• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Customs and Border Protection

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are Canadian and live in a border town across from Buffalo, New York. With the NEW boat we expect to have some range and the ability to visit gas pumps and restaurants on the the US side as frequently as we can. While investigating the reporting needs for BOTH sides of the border, I thought I would ask the membership here what they use to cross the line.

I do realize that most members here are American, so the rules are different.

Looking for Canadians pleasure boat into the US regularly through the season.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you just head over to the border control office and ask? THey would tell you from both sides.

Nauti Buoys

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
you need your nexus or an i68 and a BR number, whenever you go over you must call US customs and report as well as calling Canadian customs when you return. everyone on board must have either the nexus and BR number or the I68. Saying your just filling up with gas doesn't work because as soon as you steep foot on soil you have technically landed and you must get off the boat to fuel it up. i would make sure you know the rules, locally they have cameras on both sides that take pictures and they have border patrol in boats, i have seen people nailed by both pictures and at the docks.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I live just across from Windsor, ON in a Detroit suburb. We thought we would end up with the scenario last year, but actually did not. We lived in Windsor for 10+ years so we have a lot of friends there. I remember we did out in at Lake st Clair once on the Canadian side (with a Michigan Plated boat). I clarified before we went via a phone call to Canada customs, that I would STILL need to call the nexus reporting line when I return to Canadian soil (even though I left CDN soil without ever touching the US). Anyway, the waves were horrible and we were pretty beat up after a couple of hours and exhausted. We didn't end up calling and I don't think anyone is looking for us. We cross by car all the time, so we don't do anything stupid but the reason I mention it is sometimes it is not as simple an answer as you would expect. I was also advised by one CBP officer that you technically needed to call in as soon as you crossed into international waters - it's not like it's marked on the river!!!