• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Covered Boat Lifts: piling height above water?

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
For those of you that have covered boat lifts, how tall are your pilings (above the water)?

We’re looking at getting a boat lift installed and trying to figure out how long of pilings we need. The installer is suggesting going to the next size up height wise but it’s a huge price jump. Curious what heights everyone else is using

For mine, my height above the water is about 16'. The boat is about 9.5' tall, then you have to consider the height of the lift, and finally decide how much above the water you want it to sit. One other condsideration for me is varying lake levels. Our lake normal pool is 131' but can range from 127' to 133'. Also, though most use 6x6 beams, I chose 8x8 beams for additional strength and support.

Attachments

• 20210806_174633.jpg
    20210806_174633.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 20
Depends on where you live. If you are in a hurricane / storm surge area, I would go at least as high as the highest storm surge levels ever reported for that area at the least. If you don't get hurricanes then I would use flood data. If the water gets too high and the boat floats off the lift, you don't want it slamming into the cover / roof.

The marina at our place saw water go over the pilings with Hurricane Ian last year. A lot of boats properly tied off broke free (on and off lifts) when ropes slid off the tops of pilings and were damaged or sunk as a result. I think the marina had pilings 10' - 12' over the water.... and that wasn't enough.

You may not be in an area where you need to worry about it.... but its something to think about.

Last edited:
Back