• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Pipe Booster for improving wake

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Could also double or triple stack the HDPE before through bolting. Maybe cut one at a 20-30° angle to force the pipe to point down into the water? Wish I had more time to experiment on my own. My wife says I would have more time if I didn’t spend so much time here...

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is my issue it will be a week or two before I get more time to invest

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Oh no! That thread gave me the best 20mins of the last few days and was looking forward to seeing the updates... Did any of you have success with your DIY? @Mainah , @swatski , @Robo

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh no! That thread gave me the best 20mins of the last few days and was looking forward to seeing the updates... Did any of you have success with your DIY? @Mainah , @swatski , @Robo
We have used @jcyamaharider wake wedge - I believe it is the best.
We usually do not switch sides, all our kids are naturally regular, not goofy, riders (that's what we tell them, anyway, lol).

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have done fine tuning and it does work for us. We have used it frequently for two seasons now. Short pocket is main concern. I believe the wake wedge to work the best on the models that it is made for.

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I plan on replicating Mainah’s plan but possibly adding an angled deflector (steel bracket?) on the front side of the pipe next to the water intake. This would basically protect the pipe a bit but mainly I thought it could help to angle the water behind the pipe downward at an angle similar to a wake wedge. Any other mods that make sense?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I plan on replicating Mainah’s plan but possibly adding an angled deflector (steel bracket?) on the front side of the pipe next to the water intake. This would basically protect the pipe a bit but mainly I thought it could help to angle the water behind the pipe downward at an angle similar to a wake wedge. Any other mods that make sense?
I would be very interested in results. I dare say mine still works better than most other options save for the wedge by gatlin. I think the gatlin design displaces/diverts/cleans more volume/area and that is why it works so well. A hybrid design would be very interesting. Be careful not to go so far as to rip off the tie down.

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be very interested in results. I dare say mine still works better than most other options save for the wedge by gatlin. I think the gatlin design displaces/diverts/cleans more volume/area and that is why it works so well. A hybrid design would be very interesting. Be careful not to go so far as to rip off the tie down.
Can you clarify why you had to deform the pex?

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll report back once tested. I’m wondering about somehow attaching two suction cups to take some pressure off the hook and to stabilize it. I want to test the direction of the second pipe and then I’ll glue it. I used an ikea cutting board and pvc downspout material. Hoping it’s strong enough but ultimately I just want to confirm this works and could then build something more rigid. Caveat, I’ve never wake boarded or wake surfed but want to try wake surfing with the family as we often have a boat full of people.

Attachments

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can you clarify why you had to deform the pex?
Deformed from original to match what was left of the inner reveal of the tie down ring once mounted. I question if the plastic gutter material you choose will be rigid enough.

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Deformed from original to match what was left of the inner reveal of the tie down ring once mounted. I question if the plastic gutter material you choose will be rigid enough.
Got it. Well it seemed to be working alright but the green cutting board snapped… a clean line following where the bolts were secured. Didn’t expect that to be my issue but I guess I really do need to go with some hdpe, but not sure where to get that.

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I ordered a sheet but I have a new idea! I’m going to try through bolting to a vacuum suction glass lifter. I saw someone do this for a side mount wake shaper, and I’m thinking why couldn’t I do it instead of using the hook method? It would allow me to skip the hdpe sheet and go right to the pipe, amd then gives me more ability to reposition the pipe. It would sit a little deeper in the water but I imagine that will only improve the flow.

Kaisiking Heavy Duty Aluminum Glass Suction Cup Glass Puller Tile Suction Cup Lifter Floor Suction Cup Floor Gap Fixer for Lifting and Moving Glass, Floor, Window, Tile, Granite, Doors Amazon.com: Kaisiking Heavy Duty Aluminum Glass Suction Cup Glass Puller Tile Suction Cup Lifter Floor Suction Cup Floor Gap Fixer for Lifting and Moving Glass, Floor, Window, Tile, Granite, Doors: Home Improvement

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll report back once tested. I’m wondering about somehow attaching two suction cups to take some pressure off the hook and to stabilize it. I want to test the direction of the second pipe and then I’ll glue it. I used an ikea cutting board and pvc downspout material. Hoping it’s strong enough but ultimately I just want to confirm this works and could then build something more rigid. Caveat, I’ve never wake boarded or wake surfed but want to try wake surfing with the family as we often have a boat full of people.
I would be putting large fender washers on both sides of the gutters to help disperse the weight.

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
I don't think you need to stack them. I built mine and it works great single 3" PVC pipe. Think you are just causing more load on the mount. The key to the stream devices is to push the jet wash over so you clean up the face. It won't add any size so more water kicking over might hinder the wave.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There have been a couple of requests to see my current version. I cut things down quite a bit and tweaked some compound inlet and outlet angles. I possibly cut down too far but if so not by much.

I know there will be questions about the wires that got picked up in the below photos. They are a custom run for the swim deck bag pump. In the photos it is capped with sealed DT connector. I just remove the cap and plug the pump (custom connector on that too) in to fill the bag. The back nylon strap is to hold the bag on.

099A9FA9-2E71-4DB4-9E95-F11087E8A244.jpeg06A14FD2-88F9-4C30-8379-A923A3EF68D1.jpeg4713E7EA-47DA-487E-81EE-D33005363777.jpeg0912049B-C14D-457E-8E8B-6A48BA82A0DE.jpeg

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a lot of hope for this setup after seeing all of the wake shaper DIYs using these vacuum suctions but it comes off every single time. I can’t imagine the force is more than 150 lbs? It holds really firm but seems to slide off when we start moving past 5 mph. I guess I’ll go back to the hdpe sheet and hook method

Attachments