• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering a Tacoma as a Tow Vehicle......Thoughts??

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Think I would want the park feature of an automatic for parking on a ramp
I agree 100%
I trust a parking paul inside a transmission much more than the compression of an engine to hold my truck, trailer, and boat on a ramp.
I always put my truck into 4x4 so that when the parking brake on and trans in park, the front wheels will always keep the truck locked on dry land no matter how far my rear wheels are on a wet slimy ramp

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had not considered the parking on the ramp issue. However I have always just used the parking brake, put transmission in park, and left it running (in case evasive maneuvers are needed). That is a good point!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always leave my truck running on the ramp. Im never there longer than a few minutes.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Chevy COlorado is offered with a diesel duramax, correct? That would be my choice.

--

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well.....That was an easy decision.....Pass on the Tacoma. It seems like a nice truck. The exterior styling isn't the best, but it's OK. The engine and transmission reviews aren't spectacular, some good some bad. I was going to get a manual transmission anyway, but there aren't any of those in a 500 mile radius according to the dealer, so I would have to special order. The biggest problem was the seating position. I'm 6'2" tall with a 36" inseam and with the seat all the way back my knees were only about 1/2-3/4" away from the steering wheel. The wheel was almost a full arms length away at that point and it wouldn't telescope back or high enough. Also once seated at that location I had to physically lean forward to reach ANYTHING on the dash. The interior just simply isn't for me.......it was a quick and easy decision there.

So I drove around the corner to the Chevy/GMC dealer and drove a demo Colorado they had on the lot. It's seating position was much more favorable, and the interior in general seemed nicer. It's a VERY similar engine to the Tacoma at 3.6L and 308hp/275tq. It drove very similar as well. at $35k for a "demo model" it had a LOT more features than the Tacoma at $31k. I liked the Colorado quite a bit more, but I don't think I'll be getting it either. After sitting in two of them I think I'm just too large of a person to really be comfortable in a mid-size pickup again. Granted my SS isn't much larger on the inside, I really don't want to get into something smaller.

It was also VERY obvious, VERY quickly that I've been spoiled by the 400hp/400tq of my LS2 powered SS. These little trucks felt VERY underpowered. I'm sure they're just fine in actual usage and driving, but hopping out of a stout V8 powered truck into a marginally powered V6 truck was somewhat eye opening.

The search continues. Friend of mine suggested a '14+ Dodge Durango, and even located one somewhat locally for $31k with 45k miles on it. There is also a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with EcoDiesel engine) that I want to go look at tomorrow. It shows some promise financially as the fuel savings help offset the increased purchase price. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as I figure out what to buy.
IMG_0600.JPG Ended up trading up from the Tacoma to the tundra due to just wanting more room... sure MPG takes a hit but there is soooo much room in that thing....

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Chevy COlorado is offered with a diesel duramax, correct? That would be my choice.

--
It is, but quickly climbs north of $40k for that trim level. I found a couple used ones, but they appear to be holding value really well and are still in the mid $30's. I'll probably still go back and drive one to see what they are like.

I just can't get over how expensive vehicles are in general. Even the economy cars feel expensive. Saw a Cruze hatchback last night that was $28k. I remember buying my 2003 GMC Yukon with 36k miles for $18k......guess those days are gone with presence of cheap fuel.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a fence rider......I can't make a decision to save my butt......

Have 2 friends coming over on Saturday to do the below list of work on my SS......If it goes well I'll have it aligned on Monday, if it goes poorly, I'll have more motivation to move on to the next truck.

Front Left Suspension
Lower Control Arm
Rebuild Strut with Bumpstop
Grease Ball Joints
Grease Upper Bushings
Check steering Rack bolts for tightness
Front Right Suspension
Lower Control Arm
Replace Upper Ball Joint
Grease Ball Joints
Grease Upper Bushings
Rebuild Strut with Bumpstop
Check steering Rack bolts for tightness
Fluid Changes
Change Oil and Filter
Check/Fill Front Differential
Check/Fill Rear Differential
Check/Fill Transfer Case
Engine/Under hood
Replace (8) Sparkplugs
Replace Passenger Manifold Gasket
Replace Driver Manifold Gasket
Overall Body
Clean mirror turn signal lenses
Replace Left Rear Signal bulbs

I have all the parts in hand, just need the labor to get it done. I keep telling myself "Maintenance is cheaper than a payment", but wow I'm tired of working on this thing!

NHboater693

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would stay away from the Tacoma (as a former Tacoma owner) and here is why. I had an 09 with the 4.0V6 crew cab with 4wd auto. It was too small on the inside, the fuel economy was pretty poor, and it struggled to tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer (single axle) rated for 3,500lbs. For the cost new, buy a full sized whatever manufacturer you like and don't look back. You won't regret it. Besides, as many have said - if you get a bigger boat you'll probably want a bigger truck too.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel is a hauling beast. Starts and stops very well with a loaded AR240 trailer and vehicle. It's even going to tow our newest edition (Boat + Skis trailer) although it's maxed-out for that setup.
That said, it fits me well inside especially on long hauls (used it to go from Cali to Ohio to get the new trailer), rides VERY well and has averaged 26 MPG. While towing it's about 14-15 MPG.
Now THAT said, it's not got a lot of room inside for storage, and that bugs me. couple of cup holders, tiny center console and that's about it. I'm spoiled with the RAM (or probably any full-sized truck) center consoles with open areas and large cavernous arm rests. So we will be looking at the F-150 Eco-boost 3.5's. As far as holding value, yes it's true our unit appraised for $42k TRADE-IN value!!!! Granted, it's loaded, but still.

NHboater693

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel is a hauling beast. Starts and stops very well with a loaded AR240 trailer and vehicle. It's even going to tow our newest edition (Boat + Skis trailer) although it's maxed-out for that setup.
That said, it fits me well inside especially on long hauls (used it to go from Cali to Ohio to get the new trailer), rides VERY well and has averaged 26 MPG. While towing it's about 14-15 MPG.
Now THAT said, it's not got a lot of room inside for storage, and that bugs me. couple of cup holders, tiny center console and that's about it. I'm spoiled with the RAM (or probably any full-sized truck) center consoles with open areas and large cavernous arm rests. So we will be looking at the F-150 Eco-boost 3.5's. As far as holding value, yes it's true our unit appraised for $42k TRADE-IN value!!!! Granted, it's loaded, but still.
If you have the Eco diesel in the JGC and like it, why not opt for the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. I had a 2014 and really enjoyed it - tons of torque and great MPGs even while towing.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Jeep GC EcoDiesel is on our short list of potential replacement vehicles. Interesting enough it almost covers the additional cost of ownership with fuel savings. I think thats only because the SS gets such crappy mileage (12.5mpg daily and about 12mpg towing). I'm sure that has nothing to do with my heavy right foot and 400hp on tap, but it is what it is.

Running all the numbers it's really hard to justify a $30k tow vehicle for me. Already having the SS and the Traverse has spoiled me as the Traverse was only $22k when we bought it, and I stole the SS for $10k last year. The Traverse was the most expensive vehicle I had ever bought until we picked up the boat this year. $30k for a used vehicle just feels staggeringly high to me. I can't imagine you guys that are plunking down $50k-$60k for these giant diesel pickups. They sure are nice, but wow they're spendy!

SOOOO....I'm back to maintenance mode on the SS. It's not a bad truck just needs some TLC, and I got frustrated at it because a good chunk of stuff hit all at once. With the work done this weekend (and the alignment this morning), hopefully I can just drive it for awhile and not be so agitated with it. I'm hoping a little bit of patience will help same me a big chunk of cash.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Tacoma and it seems to pull fine. (Auto Transmission) Bought the boat in New Orleans and towed it to Dallas, Texas. I set the cruise control at 80 MPH for the trip back and did not have any issues.
It's been in and out of the water here in DFW area 5 times thus far and no complaints.

Walt

IMG_4111 (1).jpg

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Jeep GC EcoDiesel is on our short list of potential replacement vehicles. Interesting enough it almost covers the additional cost of ownership with fuel savings. I think thats only because the SS gets such crappy mileage (12.5mpg daily and about 12mpg towing). I'm sure that has nothing to do with my heavy right foot and 400hp on tap, but it is what it is.

Running all the numbers it's really hard to justify a $30k tow vehicle for me. Already having the SS and the Traverse has spoiled me as the Traverse was only $22k when we bought it, and I stole the SS for $10k last year. The Traverse was the most expensive vehicle I had ever bought until we picked up the boat this year. $30k for a used vehicle just feels staggeringly high to me. I can't imagine you guys that are plunking down $50k-$60k for these giant diesel pickups. They sure are nice, but wow they're spendy!

SOOOO....I'm back to maintenance mode on the SS. It's not a bad truck just needs some TLC, and I got frustrated at it because a good chunk of stuff hit all at once. With the work done this weekend (and the alignment this morning), hopefully I can just drive it for awhile and not be so agitated with it. I'm hoping a little bit of patience will help same me a big chunk of cash.
We bought (2) fully loaded 2016 2500 HD Diesels last year, it was expensive, but it's part of our 15-20 year plan since these diesels last a long time and still hold their value better than gassers. I tow 10,500 Lb's with my tractor/equipment trailer, we tow our 35 ft travel trailer, and our 2008 SX230 HO - pulls like a dream anything we put behind these trucks.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought (2) fully loaded 2016 2500 HD Diesels last year, it was expensive, but it's part of our 15-20 year plan since these diesels last a long time and still hold their value better than gassers. I tow 10,500 Lb's with my tractor/equipment trailer, we tow our 35 ft travel trailer, and our 2008 SX230 HO - pulls like a dream anything we put behind these trucks.
No doubt those are some nice trucks, and if you have the need and the cash then I don't want to discount that at any level. They're just so damn expensive now. I can't imagine buying two at once! I bet you spent more on those than I did on my first house!

Good friend and neighbor has a '16 Chevy 2500HD LTZ it's a really nice truck, but like you he uses it for work and needs the capacity and capability of that vehicle. He gets a truck allowance from work as well which helps offset the price of the vehicle.

In general cars feel much more expensive now than they used to be. I can remember a standing rule shortly after I graduated high school not that long ago ('98).....$500 if it doesn't run and $1k if it did. I bought 5 or 6 cars with this rule, fixed them up and flipped them. Even paid rent a couple times that way! I was surfing craigslist the other day and even the rattiest POS-mobiles seem to be going for $3k+ now. I'm sure inflation plays into that at some level, but good grief what happened to cheap cars? Can you even buy a new car under $10k anymore? I think there are some under $15k, but I can't think of any that are under $10k new. I bought a medium optioned '12 Ford Focus Se brand new in '12. It stickered for $21k I think, but got it much less because it had sat on the lot for months and was the only manual transmission in 100's of miles.

Anyway....cars and trucks are too expensive nowadays.....that's all :D

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No doubt those are some nice trucks, and if you have the need and the cash then I don't want to discount that at any level. They're just so damn expensive now. I can't imagine buying two at once! I bet you spent more on those than I did on my first house!

Good friend and neighbor has a '16 Chevy 2500HD LTZ it's a really nice truck, but like you he uses it for work and needs the capacity and capability of that vehicle. He gets a truck allowance from work as well which helps offset the price of the vehicle.

In general cars feel much more expensive now than they used to be. I can remember a standing rule shortly after I graduated high school not that long ago ('98).....$500 if it doesn't run and $1k if it did. I bought 5 or 6 cars with this rule, fixed them up and flipped them. Even paid rent a couple times that way! I was surfing craigslist the other day and even the rattiest POS-mobiles seem to be going for $3k+ now. I'm sure inflation plays into that at some level, but good grief what happened to cheap cars? Can you even buy a new car under $10k anymore? I think there are some under $15k, but I can't think of any that are under $10k new. I bought a medium optioned '12 Ford Focus Se brand new in '12. It stickered for $21k I think, but got it much less because it had sat on the lot for months and was the only manual transmission in 100's of miles.

Anyway....cars and trucks are too expensive nowadays.....that's all :D
Fortunately I get vehicles from our Chevrolet Dealer way below invoice, a few hundred bucks profit, they are one of my customers with my telecommunications business and I am friends with several managers as well as the owner, 25 year relationship with them. Even though buying two diesels and the z06 last year we spent over 200K, it was a big ouch. We make great money, but the plan for the diesels is they will last us probably 15-20 years or more and they will still hold a decent value, now the Corvette, that's purely a toy/indulgence that gives me my need for speed fix.

You can pick up used Diesels for a good price on Craigslist, my Son has a late 90's Super Duty Diesel with the 7.3L that he picked up for around 12K a few years ago, my buddy bought a nice Duramax from his Boss for 15K, had about 130K miles on it, but they run damn near forever.

Last edited:

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:D:D:D:D:D:D
Well.....That was an easy decision.....Pass on the Tacoma. It seems like a nice truck. The exterior styling isn't the best, but it's OK. The engine and transmission reviews aren't spectacular, some good some bad. I was going to get a manual transmission anyway, but there aren't any of those in a 500 mile radius according to the dealer, so I would have to special order. The biggest problem was the seating position. I'm 6'2" tall with a 36" inseam and with the seat all the way back my knees were only about 1/2-3/4" away from the steering wheel. The wheel was almost a full arms length away at that point and it wouldn't telescope back or high enough. Also once seated at that location I had to physically lean forward to reach ANYTHING on the dash. The interior just simply isn't for me.......it was a quick and easy decision there.

So I drove around the corner to the Chevy/GMC dealer and drove a demo Colorado they had on the lot. It's seating position was much more favorable, and the interior in general seemed nicer. It's a VERY similar engine to the Tacoma at 3.6L and 308hp/275tq. It drove very similar as well. at $35k for a "demo model" it had a LOT more features than the Tacoma at $31k. I liked the Colorado quite a bit more, but I don't think I'll be getting it either. After sitting in two of them I think I'm just too large of a person to really be comfortable in a mid-size pickup again. Granted my SS isn't much larger on the inside, I really don't want to get into something smaller.

It was also VERY obvious, VERY quickly that I've been spoiled by the 400hp/400tq of my LS2 powered SS. These little trucks felt VERY underpowered. I'm sure they're just fine in actual usage and driving, but hopping out of a stout V8 powered truck into a marginally powered V6 truck was somewhat eye opening.

The search continues. Friend of mine suggested a '14+ Dodge Durango, and even located one somewhat locally for $31k with 45k miles on it. There is also a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with EcoDiesel engine) that I want to go look at tomorrow. It shows some promise financially as the fuel savings help offset the increased purchase price. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as I figure out what to buy.
If you are set on a truck look at the F150 with the Ecoboost. If you can wait until the 18's come out I would go with the revised 2.7 Ecoboost. If your like me and can't wait that long go with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed. The 2.7 gets a extra 25lbs of torque for 18 (new port injection to help longevity) and the 10 speed. The 2.7 has 325 horsepower and 400 torque for 18. The current 3.5 Ecoboost has already been revised (with port injection) 375 horsepower and 470 torque. The ten speed has really improved mpg when highway driving. I had a 14 with the 5.0 and miss the sound but would never go back unless they make a 5.0 Ecoboost.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
:D:D:D:D:D:D
If you are set on a truck look at the F150 with the Ecoboost. If you can wait until the 18's come out I would go with the revised 2.7 Ecoboost. If your like me and can't wait that long go with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed. The 2.7 gets a extra 25lbs of torque for 18 (new port injection to help longevity) and the 10 speed. The 2.7 has 325 horsepower and 400 torque for 18. The current 3.5 Ecoboost has already been revised (with port injection) 375 horsepower and 470 torque. The ten speed has really improved mpg when highway driving. I had a 14 with the 5.0 and miss the sound but would never go back unless they make a 5.0 Ecoboost.
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm waiting for a bit on a new tow vehicle at this point. Just put a little cash into the SS and it seems to have helped it some. Well, more appropriately, helps me be not quite so pissed off at it anyway.

Have a few friends with F150's and everyone seems to like them.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love the full size SUVs EXCEPT for the ~26 gallon gas tank that has me stopping every two hours for gas

Any full size SUV with a ~35 gallon tank?

Think about how long your tow is and how often you stop for gas

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the full size SUVs EXCEPT for the ~26 gallon gas tank that has me stopping every two hours for gas

Any full size SUV with a ~35 gallon tank?

Think about how long your tow is and how often you stop for gas
Good thought. I hand't really considered range in any of my looking. Our typical tow is ~40 miles either direction, with a couple tows a year in the 200mi range or so. Always within a stones throw of fuel as well.

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just 26 gallons here too and it does go quickly but the Turbo S pulls like a beast!

Walt

IMG_4280.jpg IMG_4281.jpg