• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cop pulls a gun on a Yamaha jetboat owner!!??

You never heard the old saying HERO to ZERO.
Or THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
Everyone has a bad day when two people have a bad day at the same time , in the same place, it usually becomes a bad day squared.

After 30 years on the streets, and the last 21 years on the midnight shift, I never thought I'd say this but I am happy as hell I am out of here Dec 1. Over 99 % of my colleagues (1200 person dept) treat both citizens and criminals with respect, until they demonstrate they deserve otherwise. This is the way it should be. Unfortunately, the media focuses on the miniscule bad apples who do something stupid, and the 99% of the rest of us get lumped in with these knuckleheads who never deserved to pin on a badge. One thing I have learned over the years (which applies to watching the subject video) is to never judge an officer's actions until you have walked a mile in his or her's shoes. This officer might have been just a poorly trained dumbass, or he knew something that we do not as we were not there nor were we privy to any information surrounding this incident. The point is, none of us were there, so we can't judge. Think of Officer Wilson from Ferguson. He did everything by the book and reacted appropriately and as trained, when he was attacked by a thug. Yet for almost a year, he was judged to have committed egregious harm against this "gentle giant." This is my main point. Until you walked in an officer's shoes, you have no right to judge him or her. Thankfully, the Ferguson incident was fully investigated and all evidence supported the officer, who had his life ruined by this POS. As I tell my kids, and anyone else who will listen. When an officer asks you do to something, do it. Treat the officer with respect. If you disagree, it can be hashed out later at a more appropriate time.

Oh, if the public only knew the crap we have to endure on the job. I should write a book. But I won't. I'll be too busy using my boat more than 8 times a summer!

Bruce you are very accurate in your statements. Sorry to get political, but this thread was destined to veer that direction when it's not remotely about jetboats.

I leave my remaining comments unsaid and let this one go as it could go back & forth for months and never get anywhere.

Godspeed and Godbless to any and all that leave their families on a daily basis, put on a uniform & badge to risk their own lives to keep my family and others safe.

1. The man who the gun was pulled on is an instigator on multiple forums. I imagine his real life behavior is similar.

Agree.
When I figured out who it was (didn't take me long) I wasn't surprised....I'm sure he was instigating in some way to get the police to stop.
He likes to push people's buttons...I'm glad he doesn't get on this forum, I'm sure he is still talking crap on the other one.

Those Yamaha jet boaters are a little bit different

According to this article the police officer has been suspended.

I agree with other posts here that this person is a well known instigator on this site and others. I would really like to know the whole story.

I'm just gonna leave this thread and never look back... it's hip to cop bash these days. And everyone says they know the job and know what they should have done right after they say they have never actually done it!!!

I'm going back to reading about battery's and bilge pumps ... Bye bye.

On the one year anniversary of the Michael brown incident, and a citizen of at Louis COUNTY, Michael brown should have been shot.

If you don't believe me, I implore each of you to do the following and not expect to not get shot:

1. Punch a cop in his patrol car
2. Reach for his gun

Let me know how that turns out for you.

I know the press didn't paint that picture, but that is what happened. The national press probably didn't report that a black cop was recently ambushed by four blacks in downtown St. Louis. Cop is out of hospital and the subjects apprehended, but I don't think that made national news.

Weird.

Bruce you are very accurate in your statements. Sorry to get political, but this thread was destined to veer that direction when it's not remotely about jetboats.

I leave my remaining comments unsaid and let this one go as it could go back & forth for months and never get anywhere.

Godspeed and Godbless to any and all that leave their families on a daily basis, put on a uniform & badge to risk their own lives to keep my family and others safe.

I know more about the back story than I am at liberty to disclose. I understand that being an officer is dangerous work, that is one of the reasons I'm not an officer but if it is so dangerous that you have to pull your gun because someone refuses to take his hand out of his pocket maybe you are in the wrong line of work. Keep in mind, Rohnert Park is not a crime ridden city with a history of violence, it's a sleepy retirement community in California's wine country.

A little misc. info: The boat in the video used to be mine, the current owner bought it from me, I was the second owner, the first owner was or is a law enforcement officer. I don't know what kind of officer he was or is but he seemed like a good man too me. When it came to boating he was a straight up bad ass in that he could pilot it better than the guys on boat test, at any speed without fins, in forward and reverse and he could launch and recover it with just about anything, even a 40' RV. I'd pay to be on the water with that guy, I could still learn a lot from him but only if he would allow me to video tape him the entire time. Oh no I didn't, oh yes I did but its all in fun.

Happy Friday everyone, Happy Payday Friday to some of you. I'm looking forward to a nice weekend, hopefully on the water and wish the same for all of you.

I try to see both sides of the coin in many situations involving cops. But then I think about the cop who shot an unarmed man in North Charleston, South Carolina who got out of his car and ran from the cop. He was no threat at all, just stopped his car and ran away before the cop even approached him. The cop, who happens to be in jail and rightfully so, because he lied and said the victim tried to grab his gun. Thank God for the person with a cellphone who recorded the whole situation or that cop would have gotten away with murder. Period, point blank. There is no LEO on this site that could justify that action, shooting a man in the back and lie about the circumstances surrounding the outcome. The victim had a warrant for failure to pay child support, not a warrant for murder and certainly nothing worth dying for. Should the victim had run in the first place. Certainly wasn't the smartest move, but what would any of us had done in that situation where we would face going to jail. Like someone said in an earlier post, don't judge until you had a chance to walk in another mans shoes. Situations like that, makes the job of a cop hard and increase tension in the areas they police. Not bashing police at all, but there are situations where the police actions we're unjustified. I conceal carry and if I pulled my gun every time I felt threatened, I'd have my permit pulled and have to surrender my weapon or worse yet, someone would shoot my ass. God help me if I pull the trigger. My life is no less or no more valuable than a police officer, therefore I should be able to control a situation if I feel threatened, no? I'm being a wise ass, but my gun or weapon should be a last resort in any situation. And don't anyone give me any crap about what it is working the streets in some areas as a cop. I'm a 44yr. Old black man and have lived in places where most people on this site would never go, even with a gun. I walked some mean streets in my day and had some fights in those streets and survived without a gun.

I try to look at these things from both sides and I try my best to give both sides the benefit of the doubt and find a way to see if there's any reasonable way that any side could do what they've done.

We look at the video knowing it was posted by the owner of the boat and I agree, it looks really bad.

But there are other scenarios.

The cop has no way of knowing he's the actual owner. Does he? Is there absolutely any chance he may have thought the boat was being stolen? Stuff gets stolen all the time and we gripe about how the cops are never there. I'd hate for a cop to get hurt trying to prevent my boat from getting stolen because he had to be careful and try to figure out what was going on because the other 'person' felt the need to stand their ground too. That's just the wrong way to start things off and things quickly can get out of control.

This is becoming all too common now and it's getting scary. I get it, people don't like being bossed around and use every opportunity to rebel against it.

What if the owner had just taken his hands out of his pockets? What is the harm in that? Is it really worth rebelling against? Yeah, some cops are way way out of line and bad things are happening, but being asked to take one's hands out of their pockets doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

If people could just be more understanding of each other (and I mean both sides), so many more of these bad confrontations would stop happening.

The way things keep happening it's only a matter of time before some really bad criminals are caught in the act, instead of pulling out their guns, they pull out their phones to video it, the cops lower their guard thinking it's one of these situations, and then the criminals shoot back.

People need to realize, the police are entering unknown situations. It's so easy to judge from the one side.

IMO, it's really easier just to comply. Life is too short to waste it on something as trivial as refusing to remove your hands from your pocket. I am tiring of all these people defending their rights to everything no matter how trivial at the same time putting the very people trying to protect them in more difficult situations that can get out of hand.

No doubt if it had been a thief and the boat had gotten stolen and the owner found out, "a cop almost caught the guy but the guy pulled out his phone so the cop thought it was the owner and the cop left", that the owner would be posting a complete different picture.

Everybody wants to have it both ways and with the benefit of hindsight.

We'll never know what would have happened next if he'd just pulled his hands out. Maybe the officer would have asked "is this your boat?". "yes sir". "Do you mind just proving it to me with some id? We've had reports of thefts in the area."

If a cop pulled up to me in my driveway, and asked me to remove my hands, in a heartbeat I will remove them. I am more interested in them catching the real bad guys than in me standing up to the law for some trivial request.

It is wierd though. I don't think I've ever had my hands in my pocket when getting our boat ready.

This is probably a good place to pose this question to the LEO guys. What's the trained intention of an officer putting his hands on the left corner of a vehicle when he approaches a stopped vehicle. I see it in videos/cop shows all the time. Just curious. They only seem to touch it for a second, not like they are feeling for movement in the vehicle. It's obviously commonly trained, I see it all the time.

The officer that pulled me over on I-10 a couple months ago even did it. I was pulling an empty trailer I had borrowed. He pulled me over because it had a motorcycle (small) tag on the trailer. He didn't know it was legal on a trailer. I also gave him my CC license and told him I had a gun in a pocket holster. He simply said keep yours where it is and I'll do the same. Ran the tag and came back more educated. Nice guy and I was on my way.

This is probably a good place to pose this question to the LEO guys. What's the trained intention of an officer putting his hands on the left corner of a vehicle when he approaches a stopped vehicle. I see it in videos/cop shows all the time. Just curious. They only seem to touch it for a second, not like they are feeling for movement in the vehicle. It's obviously commonly trained, I see it all the time.

The officer that pulled me over on I-10 a couple months ago even did it. I was pulling an empty trailer I had borrowed. He pulled me over because it had a motorcycle (small) tag on the trailer. He didn't know it was legal on a trailer. I also gave him my CC license and told him I had a gun in a pocket holster. He simply said keep yours where it is and I'll do the same. Ran the tag and came back more educated. Nice guy and I was on my way.

It's only to tug on the trunk lid, making sure its closed, to make sure no threat is in there holding the lid waiting to ambush. Doesn't happen often but happened enough to start training. Then becomes a habit (muscle memory) to do on every stop.

There has to be more to this then what's in the video. I don't imagine an officer just pulling up and drawing his gun. I have always been polite to officers and only really ever had one experince where I felt that I was being judged and harassed. That experince came on the recent Bimini gathering @Ramblin Wreck and I were some of the first ones into Ft Lauderdale we were sitting in Port Everglades on our skis I pulled my handheld VHF out of the glove box and was listening as the other boats were comming in. I was at idle speed finger was not on the throttle and a water cop pulled in between the two of us and very anger ly asked me where I was going and what I was doing I told him what Marina I was heading to and he began to tell me that there was no hot dogging it in the harbor and if we wanted to I needed to go back into ocean. I gave him a big thumbs up and went on my way as I bit my tounge. We were literally not moving just sitting there I honestly think he saw us there and just thought we were two kids on skis not that I was a 35 year old and he was going to come harass us. Once again I was polite I could only imagine how it would have went down had I said the things I really wanted to say but you just don't do that to police officers as I do understand they have a stressful job.

It's possible the guy has a "hostile toward law enforcement" on his file and the officer got notified when he called the plate in. With his attitude, it's likely.

It's possible the guy has a "hostile toward law enforcement" on his file and the officer got notified when he called the plate in. With his attitude, it's likely.
Concealed carry would show also?

Concealed carry would show also?

California has only issued around 70,000 CCLs. That is one out of every 533 residents. Many counties are very restrictive on issuing licenses.

My experience with police response to CCL holders has been overwhelmingly positive. The officer knows that the person he is dealing with has never committed any serious crime.

@Ronnie I didn't sell my boat to you, did I! 'Cept I would have let you videotape me so it couldn't have been my boat!

Last edited:
...it's sad when politics and entitlement reach this forum. I'll not apologize for my opinion or what is to follow in this comment as I've read many opinions in this thread that I obviously don't understand. That being said, I've worked in law enforcement for nearly 20 years now. Over a decade of that time was spent on third shift, 8 yrs as tac team entry member, 5 yrs K9 by my choice. I now work in Police Administration and one of my main roles within the agency is to mitigate liability and develop policy. I no longer work in patrol, but I can certainly speak from experience and for those that I represent. All of that being said, I challenge any member of this forum to go ride with their local police department to get just a sampling of what these ppl deal with on a daily basis. It's extremely easy to pass judgement when two things are paramount factors in your opinion....1) You know absolutely nothing about law enforcement and tactics 2) You weren't there...
Obviously there are ppl who are in law enforcement who should have never been placed in a position of authority for many reasons. As with ANY profession, there are bad apples. Statistically there are more clergy charged with sex abuse than there are Cops charged with misconduct (less than 1%). I know many men and women in this field who have sacrificed professionally, personally, and physically. The thing most don't think about is what their families sacrifice...so they can protect a society that now abhors them. Here's the funny thing, it doesn't matter to them...they will keep on doing it because they understand that honor is obtained through sacrifice. I've always chosen this profession because I want my children to be proud of what their father did with his life, the sad thing is these days I'm afraid they're embarrassed by the negative attention the profession automatically attracts.
Col David Grossman said it best in his article "On sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves" when he compares the role law enforcement plays in society to sheepdogs protecting their flock..

"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.
Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be. Also understand that a sheepdog is a funny critter: He is always sniffing around out on the perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go bump in the night, and yearning for a righteous battle. That is, the young sheepdogs yearn for a righteous battle. The old sheepdogs are a little older and wiser, but they move to the sound of the guns when needed right along with the young ones."

It's disappointing to hear folks pass judgement based on what the news media and other socio-politic groups tell them. Any good cop will tell you, even the grizzled veterans, that we draw our authority from society and what society allows. Every time I "read" or "hear" ppl make generalized statements regarding what one cop did (or didn't) do, I'm reminded of how other groups of people become offended by that behavior...

It's sad that the relationship between law enforcement has eroded to the point it has, but one thing I Know...it's not because of anything I or the ppl I work with have personally done (or the 99.4% of the rest of law enforcement in this country). Think for yourself..exercise common sense. To the Officers who are members of this forum, thank you for what you do and the sacrifices that you chose to make and that your families have made so you can do the job.

"Honor never grows old, and honor rejoices the heart of age. It does so because honor is, finally, about defending those noble and worthy things that deserve defending, even if it comes at a high cost. In our time, that may mean social disapproval, public scorn, hardship, persecution, or as always, even death itself.
The question remains: What is worth defending? What is worth dying for? What is worth living for?"

- William J. Bennett
In a lecture to the United States Naval Academy
November 24, 1997

Back