• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DVSR help...

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn’t ask if I hadn’t searched all over. I can not find the tutorial with pictures for modifying the DVSR when adding a 2 bank charger. I just noticed that the red light on the DVSR was on during and after charging while the switches were off. Could someone post the link or pics or instructions for the mod? Summer is almost here!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is the manual

If you add the 2 bank charger I would think that’s all you need to do

There is an option of clipping the red wire and hooking it to the ignition switch so that the DVSR is disconnected due to its small power drawer for storage mode . Did yamaha set them up like this ? I don’t see the red wire loop but it could be tucked under the plastic cover .

With changing anything on these the 242x has carpeted panels and I could not figure out how to remove any of the switches without dismantling all the panels . One of the cables was loose I removed some of the screws but they must have lock nuts on the back side . I did slip a wrench behind the switch and was able to tighten it

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I disconnect the negative wire each time I charge, seems to do the trick.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In the diagram that @Cambo linked you can see the red wire solution. That will make it so that only when the engine/s are on will the DVSR combine batteries to charge them. Engine off, no DVSR action, 2 bank smart charger can charge both batteries independently.

Alternate solution, and what I plan to do this coming Saturday is to mess with the ground wire. Like @AJack does, but eventually install a switch on that wire. If you do the ground wire trick either buy disconnecting, or adding wire, you just need to remember to connect it before you head out on you boating adventures.

MicahH

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome info, thanks! So just adding that red loop will solve the issue? Is there an advantage to either method? If anyone has pics of their mod it would be extremely helpful...
Also, if no mod is done will there be any complications charging w the 2 bank if all the switches are off(house/parallel/start)?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
red loop is already on your DVSR. you have to snip it and connect the non hot side to the engine wire. For me that was a bit more elaborate than I'm comfortable doing. Advantage of that route is that the DVSR on/off will be "automated". No need to remember to do something with the ground wire every time you want to use the charger.

If you do no mod, then your fancy 2 bank smart charger will act as a dumb charger and you wont get the benefit of independent bank charging. I've read some folks here say that doing that may shorten the life of the batteries. If anything, I would just disconnect the ground from the DVSR when using the charger. Simple and no actual modding required.

I'll go ahead and page the smart people to see if they have pictures. @Mainah and @swatski

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I disconnect the negative wire each time I charge, seems to do the trick.
Yep, I do this too. I cut the small black negative wire to the DVSR and added "bullet" connector. I just unplug when I plug the charger in and plug them back together when I unplug the charger. Works fine.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also just disconnect the small negative wire. I installed a toggle switch on it and mounted it through my battery handle. The rule is three switches on while running three switches off while charging.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
looked through quickly threads and sub threads something else to work on

My dual bank charger has lights for float and charge and the banks light up differently showing one is in float while the other is charging based on the quick review they shouldn't be if in combined mode from the dvsr . But it looks like some deep research on this and it has a better way to have it set up .

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Cambo did you ever figure out how to remove the DVSR switch and other switches on the panel? I unscrewed them but they seem to still be stuck to the wall. I need to check my solar panel wires but can't get to them!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the same thing. It actually bolts through into the engine area. Lift the hatch and you’ll see the nuts were it’s mounted.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did the same thing. It actually bolts through into the engine area. Lift the hatch and you’ll see the nuts were it’s mounted.
Oh dude. Really?! Gotta check that out

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus I didnt but that sounds worth investigating

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't remember exactly what I did but believe I cut the red loop and added a toggle to it. When plugged in to charge I flip switch to off, when not plugged in it goes to on and everything functions as should by factory including stock solar panels on my 242 LSE

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't remember exactly what I did but believe I cut the red loop and added a toggle to it. When plugged in to charge I flip switch to off, when not plugged in it goes to on and everything functions as should by factory including stock solar panels on my 242 LSE
Yep, I believe that's the same as what the "engine-on" connection does in @Mainah original fix.

--

Kevin-yyz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you do the “engines on” mod vs. installing a switch on the dvsr ground wire will that eliminate the ability of the solar panel to trickle charge the batteries while at anchor?

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's a great question. Not sure. @Mainah ?