• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DJI Mavic Drone

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just found some info online that may help you. Check this out:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-96290-1-1.html

I am going to fly mine again today and pay more attention to focus.
Thanks, I watched the video and a few others but don't want to nor do I think I should have to calibrate the gimbal and/or Imu before every flight.

Here is a short compilation of clips I took this past July 4th weekend, a lot of it blurry . Some footage was shot via advanced flight modes, most without / manually.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks, I watched the video and a few others but don't want to nor do I think I should have to calibrate the gimbal and/or Imu before every flight.

Here is a short compilation of clips I took this past July 4th weekend, a lot of it blurry . Some footage was shot via advanced flight modes, most without / manually.

Oh I agree completely there, I was specifically referring to this post about manipulating the focus though:
P3P has a "fixed focus camera", meaning there's only one fixed focus-distance which covers most used thanks to the big depth-of-field in small sensor cameras.

To use Mavic the same way as your P3P, turn Continuous AF off and focus on something a few meters away just after start (4-5 meters should be fine, a bit closer will probably also work) and just KEEP the focus there. The camera in Mavic also have a very big depth-of-field, and a focus-distance of 4-5m should cover everything you normally need to have in focus including the horizon.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I just watched your video and wow, I think there might be something wrong with yours. Mine isn't like that at all.

Even at about the 1:45 mark where you got close to the front of the moving boat it was completely out of focus. In fact I don't see a single shot there, including the photo at the end, that was acceptable or even remotely in focus.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just watched your video and wow, I think there might be something wrong with yours. Mine isn't like that at all.

Even at about the 1:45 mark where you got close to the front of the moving boat it was completely out of focus. In fact I don't see a single shot there, including the photo at the end, that was acceptable or even remotely in focus.
Disclaimer. . . . my ONLY experience flying and filming with a Drone is with the Mavic Pro as it is my first drone. The stuff you are talking about has not been my experience at all. I don't use any advanced features or manual adjustments and leave everything automated and have had pretty good results with video quality. I will try to upload some vids and post for reference soon. Got some good surfing shots behind my buddies boat.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I completely agree and was hitting the auto focus button a lot, especially while taking stills. This thing and all the accessories for it will be up for sale or trade soon.

It just sucks to charge it, bring it, fly it/risk it only to get crappy footage and pics.

I just need to figure out what to replace it with, if anything. Maybe the p4pro, spark or air dog. Nothing I've seen so far has great close up tracking or follow me functions and the dji products are speed limited when these functions are in use. I'd like to be able to get close up footage at high speed but with the drone flying itself instead me doing it.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm sure it is frustrating. I never brought my Phantoms on the boat because the carrying case I had was enormous.

The Spark looks nice but I'd be concerned about stability in wind. I'm sure the range is plenty over open water.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sure it is frustrating. I never brought my Phantoms on the boat because the carrying case I had was enormous.

The Spark looks nice but I'd be concerned about stability in wind. I'm sure the range is plenty over open water.
the spark is great for a novice like you ;) LOL

Seriously though, the spark shouldnt be really controlled on a plane !

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

You are a baller man... give me one of your paychecks ;) PLEASE LOL

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You are a baller man... give me one of your paychecks ;) PLEASE LOL
HA! This is your fault asking me about the Mavic a couple of weeks ago. Don't act like you are innocent.

When is yours coming?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've had a Hubsan x107C, a Phantom 2, a Phantom 3 Pro, a Phantom 3 Standard, a Phantom 3 4K, and now a Mavic.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I find the stills are useless on the mavic and P3 and opt to shoot video and just screen shot the stills i want.
I dont have blurry issues because I tap the screen all the time to focus - when tapping the screen dont tap the water or sky because any camera will have a hard time to focus on that

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice and links guys. I may try to reset the Mavic and calibrate the compass, gimbal and Imu of it doesn't work the way I want it to after that I am selling it, possibly at a loss, and will revert to flying my p4 if I can't find something better.

If the promise that was the Lily flying didn't turn out to be a big fat lie I would not even own a mavic right now. Incidentally, I have sent in two refund claims so far, one to the company and another to the law firm handling Lily refund claims. I placed my order and paid almost $600 on May 1, 2015. I doubt I will see even a dime of that money ever again.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HA! This is your fault asking me about the Mavic a couple of weeks ago. Don't act like you are innocent.

When is yours coming?
Capt.... to be honest.... I want to pull the trigger, but I dont want to drop 1300 honestly.... If I did it, Id use my best blows CC and do the 18 months interest free and pay it off in 12 months... I am undecided as they dont have them in the damn store....

But it is pretty funny i blame myself.... Chat titled " Phantom " LOL LOL

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice and links guys. I may try to reset the Mavic and calibrate the compass, gimbal and Imu of it doesn't work the way I want it to after that I am selling it, possibly at a loss, and will revert to flying my p4 if I can't find something better.

If the promise that was the Lily flying didn't turn out to be a big fat lie I would not even own a mavic right now. Incidentally, I have sent in two refund claims so far, one to the company and another to the law firm handling Lily refund claims. I placed my order and paid almost $600 on May 1, 2015. I doubt I will see even a dime of that money ever again.
That really sucks. It was a neat idea. I'm surprised someone like GoPro didn't buy them, maybe they wouldn't have screwed up the Karma at the beginning like that if they had.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Capt.... to be honest.... I want to pull the trigger, but I dont want to drop 1300 honestly.... If I did it, Id use my best blows CC and do the 18 months interest free and pay it off in 12 months... I am undecided as they dont have them in the damn store....

But it is pretty funny i blame myself.... Chat titled " Phantom " LOL LOL
Not to worry, I can help you with that (psh, thirteen hundred bucks).

Option A: https://slickdeals.net/f/10325744-mavic-pro-with-remote-controller-for-899

Option B: https://slickdeals.net/f/10322700-dji-mavic-pro-drone-999-200-dell-gc

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Man thats bogus... Who lives in those areas :p damn seriously I was just there... If they price match Dell I am all over it :)
I don't think they match Dell.com prices and I know they definitely don't match gift card offers.