• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering a Tacoma as a Tow Vehicle......Thoughts??

BobbyP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I've been towing with the same 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4.0. Not the best but does the trick.

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Tacoma and it seems to pull fine. (Auto Transmission) Bought the boat in New Orleans and towed it to Dallas, Texas. I set the cruise control at 80 MPH for the trip back and did not have any issues.
It's been in and out of the water here in DFW area 5 times thus far and no complaints.

Walt

View attachment 58802
what boat is that you are towing with the Tacoma? I have an 18 4door trd. Looking at the 212 or 242, 2014-2015 look to be only 300 pound difference. Any issue pulling up a ramp? I only have an 8 mile drive to the ramp from my house

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I ended up trading in the 2016 Tacoma for a 2017 Tundra. The Tacoma did a fine job towing however the Tundra feels much more stable and I think is a better platform simply because of it's size, either and additional power.

Walt

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ended up trading in the 2016 Tacoma for a 2017 Tundra. The Tacoma did a fine job towing however the Tundra feels much more stable and I think is a better platform simply because of it's size, either and additional power.

Walt
But you don’t think I’ll have a problem going up the ramp? Not trying to buy another truck as this one is paid off lol

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not at all. Plenty powerful enough for that. I upgraded to the Tundra for a bigger cab.

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Can’t beat a 14 242 limited s with 80 hrs for 35,000

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used to tow my 18 ft. Crownline with a Tacoma 4.0. Did ok. Now I have a Tundra and it does great with my 210. I tow it home (70 miles) maybe once a summer. The amount of room in the cab of Tundra is massive compared to my Tacoma.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Can’t beat a 14 242 limited s with 80 hrs for 35,000
That's a good deal on a nice boat.

It's also going to be right at your Tacoma's 6,400lb tow rating. Especially if you intend to take more than one person or any additional gear with you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 242's on a trailer ready for the water are around 6k lbs. Not much head room in the tow ratings there IMO.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 4.0 was a better lower end power engine and better at towing. The new 3.5(2016+)is not as good at pulling, its powerband is higher up the rpm range.

No replacement for displacement!

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a good deal on a nice boat.

It's also going to be right at your Tacoma's 6,400lb tow rating. Especially if you intend to take more than one person or any additional gear with you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 242's on a trailer ready for the water are around 6k lbs. Not much head room in the tow ratings there IMO.
from what I was able to find. The 14 242 is 3519 dry. 600 for. Trailer another 200 in gas and fluids, puts it at 4300. Towing capacity is 6800. It’s about 2 miles from storage to ramp pretty flat. Only worry I had is pulling up the ramp.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Problem is that I think your dry weight for a '14 242 on trailer is really 4869... 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S @ Top Speed

Gas is 300-350 lbs for 50 gallons of it.

Still doable for only 2 miles, but I would be careful. You are probably right below the limit with gas, stereo, etc.

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad Double Cab 4x4 v6. I have added a 3" lift with HD rear springs. Didn't really have to, but i did not want any squat. I have towed it 300 miles in one day was fine at 75 MPH. Mileage is about 13 MPG towing. Just like most all new truck with Electronic overdrive. You want to drive in Tow - haul mode. On a Tacome just shift to S5.
My previous truck was a Diesel 4x4 Ford F250. It towed amazing and got better mileage while towing. But other wise was just not a great truck. Too big for real offroading . Sucked parking at the local Walmart!Hollowing point launch.jpg

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad Double Cab 4x4 v6. I have added a 3" lift with HD rear springs. Didn't really have to, but i did not want any squat. I have towed it 300 miles in one day was fine at 75 MPH. Mileage is about 13 MPG towing. Just like most all new truck with Electronic overdrive. You want to drive in Tow - haul mode. On a Tacome just shift to S5.
My previous truck was a Diesel 4x4 Ford F250. It towed amazing and got better mileage while towing. But other wise was just not a great truck. Too big for real offroading . Sucked parking at the local Walmart!View attachment 116324
How much does your boat weigh? Do you ever have any issues pulling it up the ramp out of the water?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would a bigger truck be better, especially for long hauls?
2mi to the ramp, you'll be fine. 30+ miles a couple times a year, you're on the edge. 300+ mi tows on a regular basis, find something bigger.

A Tacoma is on the edge of the limit. The more variables you add to the equation (by adding distance) the lower you safety factor gets, and the faster your machine wears. Will it be instant failure? Nope. Will you need to decrease your service intervals to maintain acceptable life? Yes.

The 242LS is a pretty good sized boat for a midsized pickup. Nothing wrong with the truck, or the boat, just the way it is.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
from what I was able to find. The 14 242 is 3519 dry. 600 for. Trailer another 200 in gas and fluids, puts it at 4300. Towing capacity is 6800. It’s about 2 miles from storage to ramp pretty flat. Only worry I had is pulling up the ramp.
Trailer weighs closer to 1200+ pounds not 600. Your setup with fuel and gear will put you at the high end of your towing capacity. But it will be fine for short trips

I towed my ar240 with my 09 taco, while it did the job locally it wasn't ideal. I had the transmission modified with a shift kit to firm up the shifting. I used it to tow my 96 Four Winns 238 vista prior to my Yamaha for years with no issues. 1/2 hour trips
Your new gen taco wont have the same low end grunt that mine did but it should be fine for short trips

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Trailer weighs closer to 1200+ pounds not 600. Your setup with fuel and gear will put you at the high end of your towing capacity. But it will be fine for short trips

I towed my ar240 with my 09 taco, while it did the job locally it wasn't ideal. I had the transmission modified with a shift kit to firm up the shifting. I used it to tow my 96 Four Winns 238 vista prior to my Yamaha for years with no issues. 1/2 hour trips
Your new gen taco wont have the same low end grunt that mine did but it should be fine for short trips
242 is a big boat. Get a bigger truck

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
GFs family has a Tacoma, it struggled with a uhaul trailer and hills. Forget trying to tow a 24foot boat with it. Tacoma has truly turned into a crossover truck. OK its not as bad as a Ridgeline, but it's a lot less truck than they used to be.

motomandan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
GFs family has a Tacoma, it struggled with a uhaul trailer and hills. Forget trying to tow a 24foot boat with it. Tacoma has truly turned into a crossover truck. OK its not as bad as a Ridgeline, but it's a lot less truck than they used to be.
Did they have ECT engaged and Shifted into s5 so it didnt go in to electronic overdrive(tow mode on other brands)? Tows my FSH210 fine