• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Covered or uncovered...that is the question!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m usually home from the lake after dark so I let everything dry out with the seats and hatches open and cover it in the morning.

I just got the boat late last summer so we’ll see how the upcoming monsoon storms go. Enormous rain and dust can sneak up without warning so I may have to change my routine.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a universal 24ft cover for $200 ish at West Marine. We are in Florida and I didn’t want that sun beating down on the interior, figured keeping some rain out wouldn’t hurt either. I usually get back from the water with a hour or so of light left. I flush the motors and give the boat a real good rinse, we only boat in salt water. I leave the cover off overnight to air our and let the FL sun dry it the next day, then cover it for the rest of the week. Boat sits in my driveway under a power line, cover does a good
job keeping the bird poop off and the lizards out. Cover stood up good to the tropical storm we got last weekend, sustained 30mph winds, gusts up to 45ish for a good 36 hours.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fortunately, I am able to keep mine in my boathouse. It is always out of the rain and direct sun. Weekends or extended visits during the summer, she is uncovered while I am there, but always covered when we leave and while gone. No problem with security....I have neighbors that live there full time and keep an eye on things. I dont do anything but lift her out of the water each evening, but dont cover, and dont flush. However, at the end of the visit both the boat and the jetskis get completely washed and dryed, engines flushed, and filled with fuel. 1-2 times a year they get waxed/polished. In the mean time I use Ducky Water Spot remover. I have an onboard dual battery charger for the boat and single portable charger for each jetski. Everything is completely covered and I also have a dehumidifier sitting in the boat to eliminate mildew (Does a fantastic job in this TX heat and humidity).
Hmm dehumidifier?? Haven’t heard that one yet...good idea. What kind do you have? Ya this Chucktown heat and humidity is brutal!

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fine! I’ll never leave it uncovered again, geez guys! Lol, jk. It was funny reading all of the, “i’ll never leave it uncovered again” stories.

After the rain finally let up, the wet storage compartment was completely full and the bilge pump activated a time or two (i had all the drain plugs closed since i was about to roll). Wiped it down best i could, removed the carpets, and recovered. It’s still damp in there so i’ll take off the cover n let everything air out tomorrow. Ughhhh.

Thanks for all the input.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmm dehumidifier?? Haven’t heard that one yet...good idea. What kind do you have? Ya this Chucktown heat and humidity is brutal!
This is the one I bought on Amazon....but they dont carry it anymore. It is kinda expensive, but well worth it. I had a cheaper one that wasnt worth a damn. I have had zero mildew issues since using this. You wouldnt think it would work with a breathable cover, but I have the humidity set at 60% and it does cut off and on as the humidity under the cover changes.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya this post title doesn’t accurately represent what i was getting at. I would never not cover it when not in use. While prepping for an outing, the rain came out of nowhere. Too fast to put the cover back on before the interior already got soaked. Just waiting for the rain to stop now.
Fine! I’ll never leave it uncovered again, geez guys! Lol, jk. It was funny reading all of the, “i’ll never leave it uncovered again” stories.

After the rain finally let up, the wet storage compartment was completely full and the bilge pump activated a time or two (i had all the drain plugs closed since i was about to roll). Wiped it down best i could, removed the carpets, and recovered. It’s still damp in there so i’ll take off the cover n let everything air out tomorrow. Ughhhh.

Thanks for all the input.
I am reading this whole thread rolling on the floor... I don't think that went where you meant it to go.

So, to answer your real question: in a downpour, do you run out and get soaked trying to cover the boat? Um, no. Just make sure the bilge pump is on.

The UV is much more dangerous to your boat and its seats than the rain. So we all cover it long term. For a little downpour: go in the house, car, or under cover, enjoy a beverage. When it is all done, go out and wipe it off a bit and go have some fun.

Float on!

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am reading this whole thread rolling on the floor... I don't think that went where you meant it to go.

So, to answer your real question: in a downpour, do you run out and get soaked trying to cover the boat? Um, no. Just make sure the bilge pump is on.

The UV is much more dangerous to your boat and its seats than the rain. So we all cover it long term. For a little downpour: go in the house, car, or under cover, enjoy a beverage. When it is all done, go out and wipe it off a bit and go have some fun.

Float on!
Now, that's what I was looking for HAHA. Sigh of relief! LOL.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our Yamaha is always covered when not being used or worked on with either the mooring cover or bow and cockpit covers. We store ours in one of our barns, a horse arena when not being used. Our boat was always covered at the marina. Bird $hit and spiders find their way into the boat if you do not. On our 07 M/Y AR230, the weight distribution of the boat is off. While at the slip, afloat, the deck of the boat drains forward not aft to the scupper. I would find rainwater that had made it thru the cover had pooled in the bow forward of the ski locker. It would accumulate until it reached the forward edge of the ski locker gutter where it would leak past a new seal and enter the locker. I put a water ballast bag on the upper deck of the swim platform with about 350#'s of water to change the pitch of the deck so the water drains aft, as the boat is supposed to. The Yamaha design team must have known about it, because it appears they fixed the error on later models. Do you find your bow carpet wet? Here is the thread if interested. https://jetboaters.net/threads/rain-water-pools-at-front-of-bow-floor-while-on-the-water.14264/#post-246353

Edit: For those with 07-09 M/Y, float your boat, put a level on the deck and get out of the boat. How is it reading? Mine was pretty much stock at the time, as far as adding weight with batteries etc.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whether the canopy is up or down, I use two sun sails: a 16' triangular one for the bow and windshield area and a 16' square one for the midship and stern area. The fabric is uv resistant and breathes. I remove all seat cushions that are not bolted down, and cover the openings with plastic covered shaped plywood. It is no longer a frog haven. It gets wet but dries out quickly. The bolted cushions and captain chair get covered in loose pieces of plastic. I always have immediate access anywhere in the boat.