• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs - options - wake surfing (and cruising)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We may need a dedicated @swatski completed 242 mods section. Sound proofing, trim tabs, wake flap, soon to be stereo mods, soon to be perfect pass, I am sure I am missing a few too. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just talked with Dan at Lectrotabs, what a super knowledgeable and nice guy. My setup is pretty standard, nothing like @swatski or @Bruce has but I did have some questions that he answered. I'm going with 12x12 standard tabs with standard actuators and the automatic leveling controller (ALC-1). I should have the parts by mid-next week and hope to have them installed the following week. Maybe this addition will allow we me keep up with @1948Isaac.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just talked with Dan at Lectrotabs, what a super knowledgeable and nice guy. My setup is pretty standard, nothing like @swatski or @Bruce has but I did have some questions that he answered. I'm going with 12x12 standard tabs with standard actuators and the automatic leveling controller (ALC-1). I should have the parts by mid-next week and hope to have them installed the following week. Maybe this addition will allow we me keep up with @1948Isaac.
Awesome! There are several reasons to go Lectrotab, and Dan is one of those.
I don't want to speak for him but when I recently met @rocknracing, he was kind enough to explain few things to me that made me even happier about going that route. He runs an electronics business and knows more about actuators than I ever will.

--

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Awesome! There are several reasons to go Lectrotab, and Dan is one of those.
I don't want to speak for him but when I recently met @rocknracing, he was kind enough to explain few things to me that made me even happier about going that route. He runs an electronics business and knows more about actuators than I ever will.

--
Your experience and Bruce's experience was a strong reason I went with Lectrotabs and so far extremely happy I did, thanks for blazing the trail.

Last edited:

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lol.... nice @Andy S thats the same size of tabs that i have ... post some pic when you get them install. They will make a huge difference

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One feature of the trim tabs that we have not discussed is that you can fully trim out and run flat at dolphin speed.

IMG_0595.JPG

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick update on the tabs in action. No sharks or dolphins in the Mississippi to brag about, sorry!
But - wanted to report on a very successful "stress test" of my new custom tabs. If I had any concerns about those holding up under pressure, I've been reassured! But - you be the judge - read on.

As a part of my pursuit of various novel wake surfing enhancements for Yamahas, I tested a trim tab attachment/mod prototype affectionately called "The Beast". Here it is:

As you can imagine, The Beast puts a lot of drag behind the boat!

When partially deployed (about a third of the range down)

it helped create a crazy looking wake behind the boat that was very lightly ballasted:

This is NOT to say, The Beast is it for surfing. It is not, it is just a prototype (with a lot of potential, and definitely made the cut for mods to be further tested).

But here is the important part: after playing with the beast-moded tabs, fully deployed at times, for a good part of the day, absolutely nothing came loose or showing any need of attention.

I would say my tab install has passed a stress test.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW - The Beast is inspired by GSA tab design that has worked in many different hulls:

Problem is, those can only be used under 15mph, beyond that automatically retract - not good for cruising.

--

Scott Semlow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was wondering if you have a parts list and part numbers for the trim tabs

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering if you have a parts list and part numbers for the trim tabs
Of course! Here you go (please consider my pricing might have been special as this was all custom built):
upload_2017-8-27_0-37-38.png

At the risk of sounding immodest, these are probably about the best you can design and mount in a 2015+ 240.
upload_2017-8-27_0-43-43.png
upload_2017-8-27_0-43-23.png

Please contact Dan Roberts or Claibourne Jackson (cjackson@lectrotab.com) at Lectrotab, a fantastic team to work with!

upload_2017-8-27_0-36-5.png

--

Scott Semlow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank You for getting back to me so quickly. I was wondering if you wish that you would have gone with the longer actuators or if they would even fit. I would also like to know how do you like your placement of the controls, I was originally thinking about mounting them below the throttles before I saw your build.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank You for getting back to me so quickly. I was wondering if you wish that you would have gone with the longer actuators or if they would even fit. I would also like to know how do you like your placement of the controls, I was originally thinking about mounting them below the throttles before I saw your build.
@Scott Semlow I must admit to spending ridiculous amount of time researching and designing/installing this particular trim tab set. But it did pay off. Those work crazy good.
I would insist that every detail of this install is important. The actuators and distances are calculated for max range with what can fit in that crazy transom, where virtually nothing is completely strait. Those tabs are also not interfering with surf wake - important consideration if you are into water sports. The taper (up) is also on purpose - flared up to not interfere with high speed or turns.

The effectiveness is so high I rarely deploy 100%. When crossing in rough water I must be careful not to stuff the bow, such is the effectiveness of the those tabs. On the other hand, I can steer the boat with those tabs without touching the steering wheel , and the MCL controller is FANTASTIC. THe best of both worlds, being basically a semi-auto. As for the placement, I like to be able to access the controller without moving my arm too much. I like the placement I have for very easy reach between the throttles and the tab control.

As for durability, I have no concerns. We took some beating on the way to Bimini this year and had a bunch of factory parts got loose, not a slightest issue with the tabs.

--

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
if you buy a standard trim tabs say 9 x 12 and a indicator control w/o auto level you can get trim tabs around $600 or less.

but yes if you want the custom actuators & tabs, Swatski's is pretty fair pricing i'd say.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
12x12, with standard actuator, oval control $710 delivered

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Older hull, but I love having Lectrotab trim tabs on my Yamaha. 12 x 12 tabs bent down with mlc-1 controller. Benifit is control over uneven loading and higher ride quality in the chop. Once you have ridden in a Yamaha with them, you will want them, should be stock equipment on the longer hull lenghts.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Older hull, but I love having Lectrotab trim tabs on my Yamaha. 12 x 12 tabs bent down with mlc-1 controller. Benifit is control over uneven loading and higher ride quality in the chop. Once you have ridden in a Yamaha with them, you will want them, should be stock equipment on the longer hull lenghts.
I agree with you. Now wont that be something if the new boats get them. Either way I'm ready to install mine this winter. Just nervous about it all as I hate drilling in the hull.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@FloJet I get it, I was a bit hesitant at first on my 10 y.o. boat never mind a new one. But it all went well because of the information I learned from this site and @Bruce 's installation documented here. @swatski 's installation is also VERY well documented and should give confidence when placing that drill. Measure twice or maybe even three times, drill once. You will love the ride with them.

Last edited:

myblueheaven305

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I finished a major part of the install and (I think) it went well! It was a bit nerve-wracking as this design is pretty much THE EXACT FIT on so many levels...LOL. I still need to run the cables/ install the controller but when run off of a spare battery the whole set-up seems to work as designed!

Now, I'm anxious about water testing, but in reality there is not much that I would be willing to change. Really the space of the transom/swim deck and their contours give very little design freedom, and there is only that much size-wise I would install there (safely).

I''l post all the install details and more pics when done, but I won't be able to work on it this week.
But - there is progress - here is the evidence !

Retracted vs deployed:
View attachment 50874

View attachment 50875

EDIT: more details to follow, but note that in fully retracted position the tabs' upper surface touches the rim of the actuator's ram. These are the shortest actuators available - to afford maximum upward angle possible in these boats, and also to not obstruct anything connected to or going through/across transom U-bolts/hookups.
These tabs will be completely out of the water at speed and should help list the boat but not obstruct the wake on the surf side. That is the idea, anyway!

--[/QUOTE

Did you have your Trim Tabs Installed when you went to Bimini & Exhuma?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have your Trim Tabs Installed when you went to Bimini & Exhuma?
Yes (Bimini, never gone to the Exhumas, yet).
The tabs showed no damage or visible wear of any kind after the trip. Use them basically all the time, everytime I'm on the water.
In very high seas/waves one need to be mindful of "stuffing" the bow, these tabs are very efficient. I almost never deploy them 100%, about 30% is all I need in most conditions.
I have used them when deployed 100% only to come up on plane with some insane ballast loads, when testing various mods for wake surfing. I still sometimes use the tabs to get up on plane quickly (when ballasted heavily), and then retract.

--