• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Diesel to Gas? Should I do it?

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Last month I traded my 2016 Titan XD (Cummins) for the new Ram1500. I had a 2012 before the Titan and wish I kept it. The Titan was not as heavy-duty as your 2500, but more than the Ram1500. Regens is what was killing me, especially after the move to the Wilmington area. The Ram pulls just fine. Very happy with my decision. 1568903392813.png

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What was with the regens I was thinking of buying a diesel one I have the titan gas now.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do a bunch of research, Nissan sells have fallen hard over the last 3 years “ their truck segment” if you are set on one, you could prolly get a really good deal on one in late December.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
What was with the regens I was thinking of buying a diesel one I have the titan gas now.
My issue was that we moved from an area where I would drive 90% highway to an area where highway driving is less than 20%. Today's diesel vehicles need to be driven for an extended amount of time for the regen to complete. It could be anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes at highway speeds. I was having more and more incomplete regens, in the long run, this will ruin the whole EGR system. If you live in an area where you drive mostly highway you should be good to go, or you can always delete it :) However, all of the new diesel vehicles will have the same problem. Unless I'm going to be pulling some supper heavy load, I don't think I'll ever get a diesel again. Also, the maintenance is a PITA.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Do a bunch of research, Nissan sells have fallen hard over the last 3 years “ their truck segment” if you are set on one, you could prolly get a really good deal on one in late December.
Also, Titan XD (Cummins) is being discontinued. I can tell you that I loved the truck and never had any major issues. Just in my situation, the driving conditions did not work well with a diesel.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got a Ram 1500 after 40 years with Silverados. Last month they were giving them away. Big Horn, non leather, Hemi etc etc etc. $35,400 OUT THE DOOR. Already put 5000 miles on it. Couldn't be more pleased.

2019limitedS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ the 6.2L and heavy duty tow package here. I love it. Runs great, I get 22-24 on the highway, and 15ish in town. Pulled my 212 Limited S the other day 3 hours away in a fairly hilly area and got 11.5 mpg at 75mph going there and 14.5 mpg at 65 mph on the way home. Downfall I guess is the 93 octane fuel, but typically no more expensive than diesel.

Last edited:

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's been forever and a day since I've been on the site. Been busy with moving the last few months.

I ended up trading in my Ram 2500 due to electrical issues the dealer couldn't figure out.

Got a 2019 Sierra AT4 with the 6.2. This time I leased, so after 36 months if I don't like it, I can do something else instead of trying to hassle a trade. Didn't lose any money on my Ram, it held its' value pretty darn good.

It pulls really well, but I haven't pulled much, maybe 1 or 2 times due to being busy. My MPG in town and back and forth to work sit right now at about 17.8. Most of that drive is 50mph, with some 35mph short runs. I have not had a chance to get a highway mileage yet.

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is bad ass looking! My buddy bought a 2019 High Country in while like that. It looks like a Storm Trooper!

Enjoy!

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks!

I actually brought home a Highcountry the week before this just to test drive it for a day.

My wife said the smaller truck didn't fit me and I wouldn't be happy. Didn't even know the AT4 existed.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Smaller, that's funny. The AT4 is cool for sure. Is it a 2" factory lift? Or 4"?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, so here is a debate you can settle for me and my buddies. To be clear, this isn't a debate, as I think all the MFG's put out great trucks and nobody is making crap these days.

I have owned GMC for my past 3, and two Chevy's prior. And we all know they are 90% identical when comparing model to model. GMC does get the nod for using slightly different noise deadening, and suspension upgrades as well as trim options. And unless you look for them, the average guy will say they are identical, (unless they owned one)

From what I am hearing, my buddy that just bought a 2019 Chevy LTZ is he only got a trial of the Onstar Basic (which gives him the onstar keyfob mirror, for remote start and keyless entry from his phone) This may now be named MyChevrolet as mine is called MyGMC. My last 4 GM's I have beta tested and trialed and even given feedback to GM/Onstar about this and they have always given me Onstar basic, just for that feature alone. As the keyfob remote start has the range of a Nicad weed wacker on a 5 year old battery.

So the last three Sierras, I have had unlimited onstar basic for that purpose. It was the Onstar app for keyfob control, but then it changed to MyGMC app for the same purpose. I love it for sending addresses to my in dash nav from a copy/paste on the phone. They may have renamed it, so that it is less associated with Onstar, so that it could be given without an Onstar subscription.

He is telling me they stopped doing that and want to charge $17/month after the trial. Is that just a chevy thing? Or is that what you got with your new Sierra? I am going to be greatly disappointed if that is the case. And after leasing so many GM's with it, they will get some hard feedback. My dad's Buick is in the same boat with included onstar basic as well.

Good luck either way.

919Cummins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The AT4 is a 2" factory lift, supposed to be the same as the Chevy Trailboss, minus the 6.2 option in the GMC for 2019's. I hear and read that Chevy will be offering the 6.2 in the 2020 Trailboss though.

If my memory is correct (most of the time not) the Onstar is free for the 1st three months as is the satellite radio.

I wish I could retain the remote functions with the app without having Onstar. In my Ram, Uconnect was $150 a year, of you could beat them down tot $75 per year as I did for all remote functions without buying anything else.

I will say that after owing a 2015 Highcountry that the GMC feels "better" made. Same motors minus the trans as the 19 has the 10 speed. I will say, this transmission is by far better than the 8 speed that I had in my 15. The cylinder deactivation is much smoother in the newer ones too.

YamaPissed

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
From a macro perspective, the spread between diesel and gasoline is going to widen. A new rule from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) that comes out in 2020 is going to force ocean shipping companies (worldwide) to burn low sulfur fuel oil 100% of the time. Traditionally they had different fuel tanks and switched to high sulfur on the open ocean. This is going to cause refineries to run more distillate into fuel oil which competes with diesel production. I want a new ford powerstroke. I can afford it however I'm going to go the gas route because the underlying demand for diesel will widen the spread. I'll caveat all this with if we enter a tough economic situation, the spread probably won't widen quite as much. My two cents....

2019limitedS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, so here is a debate you can settle for me and my buddies. To be clear, this isn't a debate, as I think all the MFG's put out great trucks and nobody is making crap these days.

I have owned GMC for my past 3, and two Chevy's prior. And we all know they are 90% identical when comparing model to model. GMC does get the nod for using slightly different noise deadening, and suspension upgrades as well as trim options. And unless you look for them, the average guy will say they are identical, (unless they owned one)

From what I am hearing, my buddy that just bought a 2019 Chevy LTZ is he only got a trial of the Onstar Basic (which gives him the onstar keyfob mirror, for remote start and keyless entry from his phone) This may now be named MyChevrolet as mine is called MyGMC. My last 4 GM's I have beta tested and trialed and even given feedback to GM/Onstar about this and they have always given me Onstar basic, just for that feature alone. As the keyfob remote start has the range of a Nicad weed wacker on a 5 year old battery.

So the last three Sierras, I have had unlimited onstar basic for that purpose. It was the Onstar app for keyfob control, but then it changed to MyGMC app for the same purpose. I love it for sending addresses to my in dash nav from a copy/paste on the phone. They may have renamed it, so that it is less associated with Onstar, so that it could be given without an Onstar subscription.

He is telling me they stopped doing that and want to charge $17/month after the trial. Is that just a chevy thing? Or is that what you got with your new Sierra? I am going to be greatly disappointed if that is the case. And after leasing so many GM's with it, they will get some hard feedback. My dad's Buick is in the same boat with included onstar basic as well.

Good luck either way.
Just checked and yes I had 3 months free of on star but my 2018 GMC Sierra the phone app for unlocking and starting your truck still works. I recall them saying I got that for like 5 years I think.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Good luck either way.
On my dodge it’s free for the first year.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Good luck either way.
I bought my 2015 GMC Sierra used. I have keyfob access through the app. Can send destinations through the app. It was zero cost to me when I purchased 10/14/2017. Looks like it's good through 2021 as shown in the MyGMC page:

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's been forever and a day since I've been on the site. Been busy with moving the last few months.

I ended up trading in my Ram 2500 due to electrical issues the dealer couldn't figure out.

Got a 2019 Sierra AT4 with the 6.2. This time I leased, so after 36 months if I don't like it, I can do something else instead of trying to hassle a trade. Didn't lose any money on my Ram, it held its' value pretty darn good.

It pulls really well, but I haven't pulled much, maybe 1 or 2 times due to being busy. My MPG in town and back and forth to work sit right now at about 17.8. Most of that drive is 50mph, with some 35mph short runs. I have not had a chance to get a highway mileage yet.
I just traded the Duramax last night for the 1500 high country with the 6.2. I liked the duramax but we will prospectively towing in 2020 and beyond only a few times per year. I should have bought this truck in March, but I didn’t get hurt too bad on the deal in the end.

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went through a similar process trying to decide between diesel or gas.

I chose to go the Ram 1500 Hemi. My deciding factors:
-Interior of the Ram
I've had tons of vehicles. I've never had an interior so comfortable and functional.

-Fun factor
The Hemi is just plain fun. Loud, quick, and powerful

-Daily driving
I commute 20 miles total daily, and just couldn't see myself maneuvering the 2500 around downtown.

-Initial diesel cost + fuel cost
My CPA buddy did some magic math during the process and figured it would take me 100k+ miles to break even on the diesel. I don't keep vehicles that long.

-Ram Box
This seems like a stupid deciding factor until I test drove a Ram for a couple days. Holy crap these things are useful.

-Towing
We went with the Laramie and 3.92 ratio, so we have a big tow capacity. We were camper hunting at the time, and wanted to keep our options open on the larger units. Ended up with a smaller, lighter camper so it wasn't even necessary. Nice for peace of mind, tho.

I love my Ram so far. The only thing I would change is going with the lesser gear ratio to save a little fuel economy. The boat and small camper just don't need that much capacity.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I went through a similar process trying to decide between diesel or gas.

I chose to go the Ram 1500 Hemi. My deciding factors:
-Interior of the Ram
I've had tons of vehicles. I've never had an interior so comfortable and functional.

-Fun factor
The Hemi is just plain fun. Loud, quick, and powerful

-Daily driving
I commute 20 miles total daily, and just couldn't see myself maneuvering the 2500 around downtown.

-Initial diesel cost + fuel cost
My CPA buddy did some magic math during the process and figured it would take me 100k+ miles to break even on the diesel. I don't keep vehicles that long.

-Ram Box
This seems like a stupid deciding factor until I test drove a Ram for a couple days. Holy crap these things are useful.

-Towing
We went with the Laramie and 3.92 ratio, so we have a big tow capacity. We were camper hunting at the time, and wanted to keep our options open on the larger units. Ended up with a smaller, lighter camper so it wasn't even necessary. Nice for peace of mind, tho.

I love my Ram so far. The only thing I would change is going with the lesser gear ratio to save a little fuel economy. The boat and small camper just don't need that much capacity.
Great choice. I did as well.

IMG_20190922_141346517_HDR.jpg