1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Pipe Booster for improving wake

Discussion in 'Watersports' started by Mainah, Jan 2, 2019.

1. buckbuck

buckbuck Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,067 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    I am not going to miss one episode of this adventure. We Northerners appreciate you Southerners taking this on as winter howls outside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mainah

Mainah Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,803 / 20
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Appreciation is welcome but perhaps you will rethink that. Not even two years in the south and I just had to jump in the jacuzzi to warm up as it is ONLY 60 degrees here right now :cool:
    #DamnYankee

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. buckbuck

Ratings:
    +3,067 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    I work in the building trades and have been outside all winter. Once I retire I am moving to Texas and will become just like you.:)
    Really looking forward to what you guys can develop. It would be nice to have something that stows easily under a seat. And I share your desire not to have bags on the swim deck. Please remember to take pictures of it installed on the boat next time you are near it.

4. JayZ2012

JayZ2012 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Does anyone have a 3D printer? I would think that would give someone the opportunity to create a curved board that is all one piece. I'm just thinking that to get more water across the back, it should be larger than a single 3 inch pipe- and 4 inch pvc is typically not for pressure. Dual 3 inch PVC pipe is a good option, but it still loses a lot of water that could be routed around the back of the boat.

I've been thinking about crafting something out of wood initially and then possibly coating it in epoxy. Very interested in hearing how your trials go with PVC piping and what your results are. I'll post as well with anything that I can make happen. Glad we're working on this- I'm not ready to shell out 500-1000 for another product yet.

5. Mainah

Ratings:
    +2,803 / 20
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Anxious to see what you come up with. I don’t think the 3d print idea is cost or time effective with the amount of material and time needed, never mind the print bed size needed. Epoxy covered wood is interesting and for that mater wood core fiberglass. The nice part with the curved pipe is the inherent structure but the pipe may of course prove to be less effective than a curved plate.

6. ttzz

ttzz Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +505 / 10
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Yeah it may not prove be as affective as a curved plate but regardless it is still very interesting from the standpoint of the DIY'er because of the simplicity of construction for anyone with limited fabricating skill sets, as well as the low cost to build and experiment with.

7. swatski

swatski Jetboaters Fleet Admiral

Ratings:
    +9,004 / 136
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I just love that curved pipe idea, what can I say, lol. I see it not only as a stand alone that would be awesome, but also as an "enhancer" to (my) current (kick a$$) setup (w/Gatlin parts). Shooting water from the side to the non-surf side would boost the wake AND force counter-steer to boost it some more.

I'm not good at designing things but I just found out that I do have access to a high end laser cutting and water jet cutting and aluminum welding etc. facility at my own institution, or so I'm told by some trainees in our residency programs who are dubbing in various startup facilities here. So, I could potentially be helpful and as always - I'm willing to run tests in the water.

--

8. swatski

Ratings:
    +9,004 / 136
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I'm super interested in this topic as we are at a point where, if we decide to get a new boat in the next year or so, the "wake surf-ability" would be one of the key factors in a purchasing decision.

The Wedge has proven itself to be quite formidable.
    It hits just the right way. Here, if you look at the wave coming out of it and compare it directly with dedicated surf boats - it is just crazy how good the Wedge works (when properly setup).
    Just take a look at this:
    upload_2019-1-7_11-17-33.png upload_2019-1-7_11-17-42.png

But, of course for the Wedge to work like this^^^ the boat needs a serious list and the swim deck needs to be pushed down hard. And there are times I would be fine with a wave half the size IF I could do it w/no extra bags.

--

9. Jgorm

Jgorm Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +645 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Can you post a picture of it on the boat? I like the idea.

10. Mainah

Ratings:
    +2,803 / 20
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Hopefully this weekend ai will be able to post photos of the sounle stack version on the boat with the improved retention mechanism.

• Like Like x 1
  11. djetok

djetok Jet Boat Junkie

Ratings:
    +977 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    Could neoprene work to make it fit tighter to the hull.

12. Wisefam22

Wisefam22 Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +327 / 7
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    I have been replacing transducer so under boat a lot over weekend and today. I realized why the wake booster was only for certain year models. I dont think there is enough room to mount even a DIY booster but I'll give it a try for 20bucks.

20190108_190354.jpg

13. Mainah

Ratings:
    +2,803 / 20
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    It will need careful measurements for the plate and the pipe will need to stick out to the side more but I think it will work.

14. Wisefam22

Wisefam22 Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +327 / 7
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    What I was gonna try, like said $20 so even if it fails it's not spending tons.

15. COtoFLsurf

COtoFLsurf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 3
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    It's been blowing a bit here so have not been out on the water, but here is my first shot at a Mainahbooster and DIY Wakebooster. Mainah's pipe was a 3" elbow with the flange end cut off, so still a big angle. I used 4" pipe and chose a gentler angle that closely resembles the Wakebooster curvature. For DIY Wakebooster, I used some available rubber mat (no surprise, right!?) which is heavy duty but compliant enought to fit the curvature. For the connection, I really like Yamaha's approach and was able to craft something similar by cutting off one leg of a deep-throat clamp (this worked ridiculously well ...). Here are some teaser pics, next pics will be on the water. Just a couple initial hacks, but fingers crossed.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. buckbuck

Ratings:
    +3,067 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Brilliant @COtoFLsurf
    We are expecting pictures and video of both proof of concept. But please repair that chunk of gelcoat missing.:)

17. AlphaKap

AlphaKap Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +127 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242 Limited S E-Series
    Boat Length:
    The hacked clamp is pretty brilliant. Very creative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. swatski

Ratings:
    +9,004 / 136
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Fantastic!
    Looking forward to your reporting, this is so cool.

--

19. Robo

Robo Active Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Cant wait for you to get this dialed in so i can copy your final work lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wisefam22

Wisefam22 Jet Boat Lover

Ratings:
    +327 / 7
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    So the wakebooster is patent pending still.. I took it off the 242x at ATL show and noticed that sticker.

20190112_111527.jpg 20190112_111455.jpg 20190112_111439.jpg 20190112_111434.jpg

• Love It Love It x 1