• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cybertruk Reveal Discussion - Spoiler Alert

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Once one truck or the other starts losing ground it’s game over. Watch any truck tug of war, you get the same results. A spinning tire has HUGELY less traction than a non spinning one. Let’s also forget that they used a base model F150 2wd....not saying it’s totally bunk but as the Ford guy said on Twitter let’s see an “apples to apples” demo.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like this guys videos.

Great video. A lot of assumptions made in the analysis, however.

2 points:
1) The complexity of the Ford drivetrain IMHO is actually a selling point for Tesla. No need for a torgue converter, then transmission, then differential.
2) Everyone assumes (correctly, based on the video) that the F-150 used is RWD. Everyone ALSO ASSUMES (unknown?) that the Cybertruck used is AWD.

Theoretically we will find out an apples-to-apples comparison this week (even though Ford backed down and claimed their EVP was just kidding when he threw out the challenge). Ford backs off Tesla Cybertruck tug-of-war rematch challenge, but Musk is doing it anyway

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FB_IMG_1574962790382.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
After thinking about it a while, Elon has created the EV version of a Honda Ridgeline. A pickup for city/suburb types that don’t rely on their truck as a tool, but occasionally haul a bag or two of mulch and put their mountain bikes in it. Obviously this is a unibody design, with an IRS. Tongue weight of over 1000 lbs at the stated towing capacity, if the rear wheel is cambered that bad empty imagine a big boy trailer on there? Air suspension is the obvious answer, but again I can’t help but imagine a unibody vehicle without a full length frame isn’t going to handle the loads. If it were capable, we’d see unibody full size trucks and semis by now.
I said some of this in the Model X thread but the "city/suburb types" you reference above are a HUGE market. I live next to your standard suburban neighborhood. Hundreds of 3,000 sq ft houses on 1/4 acre lots. The place is FILLED with pickup trucks. None of them are hauling a 5th wheel of cattle to the auction or a load of hay. A very tiny (like 2) number haul 5th wheel campers. What do they do with them? They commute, make runs to Lowes, drag the family around, and maybe haul a boat to the lake on the weekends. For all of those things, a CT would work just fine. Some could even say it would work better than an ICE truck.

At this point all we have are Tesla's claims regarding towing capacity. If we take them at their word then obviously they figured out how to tow heavy loads without a body on ladder frame design. You say that if it was possible that we would have seen it by now. I disagree. Existing manufacturers are super conservative. Why would they invest in the R&D when what they have works just fine? The Toyota 4runner hasn't changed mechanically for like 15 years yet still sells. If it ain't broke, and all your competitors have the exact same design....

I saw the picture of the messed up wheel but at the same event they gave demo rides for a couple hours. The truck performed just fine. These are hand-build prototypes, who knows what could have broken on that one on the stage.

Agree that the reveal was a train wreck, Elon sucks as a presenter, and the truck is ugly. But the specs are outstanding and it could really work for my use case which is what I wrote above about the neighborhood people with the addition of being able to carry and charge my Alta dirtbike. Finally, the look is growing on me in a function over form kind of way.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure if I should start another thread for this, but I had forgotten about another EV truck that is traditionally designed but still has impressive stats. The next few years are going to be awesome!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if I should start another thread for this, but I had forgotten about another EV truck that is traditionally designed but still has impressive stats. The next few years are going to be awesome!

Now this looks sensible. If it had a Tesla badge on it they'd have another 200k orders.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Looks good! Likes like an old school truck mixed with new technology and designs. Looks tough.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Back to the future 4?
FB_IMG_1575396834165.jpg
Somehow it looks better to me...

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Who wants one?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone else see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/e7qs5n
To me.....it looks worse than it did on stage. Those proportions are just....well......bad. Looks like a Transit van, a DeLorean, and a pickup got locked in a genetic mutation machine and it got all the bad traits of each.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, now this Cyber Roadster (artist concept) is pretty rad.
tesla-roadster-cybertruck-render.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More Tesla vs Ford Tug of war Shennaigans. This time a Model X and an F250. I don't remember where I put the last video so I'm gonna drop this one here.

Also.....I listened to ZERO commentary in the video, I skipped around to see who would win. The important part is at 7:50. No idea what happens before/after, but it starts with some dude in the shower. I have no idea what's going on there, and didn't go back to look.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love it! I could care less about the looks. 6 seat truck, awesome autopilot, 4x4, 500mi range, 14k towing,. 0-60 2.9sec, 10.8sex 1/4 mile, built in ramps, cool "vault", and priced like a loaded f350. Watch it beat a 911.