• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical starting question

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2006 SX 230 been having an issue where I turn key and get nothing then turn it again and boat starts fine. We went out on boat yesterday and when we went to leave turn key and nothing but a click coming from the main electrical box on back wall of boat engine compartment, the clicking was coming from under the panel where the battery wire goes in and starter lead comes out, I see there is a starter relay immediatly behind this would the relay just click if it was bad? Batteries are fully charged in boat other engine fires right up. Guess my thoughts are the relay is bad but I dont know enough about relays to know if it would just click if it was bad, part is $75 so i kinda wanna be sure it is it,

Another this i was able to get it started, I thought if I turned key on and jumped between the battery lead and starter lead it would start, it did crank but did not start, after that i just tried the key again and it started right up, (thank god i did not want to go home 12 miles idling on one engine against the current) when i got boat bat to house, same thing turn key and relay just clicked, did the exact same thing as before and it started with key. Thanks for any ideas and help

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like the starter solenoid (relay).

You could switch them between motors and see if you problem moves to other motor. Verify part is bad.

Also I do not know if generic part may be available for less money. But you also can order online and save 30 to 40%, compared to going to dealer.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think you are on the right path. I was initially going to say your ignition switch, and have you swap them to see if it goes to the other engine. But then you say you heard the clicking noise, so probably not your ignition switch. I'm going with your initial assessment and subscribing to this thread so I can see what the final conclusion is.

Good Luck!

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im wondering if I have to remove the box to get this part out, because that will be a pain. gotta unhook quite a bit , i was getting the part from yamaha sports plaza they are 30% off. That was the $75. here

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too think that you're on the right path. You could try swapping relay and ignition switch first just to verify which part is bad first before ordering.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The solenoid is in the control box. Clicking but not starting is consistent with a failed solenoid. I believe you can remove it without removing the box but I have been fortunate to have never needed to access it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yup! Sounds about right. Haven't had an issue starting since. Not too bad an install really. I never really cleaned up all the wiresfrom this and you may not aactually need to pull the box from the wall, but it makes it easier to work on. I am not very small so I like to get stuff on the bench.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Hopefully it will come out but Im prepared to remove box. Ordered new parts will post after install.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks for reporting back.