• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Just quit

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yamaha242lsdallas what a bummer. I don't think I've ever read about a timing chain failure yet. I'm glad to hear that Yamaha is replacing the engine for you, hopefully you'll get a chance to at least shake it down before winter storage.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is good news! At least the new motor. Reed Hill handles Phil Dill's warranty claims with Yamaha, and he is fantastic at his job! And Toby Blackney, the service manager, well, the service dept hasn't been so well run since I have known the dealership! Who is the tech on your boat? Ivan, Olin?
I'm not sure I caught his name. all I know is he has been doing this since at least the 70's. Has a lot of experience and is meticulous with his work.

And yes, any service issues I have had, Phil Dill has been top notch about addressing them.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sounds like Olin. But Ivan has been there a long time too, and they are both certified on the Yamahas

64galaxie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had a similar issue with my boat. It was one of the kill switch improperly set. The hatch was not fully engaging the switch. Found it by using tape over the switch. Good luck.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yamaha242lsdallas what a bummer. I don't think I've ever read about a timing chain failure yet. I'm glad to hear that Yamaha is replacing the engine for you, hopefully you'll get a chance to at least shake it down before winter storage.
I read a thread where someone had a timing chain failure twice on the same engine and with very few hours. It may have been some "other" forum.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another update:

All the parts for the new engine have been approved by Yamaha, and orders sent in. Here is what I'm not understanding: they are going to ship each part individuality, they may have a few of the parts together by chance, but overall they are all coming in at different times.

If they are giving a new engine why cant they just ship a crate engine to the dealer and drop it in?? Why all in pieces? From what the dealer told me everything was going to be replaced to eliminate any risk of something else that may have been damaged but not apparent.

Also everything is coming from Japan :( so I'm hearing end of September until all parts come in, then its a 3 day job to assemble the engine, put it in the boat and test it for a number of hours.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Ok, bad enough to have to replace engines. But I agree the parts thing would drive me completely batty.

Can they loan you a new 242 Limited S while you wait? That seems fair and reasonable.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, long time for an update. Good and bad:

Bad - I had to wait until December to get my boat back and had to make a few calls into Yamaha to "help" motivate them along with shipping parts etc.

The Good - Boat works :) !! runs like a top and Yamaha extended my warranty for one more year. Also Phil Dill made it right by covering some work free of charge.

I had a few days to take the boat out when it was high 70's so basically only got my break-in period done on the new engine. Now I just have to change the oil on the older engine and I'm ready for summer! All in all glad to have my boat back. Now for some more mods :)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you got the boat back!!

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to hear that you're up and running again!!!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What a relief...hopefully it was just a fluke. Run it like you stole it.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wow...what an ordeal, and with good Yamaha and dealer support! What a nightmare this could have been with other dealers. I am fuzzy on the engine arriving in parts. Did you find out if they replaced the entire engine new or just the components affected and possibly affected? My guess is that they didn't replace with a factory new engine, but that they used new components to rebuild this engine to new condition. I am guessing the block is original and that they replaced the head, possibly the gear sets on both the crank and cams, timing chain, and if the pistons and valves collided, they may have replaced the connecting rods and pistons too. I'm just guessing here, and either way, I wouldn't be concerned at all. First off, you had a guy rebuilding it that could do it in his sleep. Secondly, a rebuilt engine to factory specs is just as good as new, as they mic all surfaces and restore to new condition. I am glad your up and running and that Yamaha not only stood behind it, but gave you another year on the warranty! Enjoy the upcoming season!

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow...what an ordeal, and with good Yamaha and dealer support! What a nightmare this could have been with other dealers. I am fuzzy on the engine arriving in parts. Did you find out if they replaced the entire engine new or just the components affected and possibly affected? My guess is that they didn't replace with a factory new engine, but that they used new components to rebuild this engine to new condition. I am guessing the block is original and that they replaced the head, possibly the gear sets on both the crank and cams, timing chain, and if the pistons and valves collided, they may have replaced the connecting rods and pistons too. I'm just guessing here, and either way, I wouldn't be concerned at all. First off, you had a guy rebuilding it that could do it in his sleep. Secondly, a rebuilt engine to factory specs is just as good as new, as they mic all surfaces and restore to new condition. I am glad your up and running and that Yamaha not only stood behind it, but gave you another year on the warranty! Enjoy the upcoming season!
Nope, Totally new. They put everything in new, Yamaha was telling me they would not warranty it if original parts were used. Things like the intake water boxes etc were reused but the motor was totally new shipped from Japan (but in pieces), even the block.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am glad to hear you are fixed up! Did you ever get a loaner, just curious?

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am glad to hear you are fixed up! Did you ever get a loaner, just curious?
Nope, just sat around watching the temp slowly get colder and colder waning away just like my hopes of getting back on the water last season. Was never offered one, and I did ask, but no dice.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interestingly enough, on the other forum, there is a post about a problem that ended up being a cam chain issue on 2013 SX19 (Feb 2015).

Robert_o

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just read this post and I am now in the same situation, 2013 ar190 with 98 hours and this last weekend engine just died. I performed a compression test and have 0 on all four cylinders. I don't know what to do now. Guess i am up creek. Wonder how much it is gonna cost me?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just read this post and I am now in the same situation, 2013 ar190 with 98 hours and this last weekend engine just died. I performed a compression test and have 0 on all four cylinders. I don't know what to do now. Guess i am up creek. Wonder how much it is gonna cost me?
Sorry to read about this...How did you test compression? What happened that this engine quit and "just died"? If the cranks and you check compression in all cylinders at 0, then something between the lower half and upper half of the engine isn't connected, or you would have compression. First question, are you still in warranty? Second question, what were you doing when it died? Specifics here. It would probably be good to do your own post on this so help can follow you.