• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Pipe Booster for improving wake

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife said, what are you doing, I replied getting my hands on this thing.

It's very light, thin metal maybe 1/4 inch

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This a member here?

D6368597-8485-4A8B-9043-153B58EFF739.png

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

geohil

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stuart is a sales rep for River City Boats in Portland Oregon (Aurora). He sold me my boat and I know he surfs with @bobbie on occasion. Be nice to see his video.

Edit* His video is up.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Mainah @COtoFLsurf
Any updates on the wake booster projects. I haven't seen my grass since Christmas and I am depending on you guys to keep me dreaming about warmer days.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah @COtoFLsurf
Any updates on the wake booster projects. I haven't seen my grass since Christmas and I am depending on you guys to keep me dreaming about warmer days.
Weather and wrestling season have not cooperated with me. Then I saw those 275 swim up seats and am likely going to redesign the mounting for the diy booster. That means that this may be outside most DIY capabilities. I think I have landed on a custom fabricated/welded aluminum receiver for the swim up seats that will double as the receiver for a cross between a booster and wedge also custom aluminum fabricated/welded. I promise to take a photo of what I have now mounted to the boat before I start changing things. I don't know that my current version will see any real testing as it likely won't fit once I have added the receivers mentioned above and my wife is demanding all work be done before going back into the water. I have bit off a lot too. Replacing all SeaDek, adding an amp and tower speakers, fabricating the swim up seats, wake booster project, adding neodymium latches for the rear seat backs, adding gas struts for all of the flip up seats, possible led lighting project, and I am sure there is something I am forgetting. I won't even have time to start any of it for another 10 days due to family visiting and can only hope for good weather once my schedule clears.

I can do all of the aluminum cutting myself but currently only have a flux core mig welder so I am going to get a quote on tig welding up all of the aluminum pieces. If that quote is higher than I like I may just end up buying pricey TIG welder and ruin a few electrodes/rods before dialing in my bead.

Hopefully others have made progress.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Weather and wrestling season have not cooperated with me. Then I saw those 275 swim up seats and am likely going to redesign the mounting for the diy booster. That means that this may be outside most DIY capabilities. I think I have landed on a custom fabricated/welded aluminum receiver for the swim up seats that will double as the receiver for a cross between a booster and wedge also custom aluminum fabricated/welded. I promise to take a photo of what I have now mounted to the boat before I start changing things. I don't know that my current version will see any real testing as it likely won't fit once I have added the receivers mentioned above and my wife is demanding all work be done before going back into the water. I have bit off a lot too. Replacing all SeaDek, adding an amp and tower speakers, fabricating the swim up seats, wake booster project, adding neodymium latches for the rear seat backs, adding gas struts for all of the flip up seats, possible led lighting project, and I am sure there is something I am forgetting. I won't even have time to start any of it for another 10 days due to family visiting and can only hope for good weather once my schedule clears.

I can do all of the aluminum cutting myself but currently only have a flux core mig welder so I am going to get a quote on tig welding up all of the aluminum pieces. If that quote is higher than I like I may just end up buying pricey TIG welder and ruin a few electrodes/rods before dialing in my bead.

Hopefully others have made progress.
Nice modification plans, as usual! Color me interested for how you rig up the neodymium latches.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice modification plans, as usual! Color me interested for how you rig up the neodymium latches.
Pretty simple on the latches. The magnets are already nickel plated and have psa strips so just peel and stick. Going to take quite a few but the factory latches tick me off regularly.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going to take quite a few but the factory latches tick me off regularly.
Me too, especially when they half latch and you have to pry it out before you can close. Stupid things.

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah @COtoFLsurf
We have only been out a couple times but wife wanted to ride and was in no mood to spend flat-water time testing. So, no further progress to report yet, sorry!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just thinking about this project since we are forecasted to have temps above freezing next week...do you think there would be a benefit to aiming the discharge of the pipe directly at the jet stream. Current renditions appear to be pointing above the jet stream.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finally got part of a day to do some mods on the boat. Mounted my new tower speakers, added an amp and pulled all of the wire. Ran out of time to tune the amps before I had to put her away. I did remeber to take these photos as I was hitching up thanks to @buckbuck earlier post. Ignore the trailer tounge pin as that was just the quickest thing I had as I was trying to beat a severe storm. To @buckbuck point with angle I had aleeady thought the same thing amd have an upper and lower angel with the bottom pointing directly across the jet stream. With things not working in my favor as far as time and weather I may just finish and test this first edition. I can comfirm that the tie down is not reinforced from the inside beyond some washers. I am going to reinforce from the inside with some 1/4 aluminum. I also going to drill and tap some 1/4 aluminum for my planned swim seats as an inner backing plate. Will template on the outer hull then put it into place on the inside for that.
0D7F216D-85C4-4EE2-9ACE-5125C4DD3F7E.jpeg64A78709-C0F4-427E-B526-887300C8B415.jpegB1E8463F-FD4F-4E32-8988-5D16A534B01F.jpeg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally got part of a day to do some mods on the boat. Mounted my new tower speakers, added an amp and pulled all of the wire. Ran out of time to tune the amps before I had to put her away. I did remeber to take these photos as I was hitching up thanks to @buckbuck earlier post. Ignore the trailer tounge pin as that was just the quickest thing I had as I was trying to beat a severe storm. To @buckbuck point with angle I had aleeady thought the same thing amd have an upper and lower angel with the bottom pointing directly across the jet stream. With things not working in my favor as far as time and weather I may just finish and test this first edition. I can comfirm that the tie down is not reinforced from the inside beyond some washers. I am going to reinforce from the inside with some 1/4 aluminum. I also going to drill and tap some 1/4 aluminum for my planned swim seats as an inner backing plate. Will template on the outer hull then put it into place on the inside for that.
View attachment 88886View attachment 88887View attachment 88888
Very exciting!
How are you accessing the U-bolt on the inside for reinforcments? The remote hole? Or do you have 8ft arms?
(We know you are fit, didn't realize you also have a contortionist's streak, lol.)

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very exciting!
How are you accessing the U-bolt on the inside for reinforcments? The remote hole? Or do you have 8ft arms?
(We know you are fit, didn't realize you also have a contortionist's streak, lol.)

--
Sadly I am in the worse shape I have been in many years. Yes the remote hole is how I confirmed. I wonder if there is a hole behind the table mount or if could be reaxhed through the cupholder.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sadly I am in the worse shape I have been in many years. Yes the remote hole is how I confirmed. I wonder if there is a hole behind the table mount or if could be reaxhed through the cupholder.
I think that would be really tough, I would have to look at it again, last time I considered that was when I was mounting the trim tabs (ended up going with screws with no extra enforcement/backing).
The access there would probably require dedicated cutouts, on top of the swim deck, covered with mini-hatch covers I suppose. It could be neat and probably wouldn’t compromise anything structurally, being on top of swim deck, I’m thinking maybe 10 inch in diameter or less. But I don’t now.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think that would be really tough, I would have to look at it again, last time I considered that was when I was mounting the trim tabs (ended up going with screws with no extra enforcement/backing).
The access there would probably require dedicated cutouts, on top of the swim deck, covered with mini-hatch covers I suppose. It could be neat and probably wouldn’t compromise anything structurally, being on top of swim deck, I’m thinking maybe 10 inch in diameter or less. But I don’t now.

I put my hand on the the nuts for the tie downs reach through the remote hole so reinforcing that will be pretty easy with a high tooth count ratchet. As for my other plan for the seats that will be more difficult. My plan there is to ise the bilge access and a 1/16 aluminum flat bar tacked to the end of the plate to slip it into position. Getting it lined up with the pre drilled holes will be a pain but I think it can be done. I am not sure reinforcement is even needed with the way I have designed for either mod but I don’t want to take the chance.