• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Considering Yamaha Boat Purchase

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sounds great. I just found another 2015 AR912 asking $22k close to me.

The owner of 912 that I looked at yesterday said a few things that I was wondering about. First, he said that the wear ring needs replaced on jet motors every so many hours. He said that he replaced his and that the new version has a pvc ring that can be replaced much cheaper. Does that sound familiar? He also mention the speed on the boat being like 35-40, which I thought would be a little faster.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The speeds sound just a bit low for the 192, but there are lots of variables you have to consider, elevation, air temp, load, etc, and the dreaded heat soak....So depending on those factors you probably won't see much more out of the boat without some MODS, here is a link to a great thread for mods on the 192's.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went and looked at the 19’ boat today. It has some wear but looks to be in very good shape. Question for you owners: what’s the speed like on this boat? With 4 people or so and/or pulling a tube?
I'm on my phone and can't see if it's a 190 or 195. Here's some info on my 190.

4 adults and three large coolers got me 38-39mph at WOT. 4 adults and 4 kids with all the stuff for a day got me just under 38mph. Persons and gear in the bow really scrub the speed.

Put as many people as you want in the boat and you can easily get to 20-22mph for tubing, anything over that and you're endangering the tube riders IMO.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s very helpful, thank you.

So I have found a 2015 ar192 with 115 hours, added battery, replaced wear ring, sound system, etc.

I just found another 2015 ar192 with 50 hours that is bone stock. Nothing changed or added. I think it does come with some tow behind gear like tube and board.

Both owners are asking about $22k. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be the better choice? I’m hoping to get the price down a bit more for a purchase but want to see if there is a standout better option.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm on my phone and can't see if it's a 190 or 195. Here's some info on my 190.

4 adults and three large coolers got me 38-39mph at WOT. 4 adults and 4 kids with all the stuff for a day got me just under 38mph. Persons and gear in the bow really scrub the speed.

Put as many people as you want in the boat and you can easily get to 20-22mph for tubing, anything over that and you're endangering the tube riders IMO.
Does your 190 have the supercharged 1800cc engine? This 192 does.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is your boat. Go get it.

You won't look back. These boats are bulletproof. I understand our concern about 2 engines twice as many problems but this simply is not true. Single or twin, the boats will run forever. Just change the oil and plugs once a year. To put your mind at ease, I have a 2008 SX230, which I bought used off a forum, sight unseen for 23,900 in 2013. I could easily get 21k today for it, as it as a documented history outside this forum. Non eth gas receipts for every single trip. Routine maintenance. Indoor storage, etc etc etc. And I have not had ONE SINGLE ISSUE with the boat. I turn the key and go. Unfortunately, it is now the middle of August and I have yet to be out on the boat this summer. Kids go to college and move out and that is that. It just doesn't get used. If you have kids? Go get a boat. But buy your second boat first. Get a bigger one. And there are plenty out there for sale that were cared for properly. As I said in another post, I bought 2 Yamahas off the "other" forum before we moved to this forum. Sight unseen and water test not done. Mailed a check and shipped the boat. Crazy, right? But if you get a boat of this forum, owned by a CONTRIBUTING MEMBER, you will have no worrries. I know next spring if I put mine up for sale, it will be gone very quickly. And it will be 8 years old! (Mine was bought NEW by first owner as a dealer left over in 2011, so although a 2008, it was not put in service until 2011.) So go get one off this forum. Look at how much fun you will have!

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. Your point is well taken about boats being cared for by contributors. I will look at that one closely, for sure. NJ is a bit far for me and 2008 is older than I was wanting but I will definitely look closer.

In terms or value and reliability, would a 115hr boat with some upgrades be better than the same boat that’s bone stock with 50hrs and 1 year of warranty? Just trying to figure out what would be a better option in a scenario like that.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks. Your point is well taken about boats being cared for by contributors. I will look at that one closely, for sure. NJ is a bit far for me and 2008 is older than I was wanting but I will definitely look closer.

In terms or value and reliability, would a 115hr boat with some upgrades be better than the same boat that’s bone stock with 50hrs and 1 year of warranty? Just trying to figure out what would be a better option in a scenario like that.
Lower hours are not necessarily better. Depends on how well the boat is maintained. All things equal I’d lean towards the one with the upgrades. Especially if you can get further price reduction. They are likely to be equally reliable.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My '19 Ar195 is the best boat i have every owned. I came from pontoons and do not plan on going back until i am really old :). We bought ours in April and already have 50hrs on it. We are on the lake every chance we get. I like everything about it. The swim deck, power, comfort, the fact it fits in my garage, etc. I have had so many compliments on it, its unreal. Maintenance is super easy. We just finished a trip across lake Huron 13 miles from Cheboygan to Mackinac Island. It was unreal :) Good luck and happy boating!

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I think 23k is a steal for a 2015. If it’s in good shape. I’m likely selling my 2014 AR192 by next season and was really wanting to get more than that...

Power wise, as long as it all systems are functioning as they should you’ll be able to pull all the tubes you want with plenty of adults and loaded down coolers on board.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m still looking around to hopefully make a good decision.

How do you guys feel about the SX210 and the 212? I know the 212 is $$$ but just in case. I am finding some of the SX210’s out there but to get in the lower 20k’s the year of the boat seems to be in the 2008-2012 range. I know a guy that found a 2012 SX210 for $21k. Sounded pretty good to me but you guys would certainly know more.

Any opinions about those models being any better or worse than say the AR912?

On a side note, a boat I looked at had some white film on the bottom of the boat and the jet output. The owner said it was just river water stuff and would wash off. Does this throw any red flags or is it not a big deal?

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@djtech2k All the boats have pros/cons, just depends on how you want to use it, where you want to use it, what you have to pull it, and what your storage options are and what is your budget. If there was one perfect boat Yamaha would only make one model.
Definitely sounds like your budget is lower 20's, so just be patient until you find something that you feel good about and will make you happy. Boats are wants not needs, so buy what makes you happy.

Now as far as the boat with the "river water stuff". My opinion is if a seller is too lazy to even clean the boat when it's offered for sale then how well do you think they cared for it the rest of the time? If it washes right off then have the seller show you how easy it washes right off, my guess is it's caked on there pretty good and going to take a lot of work to get looking bright and shiny again. For reference my boat is a 2015 and in "river water stuff" all the time but was washed after every outing religiously. No white film here.
IMG_2787.jpg

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I bought my AR192 new in 2016. I mostly boat with my wife. For two adults it’s ideal. When we boat with our two adult sons it’s tight. Any more passengers and it becomes stressful. Power with 4 people is not a problem. Even 6 I have no issue. However, I do not enjoy it so much when there is a lot of boat traffic or chop. I rent a slip and needed better maneuverability around the docks. I suggest lateral thrusters and force vectors for better control no matter what size jet boat. Both my wife and I are looking to upgrade to a 24ft mainly for better handling of chop and accommodating more guest comfortably. I added a second battery and dual switch, lateral thrusters, thrust vectors. I boat on average once per week. And I live 5 minutes from marina.

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@djtech2k -- I was in the exact same boat (no pun intended) as you 2 years ago. I was looking at all the 20-25k Ar192s I could get my eyes on... BUT I URGE YOU, take a look around at what a used AR195 will cost you. Its a nice step up IMHO from an AR192 as they have addressed the intercooler issue and you get the 160mm pump vs 155mm pump on the 192.

At the end of the day we spent 32k out the door vs 24k, so yeah no matter how you slice it its more money.
Right now used 2017 AR195s are around 29-31k. Something to consider.

ON EDIT - I read back through the posts, if you hard line in the sand is low 20s, my only recommendation is to research the 1.8L timing chain issues and try to stay newer then when they fixed it. If I recall, I think 2016, here is a thread about it:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/1-8l-timing-chain-confirmation.15748/

Last edited:

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@djtech2k -- I was in the exact same boat (no pun intended) as you 2 years ago. I was looking at all the 20-25k Ar192s I could get my eyes on... BUT I URGE YOU, take a look around at what a used AR195 will cost you. Its a nice step up IMHO from an AR192 as they have addressed the intercooler issue and you get the 160mm pump vs 155mm pump on the 192.

At the end of the day we spent 32k out the door vs 24k, so yeah no matter how you slice it its more money.
Right now used 2017 AR195s are around 29-31k. Something to consider.

ON EDIT - I read back through the posts, if you hard line in the sand is low 20s, my only recommendation is to research the 1.8L timing chain issues and try to stay newer then when they fixed it. If I recall, I think 2016, here is a thread about it:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/1-8l-timing-chain-confirmation.15748/
Thank You.

I have not necessarily locked my budget in, but of course would rather not spend money that I don't have to. I think its obvious that I am still trying to figure all this out and I do not know exactly how much I can use the boat since it will be an adjustment to get used to.

Almost everything I have looked at is older than 2016, so are you saying that I would be better off with the smaller 1050cc motor in twin configuration?

At this point, if I go with a 19', the 192 would be my minimum and probably not older than 2014 or 2015. If I go with 21' or bigger, then I have looked at stuff as old as 2008 and as new as 2013. I am not sure if the twin 1050cc motors is better or worse than the single 1800cc motor. The more I see the 212 series, the more I like it, but I cannot find one reasonably newer for less than $31k. I found a 2008 with 75hours for $21k, and they may take less, but I am 99% sure its been a saltwater boat. That always scares me. I also just saw a 2012 212SS for $31k.

I am not 100% locked in on the budget, but its certainly a concern. If I could get something that looks amazing for a few more thousand, then I'd really consider it, but otherwise I have been looking primarily looking for things that I could likely buy in the low 20's range. When I do searches, I have been using like $32k as my search limit, just in case. I do not plan to spend $32k, but I figure that after negotiating that may get me into the high 20's for a cash offer. I'd rather spend 20k, but a really great deal could convince me to spend a little more. LOL

Last edited:

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, well as my research continues I have a couple new questions for you pros.

The more I look, the more I like the 212 series. Now I know that my price range will have to jump up to get into one of those, but I want to get some feedback about this before I seriously consider it.

Is there anything that I need to know about the 212 series that should make me look away? I have found a few 212SS and 212X in the 2012-2014 year range and they are asking like $31k-$32k. I see they have the twin 1800cc motors, so more power is obvious. They are also 21' boats obviously. Is there anything I should know, good or bad, about these model boats? I am very unlikely to pay $30k+ for anything, at least that's my thought right now, especially since it'll be my first boat purchase. My kids are now College age, so no smaller kids that belong to me. But I can't help but wonder if I could get into a 212 for a cash price in the 20's, should I jump on it, or should I stick with less boat for less money.

So far, I have found ~2015 AR192's and ~2012 SX210's in the low $20's asking price. Now I am asking myself if for some reason I could get into a 2012-2014 model 212 for a few thousand more, am I crazy to consider it?

Thanks for all the guidance so far. I know I have been all over the place and have tons of questions. I am learning a lot and really trying to make a smart decision on this. Its certainly a big one.

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Is there anything that I need to know about the 212 series that should make me look away? I have found a few 212SS and 212X in the 2012-2014 year range and they are asking like $31k-$32k. I see they have the twin 1800cc motors, so more power is obvious. They are also 21' boats obviously. Is there anything I should know, good or bad, about these model boats?
My only comment about the 212 with twin 1.8s - Fast fast fast. Boattest has that boat at 56mph topend. Faster than the 195 models. :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My only comment about the 212 with twin 1.8s - Fast fast fast. Boattest has that boat at 56mph topend. Faster than the 195 models. :)
And no premium fuel to go that fast. Although I'm curious which drinks fuel faster, two 1.8's or a single supercharged 1.8.

Math says a single 1.8 at 15psi boost should use the same fuel as two single 1.8's at 0psi. Curious what real world results are like. Hard to compare apples to apples since a 212X is going to be heavier with more boat in the water than a single 195.

If I had the space to store a 212X on site (I just need to raise the garage header really), I would already be shopping :D.

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length