• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Covered or uncovered...that is the question!

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
until you've seen it you wouldn't believe the volume of spiders, webs, nests and bird &*(% that can accumulate in a few days/nights ...
CAN CONFIRM! After just two days untouched at the slip, I had to brush THREE spiders off me while i was driving... sure glad i was on open waters and not the freeway... bow/cockpit covers were on when stored, but the little (big) guys found a way in.

spiders and I have a mutual agreement; they stay far away from me, and I’ll keep them off the bottom of my shoes...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’m feeling pretty guilty after reading all your posts. I keep the boat tied to a dock at our cottage and only cover it when we’re not there. So it’s covered maybe 1/2 the time from May to October.

While it’s partially a bit of laziness, it’s harder to put the cover on when the boat is in the water. But I’ll try harder after reading all these posts!
Factory mooring cover? I roll mine on, front to back, takes me less time to put the cover on than it does to wait for my wife before we leave to go out for the day!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The only time my boat has gone uncovered for more than 8 hours is when we go to Bimini. She goes the whole trip (on the water) uncovered as she's being used every day and even some nights.

Other than that my boat is ONLY uncovered when she is being used or being worked on. All other times she is covered lovingly.

A guy 8 or so slips down from me has a 10k Sunstream lift and bought the new 24' boat when if first came out (2015?) and his boat is never covered. It looks like shit. @OperationROL and I looked at it last year and it made you want to cry it was in such poor neglected shape.....
That boat was brutal. Made my head hurt.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Until 11 days ago I always covered the boat when not in use - on or off the water. Now that I am in a covered slip and will use it more regularly, it stays uncovered.
20200601_192316.jpg

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m feeling pretty guilty after reading all your posts. I keep the boat tied to a dock at our cottage and only cover it when we’re not there. So it’s covered maybe 1/2 the time from May to October.

While it’s partially a bit of laziness, it’s harder to put the cover on when the boat is in the water. But I’ll try harder after reading all these posts!
I've got my boat on a mooring ball offshore. We've only had it 2 weeks, but we left it uncovered the first night... never again. Pollen, bugs, dust, grime. It was disgusting and I spent 3 hours the following Friday wiping it down fully to take some friends out.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cover most of the time while it’s sitting. The exception is the annual Florida trips. We use it pretty much EVERY day for a week or two, not much sense in covering, only to uncover 12 hours later (overnight). It’s a little bit easier with the FSH, not as much vinyl and cushion to worry about. Otherwise though, I usually cover.
I even cover while on vacation. If I'm not on the boat it's got a cover on it.

This was vacation last year. Glad I had the cover on it :D
VacationRain.jpg

As to water hurting the boat.......Long term yes, but I wouldn't (and don't) worry about a rainstorm or two. I've been caught out in some torrential downpours that resulted in INCHES of water sitting on the deck and soaking the carpet. No ill effects that I can tell. Once it's home and in the garage it gets "torn apart" and everything is hung to dry, and fans are put on it. As much as I'm a firm believe in "Keep the water on the right side of the boat", I'm an equal believer in "It was built for this"......I use either depending on how my mood swings :D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Until 11 days ago I always covered the boat when not in use - on or off the water. Now that I am in a covered slip and will use it more regularly, it stays uncovered.
View attachment 122206
What? Operationrol's boat's uncovered????? Quick...call the mental health hotline! LOL

Just wait until the first time he comes back to find a heron has taken a dump in it! The birds LOVE my tower - especially when the bimini cover is off. But I'd be tempted in that full covered slip to do the same thing!!! I'm jealous!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Uncovered is the pits. Freaking cow bird pooped some nuclear stuff on the 3rd weekend I left it uncovered overnight for one night.. Not cool. I cover it every time now.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL you got that right. At my house the only two places where the birds crap are on the Boat Cover and the Admiral's car. Not good for me in either spot. I even cut down two trees over the drive to help, now they crap that purple stuff on her car.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have been covering my boat every time i bring it in and after I work on it. Of course I want it stay in the best condition it can. But lately as I am working on it, it is getting late and dark. Also if I come in off the water after dark, I basically flush the engines real quick, to the annoyance of my neighbors and cover it. I was contemplating leaving my cover off for the night so the next day I can hose it down and clean everything.

Does anyone do this? What about flushing the next day as well if real late? I am in freshwater.
You're boating in fresh water, you don't even have to flush the engines if you don't want to. So waiting one more day certainly isn't going to matter one way or another

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about sand and other particulates that are in there? I figured since the launch gets shallow when I am coming out I may suck some sand, etc. in there.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wet slip mine every summer in an uncovered slip. The cover comes off when we first take the boat out on any given trip to the lake and it gets covered with the towing cover before we leave...regardless if we are there 2 days or 2 weeks.

On my 09, I got 4 seasons out of the cover and the only reason I bought a newer one was because I piece came loose while towing and ever-so slightly tore the cover. So I used the new cover for towing and the older one for slip storage. After 5 years, that original cover was fine from the sun. I figured a $700 cover is cheaper than reconditioning faded fiberglass or even seats.

Between trips, the cover is always on the boat with anti pooling poles in. This not only keeps rain and moisture out of the boat, but prying eyes, and due to the slope of the swim platform, ducks and geese don't land on it to rest. There are literally dozens of boats in the Marina with goose and duck crap all over the swim platforms. When putting the cover on or off, I'm the only one who walks barefoot onto the swim platform to secure it to the tow straps...as I know where to step and not damage the cover. After 3 seasons, the Bimini is also still in great shape as I generally put it on in July and take it off at Labor Day Weekend. I intentionally decided to leave the Bimini up as it's likely a cheaper part to replace over the stereo speakers from sun rot.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What about sand and other particulates that are in there? I figured since the launch gets shallow when I am coming out I may suck some sand, etc. in there.
I mean it can't hurt to flush them, if it gives you piece of mind then I would do so. I have never flushed my skis or boat when only using in fresh water

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fortunately, I am able to keep mine in my boathouse. It is always out of the rain and direct sun. Weekends or extended visits during the summer, she is uncovered while I am there, but always covered when we leave and while gone. No problem with security....I have neighbors that live there full time and keep an eye on things. I dont do anything but lift her out of the water each evening, but dont cover, and dont flush. However, at the end of the visit both the boat and the jetskis get completely washed and dryed, engines flushed, clean out plugs pulled and filled with fuel. 1-2 times a year they get waxed/polished. In the mean time I use Ducky Water Spot remover. I have an onboard dual battery charger for the boat and single portable charger for each jetski. Everything is completely covered and I also have a dehumidifier sitting in the boat to eliminate mildew (Does a fantastic job in this TX heat and humidity).

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Fortunately, I am able to keep mine in my boathouse. It is always out of the rain and direct sun. Weekends or extended visits during the summer, she is uncovered while I am there, but always covered when we leave and while gone. No problem with security....I have neighbors that live there full time and keep an eye on things. I dont do anything but lift her out of the water each evening, but dont cover, and dont flush. However, at the end of the visit both the boat and the jetskis get completely washed and dryed, engines flushed, and filled with fuel. 1-2 times a year they get waxed/polished. In the mean time I use Ducky Water Spot remover. I have an onboard dual battery charger for the boat and single portable charger for each jetski. Everything is completely covered and I also have a dehumidifier sitting in the boat to eliminate mildew (Does a fantastic job in this TX heat and humidity).
Assuming that you fuel your boats without removing them from the water, what kind of device do you use for that? 50 gallons is a lot of gas cans...

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Assuming that you fuel your boats without removing them from the water, what kind of device do you use for that? 50 gallons is a lot of gas cans...
I usually refuel every other day...25-30 gallons depending on usage. I haul 6, 5 gallon cans down to the the dock with my lawn tractor trailer. I have a stand that I set the cans on their side. A dishwasher drain hose fits perfectly over the gas can nozzle with no leaks. The other end goes in the boat. A bit of a pain, but I save at least $30 each fillup by doing that over filling up at a marina, and I am a cheap SOB :)

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What? Operationrol's boat's uncovered????? Quick...call the mental health hotline! LOL

Just wait until the first time he comes back to find a heron has taken a dump in it! The birds LOVE my tower - especially when the bimini cover is off. But I'd be tempted in that full covered slip to do the same thing!!! I'm jealous!
I know. I would never have thought I would ever leave her uncovered either. However, I don't get any bugs, bird poop or anything else when it is raised on the lift, so it makes it so convenient. One of my dock mates leaves it wet slipped and has to clean bird turd each time before use. If that ever happens I will go back to covering always.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I usually refuel every other day...25-30 gallons depending on usage. I haul 6, 5 gallon cans down to the the dock with my lawn tractor trailer. I have a stand that I set the cans on their side. A dishwasher drain hose fits perfectly over the gas can nozzle with no leaks. The other end goes in the boat. A bit of a pain, but I save at least $30 each fillup by doing that over filling up at a marina, and I am a cheap SOB :)
I had the apparent audacity to check on marina fuel prices on our lake's Facebook group a couple weeks back. I got zero replies on prices, was told if I had to ask, I can't afford a boat. Up and down my shore, people jerry can it; some people are cheap. I'm one of 'em. ;)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got zero replies on prices, was told if I had to ask, I can't afford a boat
Not cool. Your boat is prolly nicer than most of theirs.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our boat is in a covered marina for the summer, but I always cover it when we are not on it. As for flushing, we are on fresh water, and do not flush the engines. I do pull the cleanout plugs and make sure they drain off so the cleanout ports don't grow a biomass. Occasionally I lube the plug seals also.
Last boat we sold was 24 years old, and many people thought it was new - always kept it covered! In winter the boat is stored inside so we leave the cover off for better ventilation.