• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Did I do something wrong?

captedit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So this evening I'm heading home on my 195S. I'm cruising 40 mph very close to the starboard side of the channel. Up ahead and about 200 feet toward the middle of the channel is a boat towing a tuber, coming from the opposite way. As I'm approaching them, the other boat makes a sharp left turn and looks like its going to cross my path. I remembered that boats coming from the starboard side on a crossing pattern have right of way, and since now I was the starboard side boat, I kept going, but got ready in case they didn't stop. Just then I could see the nose of the other boat drop as they cut throttle, so I kept going, so I never really had to slow down. Anyway, as I moved past them, some guy in the front of the other boat was angry and gave me a "WTF" arm wave, then flipped me the bird. I reciprocated in kind and kept going. My question, did I do something wrong? Don't think I did, as I figured this is a wide channel, and if your pulling tubes or whatever in the middle of the channel, they should be cognizant of boats travelling through.

One thing to consider first and foremost is to operate safely. The main rules are based on give way or stand on rules based on the type of boat etc. As an example sail boats have rights over power boats etc. It sounds like the other guy was turning in front of you due to tubing which isn't smart or safe but I think from a safety and consideration point of view I would have slowed down and let him do his thing. Safety and crash avoidance is the primary goal. You can't control what others do but you can just have a great day on the water. Just my thoughts.

Personally, I would have slowed down and given him the right of way to make his turn pulling the tube. Not that you were in the wrong based on boating rules.. I give courtesy even to those that are not too bright on the water, when I can. Would rather do that, than some ass hat creating a situation that either I hurt someone or causes and accident. I drive my boat like my car. Defensively at all times know I can't control all the stupid. I see alot of entitlement on the water as well.

If to be safe I am inconvenienced or annoyed, I just usually take that route and then move on enjoying my day.

I'm guessing he never saw you until he turned to starboard, and assumed you were coming into him. Focus was likely on his tuber, rather than his surroundings. People should have a spotter, but also realize their positioning - they don't have right-of-way over the complete channel.

Entitlement mentality on land turns into dangerous behavior in the water, and there may not be any state regs mandating a boating safety & regs course.

Also sounds like you might want to familiarize yourself with your state regs as well, just to help yourself in the event that some yahoo puts you in the position of having to explain yourself after the fact. Example of mine was some a-hole almost running up my ass at night when I was fully lit and all lights were working, and quickly being run aground as he wasn't turning to port and towards the center of the river. Douche had the gall to yell at me to "get the hell out of the way".

People see their behavior in the most positive light, and you are Satan's spawn to dare question them otherwise.

Personally, I would have slowed down and given him the right of way to make his turn pulling the tube. Not that you were in the wrong based on boating rules.. I give courtesy even to those that are not too bright on the water, when I can. Would rather do that, than some ass hat creating a situation that either I hurt someone or causes and accident. I drive my boat like my car. Defensively at all times know I can't control all the stupid. I see alot of entitlement on the water as well.

If to be safe I am inconvenienced or annoyed, I just usually take that route and then move on enjoying my day.

This is good advice, to follow the old saying "you can be right, or you can be dead right".

What good is a "win" when someone unreplaceable is lost?

This is good advice, to follow the old saying "you can be right, or you can be dead right".

What good is a "win" when someone unreplaceable is lost?
I see what you are saying, but rest assured I was NOT trying for a win, I thought I was following the rules, which only work if everyone abides them.

There is something to be said for being predictable... If you are the stand in boat and the other boat is the give way boat, they ought to expect you to continue your course and speed....

BUT if it becomes apparent they have no plans to adjust, it's to your benefit to maneuver so you are out of the way. (Or be prepared to do so, well before you have to execute emergency measures you rarely take) In the end, there are no winners in a collision.

Just yesterday I was returning to the marina and a boat was leaving the area and in the process of retrieving the fenders the driver abandoned the helm and the boat started to leave towards my area (but I was still a good 100 feet away). I immediately turned around, got out of the way and moved to hide well away of this loss of control. No points for being anywhere close to that mess. Happily returned once they had regained control.

So, No harm done, and I like that you already had an escape plan in mind, just be sure to execute well before any heroics are required to pull it off.

I see what you are saying, but rest assured I was NOT trying for a win, I thought I was following the rules, which only work if everyone abides them.

Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, my intent was to add on to @HangOutdoors post. I don't believe you were at fault here, only pointing out some guys who are rule followers even to the point of injury - @Beachbummer has a great example. If he were to stand his ground because he was right, neither side would have won.

Your point about everyone having to buy into proper procedures is correct, and it sounds like the other boater had little/no experience, or didn't want to look stupid thanks to his maneuvering

Last edited:
They were in the wrong, I would venture they didn't have a flag up either, and their captain should not be operating a vessel.

But runninng WOT 200 feet of a person in water is pushing legal boundries. I would have been really annoyed, and probably blasted the horn at them, but still would have slowed down.

My question, did I do something wrong?
No, sounds like you had the right of way.
Also they can not be tubing in a marked channel for boating traffic, that's contrary to the regulations.

Having said that, most boaters (90%) are idiots and are only concerned about themselves and what they're doing. Just like jetskiers...99% are idiots who don't care about anyone or anything else. I know another thread exists on this, but it's so common it needs to be said again. No wake zones are not a suggestion, it's a rule enforced by law.

Years ago, boaters were very courteous and respected one another, following the rules and regulations properly and ensuring safe operation of their vessel and assisting anyone in distress of any kind.

Today, it's a freaking free for all.

I honestly question how many of them have a boating permit/license and understand the regulations and navigation rules. I'm guessing 99% know the the rules, but the same 99% just don't give a F. It was bad before covid, but I've noticed during and post covid, it's gotten a lot worse. People just don't give a F about anyone or anything except themselves.

If only we could shoot stupid people on sight.
:)

I can see the source of the confusion. It is really distressing how many people have no idea of the rules of the road. That being said, I think, at least in Texas, you should give way to another boat that is towing a tuber, skier, wakeboarder, etc. Not positive about the reg, but that is my practice.

Back