• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Depth finder issues

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just started having an issue with my depth finder which displays in connext. A typical trip lately would be

1. start from my wet slip, depth gauge working properly
2. a short time after driving around, the depth will freeze at the current depth, and then start blinking with the depth not changing, even though it definitely should be
3. The blinking will continue for the rest of the trip, with small periods of the gauge working, but that is short lived as the blinking starts again
4. seems to repeat this behavior with the next trip

turning off the power to connext for a short time doesn't seem to fix the issue, seems like the time in between outings has the depth working for a short time.

I do wet slip, which has me thinking there is some growth obstructing the depth probe?

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ive been having the same issue...looking forward to any insight

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm thinking of adding a GPS type device just to get the depth, maybe I should call the dealer and see if they have an insight.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen this too, keep mine on a lift. I have a garmin for backup

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Factory one just started last week would work in shallow areas then freeze up frequently..I trailer so no visible grime or damage to transducer. i'll start researching add ons.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If your not under warranty they are made by airmar. I'm waiting to see if someone changes it what model is used . Mine works and it reads down to 1ft the older versions cut out at 2.5 ft

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a similar issue. Works normal, then I get flashing gray bars, with no number readout.
Today, I was in 120 feet of water, and got the Low Depth Alarm, which is set at 4 feet.
Been this way since day one.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Same issue here.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just started having an issue with my depth finder which displays in connext. A typical trip lately would be

1. start from my wet slip, depth gauge working properly
2. a short time after driving around, the depth will freeze at the current depth, and then start blinking with the depth not changing, even though it definitely should be
3. The blinking will continue for the rest of the trip, with small periods of the gauge working, but that is short lived as the blinking starts again
4. seems to repeat this behavior with the next trip

turning off the power to connext for a short time doesn't seem to fix the issue, seems like the time in between outings has the depth working for a short time.

I do wet slip, which has me thinking there is some growth obstructing the depth probe?
I had this same issue on my second outing of a brand spanking new boat. Trailered and new so doubt it was an obstruction. I thought maybe the lake was too deep to register. Hasn't happened since then though and ive been back on that lake in the same spots and its not a depth issue. Weird. Will watch this thread for possible answers to this quirky problem.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
does the AR195 use the same type ? Not that we even know what airmar model is used for the 242X series I think its the P19 series and they have a few different types in that series

brokitansky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Happens to me intermittently too. For some reason it’s more common when idling in neutral and will start to register correctly again when starting to move.

Krazykid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have been experiencing the same issues. Dealership replaced transducer under warranty. Haven’t been to the lake to verify replacement fixes the issue.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never had problem before, but on Sundays trip the depth finder was erratic. Has anyone changed their sensor or found other solution?

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mine is erratic as well- has been since new, however, it starts working correctly after driving a bit and often works correctly. It's so hit or miss I don't think a tech could isolate the problem.

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HI All,

has anyone figured out what AIRmar model is used by Yamaha? $600 for OEM is rediculous. thanks!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
maybe try to contact air mar directly and mail it to them could even be covered by there warranty

my boat came with a plug to fill the airmar hole . They recommend removing for winterization, oh bad word this time of the year it could probbaly get freeze damage from residual water in the bilge keep us posted

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has always been hit/miss. Lately it's been reading several HUNDREDS of feet deep while I'm still in the creek leading out to the lake by us - there is no place that is deeper than 4 feet there, I've been coming to the area since I was five years old, and I am beyond familiar with the depths.

I'm wondering if there's some other depth finder that could somehow be hooked into the Connext screen. I'm not opposed to having another display at the helm as long as it works, but it'd be nice to be able to tie it into the system.

It seems to me that even if these things are covered by warranty, enough people have problems with these that I wouldn't want a replacement, since they'll end up being just as unreliable. Why swap out crap, simply because it'll be new crap? It seems clear to me that it'll eventually end up the same as the old one.

I think I still have my plug, but I wonder what's involved with removing it from the system, or even if it CAN be removed. This isn't a vital fix for me, so there's no way I'm addressing this before the other things I want to do with the boat, but if I eventually take my boat to another lake, it'd be nice to know that I'm working with more-reliable depth info than what the OEM gives.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its not that common of a failure otherwise more people would post about it and know what the replacement is especially at the expense that they are posting . Any electronic item exposed to water will have a failure rate one flaw in the casting and the moisture gives it problems . My 2005 worked until it was sold 13 years later while others had failures not a huge amount but a few. Im not sure what model years these were used but definitely from 2016 . Mine works but just wanted to give info on what worked in the past

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems to be the newer models that are commented on most often here. I'm thinking your older model worked fine and the new "improvements" messed up a perfectly fine item, either with a crap part or bad placement or both, or even something else.

It's much like the improvement of the cleanout tray drain tube that was eliminated in someone's new 19' but they didn't trot this out across the whole line.