• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Jet Boaters.

My name is Jason with Charger Guy and I am here to help out with your battery charging needs.
Please check out my Vendor Section at Jet Boaters.

I also made a video about battery chargers. Feel free to watch it as it covers a lot of topics. If you have any questions about battery chargers, please let me know. I am here to make sure you have a safe time on the water.

Thanks!
Jason

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard Jason. It's always nice having experts around to learn from.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
:Welcome:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Tell us all you know about batteries, its a huge topic of discussion here.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I see what you did there....;)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you feel about a Guest 2610A connected to two DieHard Platinum Marine Battery Group Size 31M batteries?

I am comfortable with the 10 amp (5 per battery charging capacity).

Is the 2610A a good charger for the batteries beyond the fact that I already have it?

Do you sell a charger that would be better? Why would it be better?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you feel about a Guest 2610A connected to two DieHard Platinum Marine Battery Group Size 31M batteries?

I am comfortable with the 10 amp (5 per battery charging capacity).

Is the 2610A a good charger for the batteries beyond the fact that I already have it?

Do you sell a charger that would be better? Why would it be better?

Hi Bruce

There is nothing wrong with that particular charger in general. However, your batteries have an amp hour rating of 105, which means they need about 10 amps PER battery (105 x 10%).
AGM's follow different factory suggestions on charging, but in general you want to stick to the 10% of the amp hour rating.

So what does this mean?

You are under charging your batteries. Does this mean it will not get a full charge? No. Does it mean the lifespan of your AGMS will not be as long as they should? Yes.
Its like putting 87 octane in your $100,000 sports car. Will it work? Yes. Should you? Not if you want to car to optimally perform but it will still get you from A to B.

Do I have chargers that would help out? Yes. Is it really necessary? That is more your call. I can tell you my chargers will send the amps where needed, so if a 20 amp 2 bank had a bank battery that is full, the other will get all 20 amps to charge faster. The guest model does not feature this.

Really, it comes down to if you want to do it or not. If it ain't broke, don't fix it come to mind here.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy, does that mean that trickle chargers are terrible for batteries? I have always thought that a slower charge was better as long as it was sufficient to meet demand.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I thought trickle charging is a way to desulfurize your battery??? And this is good yes?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce & JCYAMAHARIDER

Trickle charging is not bad for lead acid batteries to charge them, but is not the best way to charge them. Slow charge = better is OLD SCHOOL thinking. I am willing to bet you heard that from your dad or someone of an age > 50. If you are using an old garage shop charger on wheels from 30 years ago on an lead acid, sure maybe. If you are using a smart charger that has a built in computer and knows what is going on, then a slow charge is no longer necessary. With an AGM, it can actually hurt it.

The only way to desulpher your battery properly is to buy a desulpher device or get a charger that has a desulpher mode. Here is where proper charging from a good marine smart charger kicks in. When you charge and maintain a battery correctly, your sulpher issues are greatly reduced.

Either way when a smart charger does its job and full charges a battery it goes to a Float mode. Similar to the Trickle, this helps keep the battery fully charged and 'topped off". This is difference from trickle charging it while 100% dead.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Which charger would you recommend that I install? The Guest charger is sitting on my work bench. So now is the time to change if I am going to.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi Jason (@ChargerGuy ),
I just purchased two Deka Intimdator Group 24 AGM batteries and along with a Blue Seas add a battery kit will be installing them soon. I have a stock stereo system and no amps. My usage will be very minimal until I install a less than 1000 watt stereo system next year or year after next. I usually have at least 48 hours between outings and when out on the boat I don't sit and listen to music for long periods of time. I currently have a x2 extreme dual bank charger
Will I lessen the life of my AGMs if I use this charger for a few years until I upgrade my stereo? What do you recommend I get once my stereo is installed if anything?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Jason (@ChargerGuy ),
I just purchased two Deka Intimdator Group 24 AGM batteries and along with a Blue Seas add a battery kit will be installing them soon. I have a stock stereo system and no amps. My usage will be very minimal until I install a less than 1000 watt stereo system next year or year after next. I usually have at least 48 hours between outings and when out on the boat I don't sit and listen to music for long periods of time. I currently have a x2 extreme dual bank charger
Will I lessen the life of my AGMs if I use this charger for a few years until I upgrade my stereo? What do you recommend I get once my stereo is installed if anything?
Hello jetboater4life
That charger is not the best for AGM at only 2.5 amps per bank. You need about 7-8 amp per bank for proper charging, so a 15 amp charger or better would be best. Also, that charger is not an onboard charger, making it cumbersome to have to always connect and worry about the clamps.

Making sure your batteries are always good for your radio is more of a battery rating question vs a charger. Once you know what batteries you need for the radio, I can tell you what type of charger will get it charged best.

If your needs are going to change soon, then get a battery charger when you know what your setup will be. Realistically, charging with the one you have here and there will be fine. I just would not do it for months/years.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
A fine point worth adding to the discussion....There is nothing wrong with using a maintenance level smart charger (3 amp Ctek for example) for AGM or flooded batteries that are fully charged when returned to storage, such as in a tractor, 3rd car, ATV/UTV, motorcycle, jet ski, etc. The amperage capacity of the charger and desulphation concern is an equation determined by both battery storage capacity PLUS usage. If you don't draw the battery down at rest, don't draw the battery down from excessive accessories use, or only use the batteries for starting and boat operations within the capacity of the boat's charging system, then you don't need the larger capacity shore charger.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A fine point worth adding to the discussion....There is nothing wrong with using a maintenance level smart charger (3 amp Ctek for example) for AGM or flooded batteries that are fully charged when returned to storage, such as in a tractor, 3rd car, ATV/UTV, motorcycle, jet ski, etc. The amperage capacity of the charger and desulphation concern is an equation determined by both battery storage capacity PLUS usage. If you don't draw the battery down at rest, don't draw the battery down from excessive accessories use, or only use the batteries for starting and boat operations within the capacity of the boat's charging system, then you don't need the larger capacity shore charger.
This sounds like my usage pattern until I upgrade my stereo in a couple of years. I did what Mel did and have one end of a cord extension connected to the battery and the other end tucked under the rear swim deck seat cushion for easy access. After I back my boat into the garage I simply pull the cord out and plug into my charger and let it be. It's much harder to remember to unplug before I pull away. But that's never happened to anyone right! :shamefullyembarrased: :rolleyes:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've use the XPS chargers and like them. Started with a 2-bank unit when I put in the 2nd battery when my boat was new . It died with a few months, but ProMariner replaced it. After that, no problems until I added a 3rd battery so I upgraded to a 3-bank XPS. Been working great.

BUT NOW I've added a 4th battery. @ChargerGuy do you have a 4-bank charger for me?

Last edited: