• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cop pulls a gun on a Yamaha jetboat owner!!??

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm. I am guessing there is more to the story. Some history. Warrants. Something.

It did seem a bit aggressive for the officer to pull his gun from his holster... but then the guy filming was being verbally belligerent & if he attacked, the LEO would have had very, very little time to react & defend himself.

Re: the cop eyeballing him & the guy cellphone filming back? They were both in public, on the front yard and in the street where there is no expectation of privacy, both had the right to film as far as I know.

Interesting.

LEOs on the board have any comments?

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The person recording it is a member here, but hasn't been here for a while. Seems there is more to the story.

Last edited:

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not defending the cop but we really need to know what the call was and why he was there. This is not a witch hunt and the video does not tell the whole story.

I am not a cop nor do I sympathize with power abusers. (See my sig)

We have to get out of this business of judging situations without all of the facts. This is why we have a court system. Does it work all the time? No, but its still better than making a judgement from a 2 min video clip.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Being an ex LEO I can say that what the men and women face these days with everyone and their brother wanting to catch them in an opportunity for their 15 min of fame makes that job something I would no longer want to do. Imagine if every corner you turned you had someone filming while another tried to bait you out. Now with the film guy having his had in his pocket and refusing to follow the officers request to remove it (for his safety and the officers) I personally feel the gun being drawn to low ready was warranted. I would have and did the same thing on many occasions. The only guy who wins in a quick draw situation is the first one with his weapon out, you have to remember that. Add to the extra scrutiny etc. it is only going to get more intense as people stop respecting all LEO's and the position they hold to catch their 15 min of fame. No matter where you go, no matter who they are, there will always be bad apples that slip through the cracks in anything, today people are using that to game fame and notoriety at the expense of some really good people on both sides of the uniform. It is very sad...

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a link to the original YouTube video.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting, but there are some details unknown like why the videographer felt threatened by a police patrol on his street.... I welcome it at my house. What has that police department done to the guy and his family? That's what we need to know.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting, but there are some details unknown like why the videographer felt threatened by a police patrol on his street.... I welcome it at my house. What has that police department done to the guy and his family? That's what we need to know.
Exactly!

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree there must be more to this some history and even though I don't have to I am still going to comply with the request to take my hand out of my pocket

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah there's some history there... The guys says "you've done enough to my family". What is meant by that? On the surface, it seems strange for the LEO to pull his weapon, but I have to think he is in low ready position for some reason other than just his hand in his pocket, again going back to history there. ??? Who knows if it will all come out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
From what I saw they both made a few mistakes that could have gone wrong fast. The guy was compelled to follow the command of the officer when he told him to show his hands, the officer was obviously pushing his authority too far when he let the fact that the guy was videotaping him get under his skin thus prompting the confrontation.
I don't believe the cop was there for a reason , I believe he was just passing buy and since cops read body language he obviously picked up on some hostility BAD VIBES coming from the person videotaping him, And it appears he took it personally. Just what I see and I think he is probably getting some retraining time in by now. I am glad that he decided to back off when he did and it ended peacefully.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I was the videographer and really thought that the PD was up to no good, I would request the radio dispatch audio from before he stepped out of the vehicle through the public information request.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just another dumb opinion, But I offer that the officer does not feel threatened or why not stay in his patrol car and call for backup (radio is an officers best law enforcement tool next to hand cuffs and his training). I don't have direct law enforcement experience (worked closely with them employed in a criminal justice department in a technical capacity) but have a background in the military tactically when you are in a situation warranting upholstering your weapon you intend to use it. It is not like in the movies and used to threaten, it is a device of deadly force and should always be used in that manner by LEO's. So either the Officer saw something that justified his use of deadly force (can't tell that from the video-what was the guy doing with his hand in his pocket while videotaping?) or he was not behaving in a manner befitting his position (why did the Officer not holster his weapon when he assessed the treat level being low).

Last edited:

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yeah the cop pulled for no reason, but I honestly do not blame them.

Living through all of the Fergerson bullshit last year, I don't blame them one bit.

I would have pulled my hand out of my pocket, but that's me.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah the cop pulled for no reason, but I honestly do not blame them.

Living through all of the Fergerson bullshit last year, I don't blame them one bit.

I would have pulled my hand out of my pocket, but that's me.
Yes! abeit very slowly and with a lot of dialog!

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unholstering is a form of officer presence. He told the guy the pull his hands from his pockets, the guy said he wasnt going to do it, and the officer pulled his gun... Then they guy pulled his hand out of his pocket (imagine that the desired result was achieved)... He could have pulled any of the items on his belt to get compliance, but he chose his gun... There is nothing wrong with what he did.... Each officer will handle the situation differently. The issue here is if an Officer tells you do to something... its in your best interest to do it.... Nothing ever comes from not listening to the police.... If there is some kind of constitutional tort performed against you, you handle the situation in the courts, but it isnt worth the trouble it could cause you in that moment....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree @PaulyB but we don't know why that cop stopped. It sure didn't appear that he had a real reason to question the resident. It appears he stopped to harass him. Even if the resident is a known goofball that doesn't give the police the right to harass. If he is a drug dealer or a kid toucher then I'll give the cop a pass. But we just don't know the facts here.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This post reminds me of this video. Do you think this Officer feels threatened and would be justified to upholster his weapon? Whom would you respect more and would want in your police department?

Last edited:

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not justifying the stop... Most of the time, if a subject is recording the police, he is doing it for a reason, and a law enforcement officer will see that and want to investigate why, causing the interaction that may have never happened in the first place... It looked to me like he was just going to get out and talk to the guy after the guy started approaching the police vehicle.... Consensual encounters are legal, a police officer can go anywhere accessible to the public and initiate contact to talk to anyone.... It is there the person being talked to has to right to refuse to talk or talk to the officer... Unfortunately recent incidents and the way the media portrays them have left a lot of Americans with distrust in the Police.... And in doing so has raised tensions on both sides of the spectrum....