• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cop pulls a gun on a Yamaha jetboat owner!!??

I submit for most LOE's. Almost by default I give them the benefit. I have never had a LOE go crazy on me, but if one did... I would just ask that he call a supervisor and that I would not consent to any illegal searches.

I can't imagine any reason why the cops would roll up on me, ever. Everyone in my neighborhood knows me (and I know them). I am a law abiding citizen, in every way.

If the conditions of a situation made itself such that a LOE was approaching me for some cause (and if I was recording the event, which I am if it's near my house), and the LOE didn't identify the cause, I probably wouldn't be resistive, but would remind the LOE that he was being recorded voice and video and that I had done no wrong and that he has no right to search or seize on my private property. Should the LOE do anything further, it's very up in the air what my response would be. I would probably "just take it" and then deal with getting things straightened out in the end. BUT... I live across the street for the city police chief, whom I know well ... and he would likely be the first on scene ;-).

I dont know man, Im having second thoughts about hanging out with you trouble making Yamaha guys. :mooning:

Last edited:
This is probably a good place to pose this question to the LEO guys. What's the trained intention of an officer putting his hands on the left corner of a vehicle when he approaches a stopped vehicle. I see it in videos/cop shows all the time. Just curious. They only seem to touch it for a second, not like they are feeling for movement in the vehicle. It's obviously commonly trained, I see it all the time.

The officer that pulled me over on I-10 a couple months ago even did it. I was pulling an empty trailer I had borrowed. He pulled me over because it had a motorcycle (small) tag on the trailer. He didn't know it was legal on a trailer. I also gave him my CC license and told him I had a gun in a pocket holster. He simply said keep yours where it is and I'll do the same. Ran the tag and came back more educated. Nice guy and I was on my way.

To make sure that the trunk lid is properly closed (no one inside) and to put a palm/finger prints on the trunk in the event that shit goes bad.

Nice guy and I was on my way.

Yes, most of us are. :)

To the LEOs on this forum - thank you for what you do. I cannot even really imagine what it is like to do and see what you guys and gals do every day on the job. Thank you.

To make sure that the trunk lid is properly closed (no one inside) and to put a palm/finger prints on the trunk in the event that shit goes bad.

Yes, most of us are. :)

I didn't think about the fingerprints aspect, that's really interesting.

I agree, most of you really are. I would bet the bad apples are less than .01%. We really do have the best Sheriff anyone could ask for. Bay county sheriff Frank McKeithen is a great guy that isn't afraid to stand up to the political correctness BS. He's been in the news lately, google if your interested.

I live outside the city limits (ridiculous since I'm in the flipping city if you ask me) so I rely on the response of the sheriff dept when I need someone and they are always awesome.

@ScarabMike you'll see how crazy that seems when you get here. Remember, I'm about 1.5 miles from Treasure island marina.

I didn't think about the fingerprints aspect, that's really interesting.

I agree, most of you really are. I would bet the bad apples are less than .01%. We really do have the best Sheriff anyone could ask for. Bay county sheriff Frank McKeithen is a great guy that isn't afraid to stand up to the political correctness BS. He's been in the news lately, google if your interested.

I live outside the city limits (ridiculous since I'm in the flipping city if you ask me) so I rely on the response of the sheriff dept when I need someone and they are always awesome.

@ScarabMike you'll see how crazy that seems when you get here. Remember, I'm about 1.5 miles from Treasure island marina.
I would have never guessed you are out of city limits?!

I would have never guessed you are out of city limits?!
I know, ridiculous isn't it. North Lagoon is considered county at this end.

This citizen's reaction to the cops was very strange and as many have said....there is more to this story that we get from this video. If a LEO pulled up in front of my house, I'd walk down and ask him if there is anything they need, not pull out my phone and stand there recording them. That was the strange behavior to me! I welcome patrols in our neighborhood!!!

@Craig (and the rest of the LEOs on the forum) the only part of your reply I disagree with is :
I'm afraid they're embarrassed by the negative attention the profession automatically attracts.
I think the majority of the population are very proud of our LEOs, and are happy to say so. Do we watch the news where those few bad apples get all the attention...sure we do. But we also see the executives who steal, embezzle, discriminate etc...but that doesn't mean all executives are bad. It is just that it makes sensational news for the media to cover. That is their job too....they serve up the news because people like to watch those bad apples get what is coming. They don't care that once in a while the apple isn't bad. So continue to stand tall....and proud!

When the Sheriff came to my big birthday bash a few weeks ago....I was drunk...but as polite as I could be! "Yes officer, we'll shut down the band now". I only wish I'd gotten a photograph with them to prove this AARP Eligible old fart can still throw a party that the cops need to shut down!!!

This citizen's reaction to the cops was very strange and as many have said....there is more to this story that we get from this video. If a LEO pulled up in front of my house, I'd walk down and ask him if there is anything they need, not pull out my phone and stand there recording them. That was the strange behavior to me! I welcome patrols in our neighborhood!!!

@Craig (and the rest of the LEOs on the forum) the only part of your reply I disagree with is :

I think the majority of the population are very proud of our LEOs, and are happy to say so. Do we watch the news where those few bad apples get all the attention...sure we do. But we also see the executives who steal, embezzle, discriminate etc...but that doesn't mean all executives are bad. It is just that it makes sensational news for the media to cover. That is their job too....they serve up the news because people like to watch those bad apples get what is coming. They don't care that once in a while the apple isn't bad. So continue to stand tall....and proud!

When the Sheriff came to my big birthday bash a few weeks ago....I was drunk...but as polite as I could be! "Yes officer, we'll shut down the band now". I only wish I'd gotten a photograph with them to prove this AARP Eligible old fart can still throw a party that the cops need to shut down!!!
I agree with @Julian. The citizen was recording before the cop even came over (almost like he was expecting something for some reason). I feel (my personal opinion - don't kill me) that the citizen might have been trying to incite an incident. I realize I may be wrong, but that is what it looks like from my point of view. I have always been pleasant to officers. I introduce my kids to them as helpers not "the enemy" and I expect my kids to abide with whatever they are told by an officer. My kids realize officers are people and some are bad, just like some doctors are bad or some sanitation workers are bad. We never guide our interaction with an authority figure with an automatic negative bias. Our society is making the cops have no authority and that is dangerous. Soon, we will be asking why the cops did not protect us. The answer is simple.....they now have to be too worried about the repercussions to act. Everything has to be done in a manner to avoid public backlash....and let's face it, everything these days draws public backlash. I am not excusing the times when there is police brutality or abuse of authority or simply too much use of force like the Walter Scott shooting in South Carolina, but that is the minority of cops. That cop is bad. There are many more that are good.

Last edited:
We live in times where people have become more brazen and have a lack of respect for authority. We all know how hard it is to be a parent and face scrutiny for the way we care for our children. Times have changed and as a society, we must change. If the circumstances surrounding what happened, is happening in Ferguson do not change on both sides there will be more lives, on both sides destroyed. The courts are changing and they are convicting LEO personell for their actions. People who live in communities where there is heavy police presence need to start policing their own commutities. It starts by not turning a blind eye to criminal activity of any sort. But, that also requires building trust of the police department and that trust is predicated on the way the officers deal with the people of those communities.

We live in times where people have become more brazen and have a lack of respect for authority. We all know how hard it is to be a parent and face scrutiny for the way we care for our children. Times have changed and as a society, we must change. If the circumstances surrounding what happened, is happening in Ferguson do not change on both sides there will be more lives, on both sides destroyed. The courts are changing and they are convicting LEO personell for their actions. People who live in communities where there is heavy police presence need to start policing their own commutities. It starts by not turning a blind eye to criminal activity of any sort. But, that also requires building trust of the police department and that trust is predicated on the way the officers deal with the people of those communities.
I agree with your points, especially about trust.

I certainly didn't expect this thread to go on like this, but it shows how this particular subject hits home.

I, for one, have great respect for all the people in my town who are of service to me. That includes Police officers, Firefighters and first responders of all types, trash collectors (an often way under appreciated job) postal workers and the guys who fix the potholes.....I'm sure I overlooked a few, but you get the idea.

Last time we had any interaction with the Police was when my wife started getting these phone calls from out of the country - probably phishing for info. We called, they said they would send someone over to take a report. A while later two uniformed officers knock on the door, I answer it and see that it's a lieutenant and what appears to be a cadet. I invite them both in and they look at me like I'm nuts or something...sorta like, "Really? you want us to come in?" type of look. I ask them if they want something to drink - water, anything? It's almost like nobody treats them like they are deserving of hospitality anymore.

Anyway, my point is, these guys do the job that most of us don't want to and most likely cannot do for ourselves. Every occupation has great employees and not so great employees. But to lump someone into a category of good or bad based on their profession or the uniform they wear is just plain wrong.

My daughter put a poster on her wall (she's an EMT who drives a critical care rig working towards starting the fire academy and then ultimately a paramedic/firefighter - fingers crossed):

682930ac4e7cea025b273832a836d4f4.jpg

Right now she's working 12 hour shifts that all run 15 hours. I get to see her walk in the door at 5am when I'm walking out to go to work. It's a job I wouldn't want to do, yet she loves it. At 21 I was flying around with a rock and roll band, not flying with lights and sirens with a guy on a heart/lung machine in back of my vehicle! o_O

So, to you guys and gals behind the badge - THANKS, I appreciate what you do, just come home safe to your loved ones.

Bill, That is awesome. Thanks. I tweeted that to my local PD, Lord knows they could use a pat on the back these days.

and thanks for the kind words.

:cool:

We weren't there and we don't know the circumstances or background of that videotaped encounter.
Unfortunately, the general public just has no idea how fast a situation can go bad.:(

...and by the way, the guy shouting "I didn't do anything (wrong)!"...usually turns out to be the one who did it.:cool:

Last edited:
Back