thanks

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@virtualg My issue was resolved by turning bluetooth “on” via the “remote” head on the swim platform. Somehow it got turned to off. Another member sent me the manual and it was described in the manual how to access that particular option.

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@virtualg In the menu, once you turn the knob to show “Bluetooth”, you need to push the knob in to select it to turn on. Again this is done from the stern control, not via the connext display.

virtualg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply, and for the tip.

It's weird that it worked fine for 3 years, and just did it the first time this weekend.

Thanks again!

Pullen724

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine was the same way.... worked fine then all of a sudden quit but since changing the settings back to ON, havent had a problem since.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That rear remote / controller maybe ok for some light water splashing but not getting pounded by waves especially salt water. The knob was completely frozen and I was having issues clearing out The Bluetooth saved devices from the previous owner. Maybe the Bluetooth receiver is in that remote, mine has been replaced under warranty and relocated into the port cabin. The MARC200 was installed on the swim deck higher up on the next tier with a table mount sealed and backed with plywood and silicone to cover the old hole.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've had a similar issue the past two weekends on the boat. Can listen via bluetooth but not through the USB connection, and sometimes the head unit can't find a device over bluetooth at all. Since this happened over two weekends, and my boat has been in the lake with the batteries on since mid-tune, I did a complete system restart - turn the key off, turn off batteries, wait 3-4 minutes, then reverse the process.

That seemed to correct the issue and after that it worked normally.

Give it a try...it only takes about 5 minutes to force it to restart the system.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m also having an issue with my 16 242X connecting to Bluetooth. ISB connection works fine. This started last year and I would reset the main power and that would work but now nothing seems to work. As mentioned from @Mainah I deleted the Bluetooth on on my phone but how do I delete the stored Bluetooth devices? Also, my boat’s water temp is 108*...water is warm this year but that’s about 30* off!!
Thanks!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think pressing and holding deletes bluetooth devices. I also recommend disconnecting the swim deck remote as a first step in trouble shooting on models with the PA4A.

The temp reading comes from the airmar transducer assembly. It could be that the unit is dirty between it and the the through hull sleeve. It can be removed (Don’t do this on the water as removing creates a giant hole on the bottom of the hull). The components inside the assembly may have also gone bad such as the thermistor. Yamaha charges a mint for the transducer and it is only made in this flavor for Yamaha.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think pressing and holding deletes bluetooth devices. I also recommend disconnecting the swim deck remote as a first step in trouble shooting on models with the PA4A.

The temp reading comes from the airmar transducer assembly. It could be that the unit is dirty between it and the the through hull sleeve. It can be removed (Don’t do this on the water as removing creates a giant hole on the bottom of the hull). The components inside the assembly may have also gone bad such as the thermistor. Yamaha charges a mint for the transducer and it is only made in this flavor for Yamaha.
I did try holding it down to no avail. I did notice the “Pair” button stay as pair. Should be DCN normally. It’s almost like it’s stuck in pair mode?
Good info on the transducer. I’ll check into it this fall.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can download the Polk PA4A manual online. It has instructions on how to delete Bluetooth devices using the remote. I still recommend trying to disconnect the remote by carefully removing the trim ring, pulling out the remote, and unplugging the wire. I had two of those remotes fail and cause issues. They don’t seem to like surfing.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can download the Polk PA4A manual online. It has instructions on how to delete Bluetooth devices using the remote. I still recommend trying to disconnect the remote by carefully removing the trim ring, pulling out the remote, and unplugging the wire. I had two of those remotes fail and cause issues. They don’t seem to like surfing.
Ok I’ll remove that next. Thanks man!

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see that this is an old discussion but it struck me today while out on the water. I’ve had the boat for 5 years now and this was the first time I’ve ever experienced this.

The fix was listed across several different posts so I’ll summarize:

Go to the stereo controller at the rear of the boat and hold the “Menu” button and turn the volume knob until the Bluetooth option appears. Toggle the BT to “On”

I found the instructions here (page 22)