• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Pipe Booster for improving wake

Chris Miller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m super confused on how this is mounting, posdible to post so,e pics of it mounted to the boat? TIA!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m super confused on how this is mounting, posdible to post so,e pics of it mounted to the boat? TIA!
U-bolt (tie down) under the corner of the swim platform. Similar to yamaha booster. Wake wedge uses the U-bolt, too.

--

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where did you see the side by side video of the wake booster?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are a few photos earlier in the thread. One just using a pin to take the photo quickly and then another with my rudimentary diy slide bolt lever cam. My mounting options are limited because I added trim tabs and reaching under and around the pipes to slide a pin in and get it both tight and retained was rather difficult. This is what prompted me to make a mechanical mechanism. If the pipes can be in front of the tie down other ways will work without the hassle of building that mechanism. All that said super happy with how quick and easy that makes it.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not to change the subject, but do you think if you use suction handle to the bottom side of swim deck and a piece of Starboard perpendicular to the swim deck but angled back 45° would push enough water into the jet

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to change the subject, but do you think if you use suction handle to the bottom side of swim deck and a piece of Starboard horizontal to the swim deck but angled back 45° would push enough water into the jet
That sounds a bit like a trim tab but mounted higher and further back. No idea but hope to see you try it.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was thinking about the starboard perpendicular to swim deck not horizontal. Idk why I typed that

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to change the subject, but do you think if you use suction handle to the bottom side of swim deck and a piece of Starboard perpendicular to the swim deck but angled back 45° would push enough water into the jet
Sounds like Scarab SurfStream?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Seems like the problem of trying something without a curve is if you position it to catch enough water it won't redirect it in the right place. If you instead position it to redirect water to the right place it won't be in position to catch enough water. Which is why SurfStream, Yamaha Wake Booster, and the "Mainah Booster" are all curved.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guess yall answered my question. I have piece of starboard at home so might mess around with it anyways. I was thinking long from side of boat at 45° back towards jets. Your correct it probably wont move the water enough with a curve or scoop persay.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like Scarab SurfStream?

Idk anything about that. With what mainah has been working in and a wakeqedge sponsored ad popping into my social media feed I was wondering could you change the suction cup on that and suction to bottom to push water into jets.

The water is still 57° let's have some warm weather to heat it up I'm ready

Robo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So one pipe is not enough but 2 is to many depending on the tube angle ?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Two is likely just right once the angled/curved
/cut down just right. Will know more once I try surfing behind it with and without ballast on the swim platform. The water just needs to warm up.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Idk anything about that. With what mainah has been working in and a wakeqedge sponsored ad popping into my social media feed I was wondering could you change the suction cup on that and suction to bottom to push water into jets.

The water is still 57° let's have some warm weather to heat it up I'm ready
Some of that had been DIY prototyped in Yamaha and posted in a different thread, with mixed results. Kind of showing what you are saying though.
I’m a terrible judge of thread etiquette, so if putting this information here is not appropriate just let me know I will delete all my posts here on anything but @Mainah DIY device. I always struggle with these questions in open discussion threads, as I get excited about these things - surfing!!!!! Please advise.
And pardon my at times completely maladroit judgment!! If it shows, lol.

I
With all the discussion of the Yamaha new Surf Point and Scarab Surf Stream etc. - I needed to try the idea of deflecting jet stream/wash with water pushed across in order to smooth the wake surface.

THE CONCEPT
Well, the concept is very attractive - it relies on a scooper/caper/deflector-like device that would be mounted on the SURF SIDE - pushing water across the swim platform - to deflect the jet wash and smooth out the wake surface.
Importantly, such a device would at the same time force a surf side turn, therefore necessitating a counter-steering effort - which would point the nozzles away from the surf side - precisely what one would intend to do to smooth out the wake surface.

At least - that's the theory.

A PROTOTYPE
I built a couple of prototypes and ended up actually testing one. That one ended up bearing uncanny resemblance to the Scarab Surf Stream system, I think, - albeit I have never seen one in person and there are no publicly available clips of one in action - that I know of.

So, here it is:
The burn marks are just from grinding the screws, this is done in marine plywood with internal reinforcements. The construction is strong enough to survive testing at speeds below 20mph (I did not want to make it too strong, as I was not certain what kind of forces I will be dealing with)
View attachment 66969

The overall size is a big larger than the Scarab attachment it resembles, but the angles are similar - judging from what I could find posted elsewhere:
View attachment 66970View attachment 66971
View attachment 66972

THE TEST
For the purpose of my initial "proof of concept" type of testing - I used only 800lbs of ballast - one bag filled in the rear strbd compartment - surf side (goofy):
View attachment 66973

I could have probably filled more ballast as I was alone and 800lbs is not much for these boats, but figured I can get a general idea if the device is working, and if the concept is worth pursuing further.

I ran around at various speeds, going strait or turning in large circles of varying radius etc.
Here are a couple of short clips:
Shot at different speeds - 9, 10, and 11 mph - pretty much covering the wake surfing range we use - typically 10.5mph (depending on the load and conditions).

THE OBSERVATIONS
Well, I think the concept has potential, but would need a lot of tweaking. The way I see it - it will be difficult to design a scooper/"caper" actually capable of throwing water across the jets hard enough to deflect the jet stream and create a wake surface that's surfable.

The main issue is - this type of device would need to be complemented with the Wake Wedge, but it is not readily compatible with it.

THE VERDICT
For now - and in foreseeable future - I do not see this concept being competitive with (@jcyamaharider and @ar240owner's) Wake Wedge. Leave alone trying to dethrone the Wedge, LOL.

I'm about to throw in the towel as far as my wake surfing mods...!

:cool:

--
One idea that we can chuck away is using any of those, lol.
View attachment 90352
(Tip: those do not hold up very well under a plywood knockoff SurfStream - Scarab like device :shy:). Lolol
View attachment 90353

Now, the trim tab attachment idea is legit I think, to allow for varying the angle of @Mainah device. Also drag on the surf side permits sweeping more water away due to the compensatory turn of the nozzles (incidentally, also main reason why delayed convergence gates don’t work with jet boats)

Attaching your device @Mainah to the tab of course would be easy for you.

Come to think of it, I had that little beast on the wrong side of the boat when I was testing the convergence idea...! :rolleyes:
View attachment 90354
View attachment 90355
https://jetboaters.net/threads/trim-tabs-options-wake-surfing-and-cruising.12031/page-6#post-216849

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah great stuff, and appears to be consistent with the first videos coming out with the official Wake Booster. Summer of 2019 will be the year everyone gets these things really dialed-in!

BTW, apologize to all for lack of progress after posting my devices and test plans earlier in this thread, shut-down that project as we decided to get back into a dedicated wakeboat.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah great stuff, and appears to be consistent with the first videos coming out with the official Wake Booster. Summer of 2019 will be the year everyone gets these things really dialed-in!

BTW, apologize to all for lack of progress after posting my devices and test plans earlier in this thread, shut-down that project as we decided to get back into a dedicated wakeboat.
ugggh, sorry to hear that, loved the ingenuity you brought with the mud flap,

start a new thread and give us an update with the new boat, would love to see what you end up with,