• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth Finder Installer near Philly

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for recommendations of places to install a transducer and fish/depth finder on my 2018 AR190. I’m located about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Here is my Garmin transducer. It has chirp, traditional and side scan. I installed this on my 22 SX195. Works great! I suggest buying the transom saver to screw into. Prevents drilling more holes into the boat than needed. Uninstalled this on the port side as my boarding ladder is on the starboard side.
B172BB92-6FA0-4EC3-BEAE-F091F470B27E.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Edit, these are easy to do. As I don’t know much about electronics, I had my father in law help me with the power source. I installed a Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV on my boat.
7F66F619-62ED-4EA8-BA0B-0A408FCAE66B.jpeg36284DB9-840B-407C-B26C-26AD487EB383.jpeg

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I ordered it off of amazon. Comes with everything needed to Mount with the 3m tape. Holds well so far at 40+ mph in saltwater.
SEAWORTHY INNOVATIONS Stern Pad Jumbo White - Screwless Transducer/Acc. Mounting Kit (for Large 3D Scan Transducers) - Made in The USA with Genuine 3M VHB Adhesive https://a.co/d/cPCL1Jo

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! Man the reviews on this thing are pretty solid. I was a bit skeptical.... How did you run the line into the boat? Did you drill a hole for that? Also what about mounting on the dash? Any issues or anything tips to look out for when mounting? Thanks!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
You are correct, I had to cut a pretty decent size hole in the transom to allow for the transducer cable end (double split end for side view and down view) and fish that up to the dash, just make sure there is no plumbing or exhaust you may drill into. I used the Garmin mount and was able to place it nicely on the dash as I didn't recess it. I used the power from my courtesy lights switch to power up the unit as I never use the courtesy lights in the boat, or use the boat at night that would need inside lights.
If you plan to drill into the hull, put a piece of blue painters tape over the area you are going to drill into to prevent the gel coat / fiberglass from cracking. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up. Remember you are drilling into a boat, so the higher you can get the hole above the waterline, the less chance of water getting into the boat. I ran my cable as high as I could and that happened to be just under the radii of the swim platform. My '22 has pretty good transom access from the swim platform hatch by the clean out plug as I could measure, verify, mark, verify and start drilling without hitting anything with the bit.
Don't rush it, and wait to open that first beer once you are done drilling ;) It will be much more rewarding. BTW, what unit / brand are you looking to put in?
#BeerThirty

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
You should definitely try to do it yourself. Unless you definitely can't or want to do it, its a pretty fun and easy project. The transom saver is a great suggestion, I would also add to use the Blue Sea cable clam. You can see my post here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-sx195-chartplotter-fish-finder.21146/#post-369466 and the BlueSea cable clam here: https://www.amazon.com/Boating-Accessories-Blue-Sea-Systems/dp/B00MYSFO02/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ULOKR3NVWX3E&keywords=blue+sea+cable+clam+1003&qid=1676487612&sprefix=blue+sea+cable+clam+1003,aps,107&sr=8-5

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are correct, I had to cut a pretty decent size hole in the transom to allow for the transducer cable end (double split end for side view and down view) and fish that up to the dash, just make sure there is no plumbing or exhaust you may drill into. I used the Garmin mount and was able to place it nicely on the dash as I didn't recess it. I used the power from my courtesy lights switch to power up the unit as I never use the courtesy lights in the boat, or use the boat at night that would need inside lights.
If you plan to drill into the hull, put a piece of blue painters tape over the area you are going to drill into to prevent the gel coat / fiberglass from cracking. Start with a small drill bit and work your way up. Remember you are drilling into a boat, so the higher you can get the hole above the waterline, the less chance of water getting into the boat. I ran my cable as high as I could and that happened to be just under the radii of the swim platform. My '22 has pretty good transom access from the swim platform hatch by the clean out plug as I could measure, verify, mark, verify and start drilling without hitting anything with the bit.
Don't rush it, and wait to open that first beer once you are done drilling ;) It will be much more rewarding. BTW, what unit / brand are you looking to put in?
#BeerThirty
I went with this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WPQLF8L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mainly want it for maps and depth (as the AR190 doesn't have a stock depth finder) and their are good map apps on the phone, but it kills my phone battery.

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well... I should have listened to you guys and did it myself.... the old saying is true...

I took it to a Yamaha dealer, figuring they would know these boats and what they are doing. Took the boat out today, over 10mph I lose all depth readings. Pretty sure its because they put the transducer way too high! Based on this video (below), when on plane my depth finder is definitely out of the water, right? That's my thoughts, do you guys agree it should be moved closer to the pump? Tagging some experts here for help. Thanks in advance! @HawaiiBreeze @Thermobrett

Jet boat on Plane:

My transducer:
1685198305804.png

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Definitely too high. How it it mounted to the transom?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Agree, way too high. Should be pretty close to the lowest spot on the hull.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks both. @Thermobrett - do you have any issues at full speed with where yours is placed? I may send the Marina a pictures of yours and ask them to replicate.
I have no problem with mine. I would suggest adding the transom saver like I have. It sticks onto the hull then you screw into that. Makes adjustments a lot easier.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Adding a few more pics to the thread of my install, in the event you need to show your marina.
IMG_3418.jpegIMG_3417.jpegIMG_3416.jpegIMG_3419.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks All! Appreciate the feedback. I had the Marina move it here and its working at speed now! What a difference boating is knowing your depths at all times!
1687177437304.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks All! Appreciate the feedback. I had the Marina move it here and its working at speed now! What a difference boating is knowing your depths at all times!
View attachment 202372
Glad it worked out for you and they righted the wrong. I agree, I would figure 3 miles out in Tampa bay I would be in some relatively deep water, sometimes I am only running in 3-4ft but can’t see the bottom as it’s churned up.

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad it worked out for you and they righted the wrong. I agree, I would figure 3 miles out in Tampa bay I would be in some relatively deep water, sometimes I am only running in 3-4ft but can’t see the bottom as it’s churned up.
yeah same. I boat in the upper Chesapeake bay. The channel runs on the outskirts of the bay, you go in the middle of the bay places where you can barely see land in any direction and yet you are running in 3 ft or less of water. its crazy how the topography is.