• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine anti rust spray

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Elliott @jocolo21
I got the Corrosion-X in red, 1 gal, it is greenish in appearance and pretty viscose. I can't spray it like I do with CRC6-56. It is way too viscose, more like motor oil.
View attachment 138381
Are you guys just using the aerosol spray? If you use strait liquid, how do you apply it?
It comes out as thick stream, kind of gloppy, and just clings...
View attachment 138380

If I can "cut it" with some solvent?
There is no way this can be sprayed as is.
I talked to the seller (ZORO), they sent me the SDS, look slike it's pretty viscose, but I can't get viscosity data for CRC to compare.
They say the blue and red are exactly the same product which I believe is correct. Just different packaging.

--
I have just always used the aerosol can, and the product is just the right viscosity to cling (it will run if you spray too much).

From my 1 DEC post: As to the Corrosion X, I just use the red/regular aerosol spray. A big can lasted over two years with just one boat, trailer spring packs and hardware (I never use the trailer except for the yearly trip to the dealer and hurricane evacuations) and external electrical components (circuit boards and etc. for frig., water heater and furnace) in vented compartments on our travel trailer - all being treated once a year. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have just always used the aerosol can, and the product is just the right viscosity to cling (it will run if you spray too much).

From my 1 DEC post: As to the Corrosion X, I just use the red/regular aerosol spray. A big can lasted over two years with just one boat, trailer spring packs and hardware (I never use the trailer except for the yearly trip to the dealer and hurricane evacuations) and external electrical components (circuit boards and etc. for frig., water heater and furnace) in vented compartments on our travel trailer - all being treated once a year. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
Very helpful, thank you.

I'll need to figure out how to atomize the formula I got.

--

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you think one of those inexpensive small paint sprayers would work - the ones rated for unthinned latex paint?

$169 at Home Depot - it says unthinned paint, and you just fill the attached small tank. Since Corrosion X does not dry like paint, I would think that you would not need to clean the sprayer after use. Also like most all sprayers, it can be used for stains, and many stains are flammable - so no safety issue.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Dang it. You ain't kidding'... The reviews are almost raving lunatic fanatic - all rolled into one! Ordering a 1/2 dozen now!
thing is magic, used to be into rc boats years ago, when you dump or roll the boat the electronics will be wasted, i ll spray it with this stuff and they will work again. Dont ask me how, but it works, i spray everything with it, specially electronics.
Buy the the aerosol can.

corrosion x

Last edited:

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So I have CX HD and man that stuffs stinks and it is “gloopy,” but I bought that for the trailer. I honestly could careless about the pretty look of a painted trailer as long as every component is essentially corrosion proof! By the way, I hit EVERYTHING on the trailer - doused it from nose to trailer, then took a raggedy rag and just spread it out. The thing has been christened in salt water... No salt formed on the trailer. NO signs of corrosion. And one spot that got missed which rusted almost instantly? Spot treated, wiped it down a half later, voila. NO more rust. This stuff is nuts!

As for CX OG, do you spray the WHOLE engine compartment down? Do you spot treat? Answers to this have been either very ambiguous or insanely detailed (someone said they spot treated every component in the engine for a 5 hour evolution once a year - nope. Not doing that.)

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I have CX HD and man that stuffs stinks and it is “gloopy,” but I bought that for the trailer. I honestly could careless about the pretty look of a painted trailer as long as every component is essentially corrosion proof! By the way, I hit EVERYTHING on the trailer - doused it from nose to trailer, then took a raggedy rag and just spread it out. The thing has been christened in salt water... No salt formed on the trailer. NO signs of corrosion. And one spot that got missed which rusted almost instantly? Spot treated, wiped it down a half later, voila. NO more rust. This stuff is nuts!

As for CX OG, do you spray the WHOLE engine compartment down? Do you spot treat? Answers to this have been either very ambiguous or insanely detailed (someone said they spot treated every component in the engine for a 5 hour evolution once a year - nope. Not doing that.)
With the Red/Regular aerosol can, I spray anything metal or electrical in the engine compartment once a year. So, spray everything down with a light coat and you are done.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apologies guys if this has already been answered. I have always been a Yama Lube guy. I spray my wave runner after each and every ride once I complete my wash-downs. Are you saying that using the CX Red in aerosol form on the engine compartment once a year is enough?

I know the engine compartments of wave runners see more water splashing on them than a Jet Boat, so that is why i'm curious.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Is it overkill spraying everything down on freshwater? But if it is a good thing to do I’ll start doing it.
I have a 2003 SeaDoo PWC (195 S on deposit) and always used their version of Yamashield without any issues. Mostly fresh water use. I spray everything in the engine compartment, never an issue.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you think one of those inexpensive small paint sprayers would work - the ones rated for unthinned latex paint?

$169 at Home Depot - it says unthinned paint, and you just fill the attached small tank. Since Corrosion X does not dry like paint, I would think that you would not need to clean the sprayer after use. Also like most all sprayers, it can be used for stains, and many stains are flammable - so no safety issue.
That would likely work in principle, however, need something with a wand so a piezoelectric sprayer would not be ideal to reach in where I like to reach in, both in the engine bay and trailer when the boat is on it.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thing is magic, used to be into rc boats years ago, when you dump or roll the boat the electronics will be wasted, i ll spray it with this stuff and they will work again. Dont ask me how, but it works, i spray everything with it, specially electronics.
Buy the the aerosol can.

corrosion x
The thing is, they are showing it in a gallon jug (which I just purchased) next to a spray bottle next to a spray can. But, the one in a jug does NOT spray from any aftermarket spray bottle or sprayer - I tried three (3) different ones. I guess it might work with a electric sprayer, that's not an option.

I guess I should have purchased a few spray cans instead, for the same price!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apologies guys if this has already been answered. I have always been a Yama Lube guy. I spray my wave runner after each and every ride once I complete my wash-downs. Are you saying that using the CX Red in aerosol form on the engine compartment once a year is enough?

I know the engine compartments of wave runners see more water splashing on them than a Jet Boat, so that is why i'm curious.
I, for one, do not think it is enough. Since moving into salt I have at least doubled my CRC 6-56 regimen of dousing everything I can reach in it, but am looking for even better options. I do it before and after every run. My linkages work great and I am not looking forward to replacing those as long as I can keep them as smooth as new.
Need to figure out how to spray the C-X, I guess a spray can(s) may work, unfortunately the 1 gal contents are so viscose they come out as a glop, may need to be cut/diluted, I figure maybe mineral spirits which is what is the vehicle there anyway per SDS.

--

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I, for one, do not think it is enough. Since moving into salt I have at least doubled my CRC 6-56 regimen of dousing everything I can reach in it, but am looking for even better options. I do it before and after every run. My linkages work great and I am not looking forward to replacing those as long as I can keep them as smooth as new.
That is my concern also. I know lots of people are against it, but on my first waverunner that i purchased in 95, i used WD-40 exclusively until i learned about Yamahas own stuff and then stuck to that. I rode about 98% salt with that ski. When I sold it last year, there was no sign of rust on it anywhere, even the original trailer didn't have any rust, well except for the U-bolts on the leaf springs but that was more surface rust than anything else. My point is that i would literally bathe the ski and engine compartment before I went out and after each ride. I'm curious if CX allows us to not require bathing the components as much.

I ordered the Aerosol can and will try it out to see how much it clings after riding in the salt.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That would likely work in principle, however, need something with a wand so a piezoelectric sprayer would not be ideal to reach in where I like to reach in, both in the engine bay and trailer when the boat is on it.

--
Possibly this paint sprayer that comes with a 20 inch extension wand? You might be able to rent one to try it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Possibly this paint sprayer that comes with a 20 inch extension wand? You might be able to rent one to try it.

No sir, not doing that.
I'm pretty sure I would be kicked to the curb if this showed up...
...another thing for the boat, lol.

--

Last edited:

TwoSips

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So far so good. CX HD for trailer. CX Red can for engine compartment, cleats, wiring and anything metal I can wipe down with this stuff. It is bullet proof. Oddly enough, I'm preferring my 252 SE for salt water in the Harbor. It'll soon enough be swimming in the Gulf Coast most days, but until then, SD Harbor it is. NO good fresh water options in SD.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far so good. CX HD for trailer. CX Red can for engine compartment, cleats, wiring and anything metal I can wipe down with this stuff. It is bullet proof. Oddly enough, I'm preferring my 252 SE for salt water in the Harbor. It'll soon enough be swimming in the Gulf Coast most days, but until then, SD Harbor it is. NO good fresh water options in SD.
That's good to know. I guess CX in a can is the way to go; for bulk applications I'll continue w/ CRC6-56 1gal in sprayer bottles.

--

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Just FYI. I picked up my Corrosion X from Aircraft Spruce which is a distributor of Aviation Equipment and located beside a local airport. It seems the Aviation world has been on to CX for a long time. Grabbed 2 cans (aircraft approved so the can is a different colour) BUT they also had a large application system with its own tank and wands that aircraft owners use to cover their entire plane. There are even videos. So if your CX job requires more than a few cans.... checkout an aircraft distributor for some options.